Wearing glasses when driving

Just after some advice I’ve just had my 2 yearly check up for eye sight test and I now have to wear glasses all the time when driving Hgvs if I was just driving a car I would have been ok without glasses this is what the optician said when I had the eye sight test done . I could still read the line which equates to reading a number plate 20 metres away . But next few lines below I couldn’t make out all the letters clearly . I used to have to wear glasses around 13 years ago which the dvla knew about from when I got my car licence back in 1997 I had laser eye treatment back in 2003 which gave me 20/20 vision but sadly my short sightedness has increased again . What I would like to know do I need to inform the dvla their has been a change in my eyesight and I now have to wear glasses when driving

No,as long as you pass your HGV medical as and when required (with or without glasses),tell them nothing :sunglasses:

Ok cheers for the reply my Hgv medical not due for another 8 years yet

I don’t see why you need to pass a different eye sight test at all. You can see, or you can’t see. WTF difference does it make, what you drive ?

No need to tell the DVLA anything as long as your eye sight is passing the required driving laws with corrective treatment in place ie glasses.
Different if the field of vision is impaired by cataracts or Glaucoma and glasses and eye drops are not reducing or improving the problem.

I am now retired (aged 70) but kept my HGV/PSV License up to the age of 67. On my last medical
the doctor said “You may want to think about wearing glasses when driving”. When my new license
arrived I checked it for dates and entitlements and noted that it had a restriction on it (No 2 if
I remember correctly). Checked this out and it seems I must “wear corrective aids” (Glasses to
you and me) when driving. No hassle, I make sure I wear them all the time when driving as I
am worried about my insurance should I have a accident and was not wearing them. Would suggest
when your eyes start to feel strained you have another test, if the results are adverse the
optician will inform DVLA who will place similar restriction on your license if they deem it necessary.

If it’s been noted on your medical form your new licence will have 01 code against each classification that it’s relevant to, in my case it’s all of them. The downside of that is, if I’m stopped by the authorities of involved in say an accident and I’m not wearing them their records will show that I should be, and they could potentially prosecute me for driving with defective eyesight.

peterm:
I don’t see why you need to pass a different eye sight test at all. You can see, or you can’t see. WTF difference does it make, what you drive ?

Perhaps if all drivers had to have eyesight tests then perhaps they wouldn’t collide with bright yellow trailers.

I was fitted with glasses for the first time two years back.

My eyes are now such that with glasses on, my eyesight is as good as ever.
With them off though? - I can’t read anything, and can’t do any kind of close work. Driving forwards I can just about manage, but don’t ask me to reverse, especially in the pouring rain!

SO… I failed my “glasses off” eyesight periodic test at work. Passed it easily with glasses on though.

My licence is still considered “Clean”, but has one of those little 3-digit codes on it for “DVLA aware” now, along with the blood pressure pills I take.

If I turned up to work without my glasses - I would be sent straight home. Safety nets are there for a reason! :neutral_face:

peterm:

Exactly true. If you require specs to drive and you do not wear them and you are involved in a accident you will be in the (zb)
because it is recorded if you have been told to wear them.
It’s amazing how many people think they can see when they cannot. :unamused:
Get them tested.

Yes i have the 01 codes too, but its rare i wear them when driving, as my eyesight is perfectly fine, can read the signs, number plates etc, and a pay slip ( which is more important ) but i do realise that some bright spark would recognise the fact i am not wearing them…although i do carry a pair with me, In France, a driver with the restrictions on the licence, MUST carry a spare pair too or be fined.
As with the original question, i believe it is a requirement to notify DVLA of any medical condition, and maybe, an optician would notify them anyway, the same as a hospital would, your choice at the end of the day.

You are quite right trucky boy. You are also required to carry a spare pair in this country if you need them for driving.

peirre:
If it’s been noted on your medical form your new licence will have 01 code against each classification that it’s relevant to, in my case it’s all of them. The downside of that is, if I’m stopped by the authorities of involved in say an accident and I’m not wearing them their records will show that I should be, and they could potentially prosecute me for driving with defective eyesight.

My licence is the same, well it would be if I renewed it. 01 on all classes, it is a pain in the bum on a motorbike

Wheel Nut:

peirre:

My licence is the same, well it would be if I renewed it. 01 on all classes, it is a pain in the bum on a motorbike

Contact lenses for 2 wheels. Saves bending your legs!

Baggie:
No,as long as you pass your HGV medical as and when required (with or without glasses),tell them nothing :sunglasses:

And when he has a slight accident, and had not informed DVLA . Hmm yes, he will say thanks to you,

If you have a bump just say you had contacts in.

LASHHGV:
If you have a bump just say you had contacts in.

Then hope a copper doesn’t do an on the spot eyesight test :unamused:

They fell out in the crash :grimacing:

Uncle Albie:
You are quite right trucky boy. You are also required to carry a spare pair in this country if you need them for driving.

I think you will find that this is best practice, not a legal requirement in the UK.

peterm:

In practical terms. it makes no difference what you are driving as to how well you can see. But on a technicality its a whole world of differences.

Though I have 01 on all classes on my licence and have allways worn glasses, I’m pretty chuffed about the difference between an ordinary licence and a vocational licence, at least for those of us who got our HGV’s when it was still HGV, as under the updated eyesight requirements I’m sailing close to the wind these days so My optician tells Me, but that under the Grandfather rights my licence is secure. Which just shows that there must be a reasonable difference in sight requirements between the old and new specifications.

discoman:

Baggie:

And when he has a slight accident, and had not informed DVLA . Hmm yes, he will say thanks to you,

I thought that too, its no good trying to get around these people, same as with the insurance thread the other week, it will be all fine and dandy til it goes wrong, and if god forbid it goes wrong in a big way, well just think “Glasgow bin lorry crash” and ask yourself, is it worth being dragged over the coals because for whatever reason you didnt wish to wear specs, it will be used against you :wink:

My optician told me(when I had a check up in june) that an optician will be required to fill the eyesight section of any vocational licence application or renewal, not sure when thats starting, not that I’m worried about it, as last time and I intend to next year, get an up to date prescription prior to the medical and hand that over, job done :wink: