Wearing glasses when driving

I had my medical on Tuesday and took a prescription with me. The doctor did the normal read off the chart (Snellens) test and was satisfied with the result. This was the same procedure as in 2012.

Fincham:
I had my medical on Tuesday and took a prescription with me. The doctor did the normal read off the chart (Snellens) test and was satisfied with the result. This was the same procedure as in 2012.

My last one was 2012, didn’t bother with chart as I gave him the prescription :smiley: oh well see what happens next year. :wink:

eddie snax:
oh well see what happens next year. :wink:

Or not, as the case may be! :smiley:

the maoster:

eddie snax:
oh well see what happens next year. :wink:

Or not, as the case may be! :smiley:

No, something will happen, even if its Snow on new years day :wink:

discoman:

Baggie:
No,as long as you pass your HGV medical as and when required (with or without glasses),tell them nothing :sunglasses:

And when he has a slight accident, and had not informed DVLA . Hmm yes, he will say thanks to you,

specsavers.co.uk/help-and-f … or-driving

eddie snax:

peterm:
I don’t see why you need to pass a different eye sight test at all. You can see, or you can’t see. WTF difference does it make, what you drive ?

In practical terms. it makes no difference what you are driving as to how well you can see. But on a technicality its a whole world of differences.

Though I have 01 on all classes on my licence and have allways worn glasses, I’m pretty chuffed about the difference between an ordinary licence and a vocational licence, at least for those of us who got our HGV’s when it was still HGV, as under the updated eyesight requirements I’m sailing close to the wind these days so My optician tells Me, but that under the Grandfather rights my licence is secure. Which just shows that there must be a reasonable difference in sight requirements between the old and new specifications.

discoman:
What I was getting at, read annoyed about, is that a car driver, a motorcyclist, a lorry driver, etc, etc, should all have to pass the same eye sight test. I got my HGV under grandfather rights too and agree with what you say, but all new drivers should face the same sight test if it’s been updated.

peterm:
What I was getting at, read annoyed about, is that a car driver, a motorcyclist, a lorry driver, etc, etc, should all have to pass the same eye sight test. I got my HGV under grandfather rights too and agree with what you say, but all new drivers should face the same sight test if it’s been updated.

That’s true, but politicians are too scared of a public backlash if they impinge on the car driving public, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

eddie snax:

peterm:

That’s true, but politicians are too scared of a public backlash if they impinge on the car driving public, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

It’s never bothered them before, they have used the motorist as a good source of income for decades without any qualms.

trucker10:
Just after some advice I’ve just had my 2 yearly check up for eye sight test and I now have to wear glasses all the time when driving Hgvs if I was just driving a car I would have been ok without glasses this is what the optician said when I had the eye sight test done . I could still read the line which equates to reading a number plate 20 metres away . But next few lines below I couldn’t make out all the letters clearly . I used to have to wear glasses around 13 years ago which the dvla knew about from when I got my car licence back in 1997 I had laser eye treatment back in 2003 which gave me 20/20 vision but sadly my short sightedness has increased again . What I would like to know do I need to inform the dvla their has been a change in my eyesight and I now have to wear glasses when driving

Yes, you must. I have worn glasses all my life. Your licence will be changed on the reverse to show an 01 restriction against the appropriate categories. It won’t affect your livelihood.

If you don’t report it and are involved in an accident you could then be in deep doo doo if your eyesight was investigated.

Fincham:

eddie snax:

peterm:

It’s never bothered them before, they have used the motorist as a good source of income for decades without any qualms.

Having to cough up more for fuel is one thing, losing your licence due to poor eyesight is a whole different ball game, joe public will be ringing every phone in show going to complain at the injustice :unamused:

Another issue relates to buses and coaches. If the vehicle is used for carrying fare paying passengers, whatever it’s age, then a class D licence is required. If the vehicle is over thirty years old and carries up to eight non fare paying passengers then a car licence, issued before 1997, will suffice. Therefore to drive the same vehicle you could comply with either eye test.

Fincham:
Another issue relates to buses and coaches. If the vehicle is used for carrying fare paying passengers, whatever it’s age, then a class D licence is required. If the vehicle is over thirty years old and carries up to eight non fare paying passengers then a car licence, issued before 1997, will suffice. Therefore to drive the same vehicle you could comply with either eye test.

Bloody daft ain’t it.

Thing is specs only help if you look at what you are meant to.Unfortunately a lot of drivers do not do that.
Too easily distracted and that includes some lorry drivers. :unamused:

Uncle Albie:
Thing is specs only help if you look at what you are meant to.Unfortunately a lot of drivers do not do that.
Too easily distracted and that includes some lorry drivers. :unamused:

Welcome back Albion. Hope you enjoyed Oz, forget your log in did you?