Weather red warning

Ireland Wales and north west to be hit by 100mph winds. Expect disruption to transport and structural damage . . . . Now the risks are known in advance who is going to put themselves and others at risk for 8 or 9 pound an hour.

More importantly with employers having a duty of care to their employees which is enshrined in law, how many hauliers will send their drivers out putting pressure on them to drive in it?

All of them because it’s not wet or windy in the office.

and if they are paying £6.70 an hour they couldnt give a tinkers toss what happens to them. There attitude would be there are plenty more where they come from.

Good job I’m off for two weeks :smiley:

Shame it’s for an operation :frowning:

Slackbladder:

The above but then they need to go home early because of the weather

If the weather gets too bad the insurance company sometimes will order them to take vehicles off the road.

■■■■■■00:
Now the risks are known in advance who is going to put themselves and others at risk for 8 or 9 pound an hour.

Me, I’ll be playing it by ear, minute by minute as I’m driving, if it feels that bad that it may not safe then I’ll pull over, if it feels ok then I carry on.

mac12:

Slackbladder:

That’s true, they will just leave early as they " essential staff".

just heard M6 closed in both directions in cheshire due to the wind …more on the BBC website

Slackbladder:

mac12:

Slackbladder:

That’s true, they will just leave early as they " essential staff".

Last night was bad enough with the blizzards going over Shap just reading the west coast trains not running due to the winds but not a chance my company will stop running going to Preston tonight from Glasgow right into the heart of this storm Cannae wait !

BBC Website:
M6 Cheshire, both ways between A556 [M6 junction 19] and M62 [M6 junction 21A]
M6 Cheshire - M6 closed and severe delays in both directions between J19, A556 (Knutsford) and J21a, M62 (Croft Interchange), because of strong winds. Diversion in operation - northbound drivers leaving the M6 at junction 19 at Knutsford and rejoining the M6 at Croft Interchange via the northbound A556, M56 (eastbound), clockwise M60 and westbound M62. Southbound vice versa.

From bbc.co.uk/travelnews/motorways

That’s a total of three train companies that are suspending travel. Does it not say somewhere that if you aware beforehand that it is dangerous to drive then you should not.
Since the introductions of corporate manslaughter where the guy at the top can face criminal charges train and plane and sometimes bus take or suspend their journeys.

What risk assessment and duty of care can over ride this weather warning.

Has anyones company actually said to them its too dangerous tonight don’t run ? In all my time driving not once & ive pulled over a few times as it was just ridiculous 'Ultimately companys only care about the load on the back & profit margins not the drivers

humberside.police.uk/newsmed … conditions

I’ve just travelled east along the M62/A63 into Hull. Tbh the Ouse bridge wasn’t that bad, but as I ran alongside the Humber I figured it was the first time I’d ever seen waves crashing onto the banks there.

M62

avonandsomerset.police.uk/n … ong-winds/

Spine Road in Bristol closed due to strong winds

Written by Corporate Communications department on 12 February 2014 at 16:55

We have closed Spine Road, St Philips Causeway, Arnos Vale, Bristol, in both directions as a safety precaution due to the high winds.

The decision has been made after the strong winds meant a lorry was blown over while driving along the road earlier this afternoon. The driver has been taken to hospital but he is not thought to have been seriously injured in the incident.

Drivers are being advised to avoid the area until the road is re-opened. It is unknown at the time when that might be.

M6 shut both directions by J16.A lgv has crashed in to a fallen tree.Driver injured.999 crews at the scene.

Both bridges over the Menai Straits now closed to lorries.Rest areas being set up by Red Cross and Anglesey council.Britannia bridge was closed to all traffic earlier because of a lorry blown over.Take care everyone!