Watch out Dave Youngs about!

Dave Young wrote Rikki`s column this week in Commercial Motor this week so he must be spying on us.

He even quoted from some of the forums, he must be missing the open road and the banter !! His pension must have run out and he needed something to do rather than sit in the pub all day.

Nice to know Dave is still about and going strong.

I nicked this from my desktop ticker :wink:

Despite it being the holiday season, with most drivers en famille in Barbados, TruckNet UK is busy as ever.

On the UK Professional Drivers’ forum, a very frequently asked question receives an airing: ‘Why are suzies called suzies?’ “The name derives from the designer, Mrs Susan Chamberlain. She worked for Allied Plastics of Stockport (who made them) during the early 60s, I think,” ventures ‘Trubrit’.

“It’s short for 'suspended couplings” declares one contributor confidently. Both derivations have the ring of plausibility and aren’t mutually exclusive but seekers after further enlightenment might best avoid Googling ‘sussies’ as did some contributors with unexpected results.

The subject of flashing (to inform a truck overtaking you when it’s safe to pull in, not the sleazy version) is debated under the heading ‘Bad drivers’. Common courtesy or outmoded practice? Such consensus as exists suggests whether to flash, or not, should depend on speed.

“If I pass you like you’re parked, I won’t expect to be flashed in, but if I’ve just spent five minutes passing you, then I’d like to know when it’s safe to pull in please,” says one respondent.

‘My first
jack-knife’ is a must-read title, and, although the incident in question did not result in serious injury, the thread contains useful information on how to arrest a sliding trailer.

The ‘No longer in business’ thread begins as an attempt to chronicle those firms recently fallen on the haulage battlefield, kicking off with Macfarlane and Ramage Distribution.

“Most haulage businesses go bust because they tie themselves into contracts at a crippling rate with low profit margins. The fuel price goes up, they go bust,” is one comment.

And some cheery reading on the New and Wannabe Drivers forum: ‘Got my first job/questions’ writes one rookie, struggling with the complexities of digitachs.

Immediately TruckNet UK members pitch in with advice based on years of experience to guide him through those first few solo days. Restores your faith in fellow drivers, it really does.

Dave Young
Powered by Commercial Motor

He’s quoted me again… without attribution too…

I keep getting quoted, is it because I’m right? Or a gobby cow? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A gobby Moo Ali…lolol

And what is your point?

seems like a seemless thread to me, unless you can sue him for copyright. :angry:

allikat:
He’s quoted me again… without attribution too…

I keep getting quoted, is it because I’m right? Or a gobby cow? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well off subject here, (sorry) but did you ever drive for a norwich firm that had a rigid with a parrot on the curtains?

At least when Mr Young had the helm T&D was for the driver and had real editorial integrity,

Not like now when it’s just out for publicity.

How can Bob Monks have 2 letters published in consecutive months saying urtu are the only union for drivers when all they look after are bakery workers.

When a letter to T&D in reply to his letter was clompletely ignored.

Mr Monks as been inviterd to talk to drivers on at least 2 occaisons so he can tell us what his union would do for drivers.

On both occaisions he has not even bothered to reply.

T&D is nothing but propaganda these days, probably government controlled trying to tell us thatb everything is rosey in the world of transport when we all know it’s not.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
T&D is nothing but propaganda these days, probably government controlled trying to tell us thatb everything is rosey in the world of transport when we all know it’s not.

:astonished: :astonished:
Are the men in the RBI van on their way round yet? :wink:

Actually I disagree with some of what you post. T&D likes to publish lots of doom and gloom.
But at the same time, will publish bugger all from anyone suggesting action or protests to solve the above, because it could be controversial, or ethically uncorrect, or because someone might get sued.

Just like a union really :sunglasses: :laughing:

Alex

Some letters written to a serious trade magazine would not even get past the bin. That is the advantage of these forums.

Many people from these forums, including myself have had several letters published in CM & Truck and Driver.

The magazine editor will probably select a well written factual letter, in much the same way as a transport company will select a Curriculam Vitae.

Wheel Nut:
Some letters written to a serious trade magazine would not even get past the bin. That is the advantage of these forums.

Many people from these forums, including myself have had several letters published in CM & Truck and Driver.

The magazine editor will probably select a well written factual letter, in much the same way as a transport company will select a Curriculam Vitae.

The letter was a well constructed, intelligent letter asking mr Monks to take part in a Q&A session on the state of the unions and what they would do for drivers and the transport industry in general, as I said earlier he had already recieved 2 letters to him personally and Mr Monks did not have the courtesy to reply.
So me being the cynic that I am I presumed the letter did not get published for the same reason, Mr Monks doesn’t want to talk to drivers, just take their subs of them every month.

We asked Mr Monks to get involved with a project no reply, even when his secretary was given full details what we wanted to do still no reply. What we didnt mention was there was money to be made by the union for a joint project.

If Mr Monks doesnt want to talk to some group or another, surely that is a matter between Mr Monks and that person/ those people.

I fail to see how a letter to a completly seperate magazine not being published is relevant. As has been stated already if T & D published every letter it recieved then there would be very little else in the magazine. It is not for T&D or THIS website to intervene in a matter between other people/organisations

Rikki-UK:
If Mr Monks doesnt want to talk to some group or another, surely that is a matter between Mr Monks and that person/ those people.

I fail to see how a letter to a completly seperate magazine not being published is relevant. As has been stated already if T & D published every letter it recieved then there would be very little else in the magazine. It is not for T&D or THIS website to intervene in a matter between other people/organisations

That is exactly the point, Mr Monks doesn;t want to talk to anyone.
And it doesn’t help when a mag that says it’s 100% behind drivers doesn’t include a letter to prove that it’s 100% behind drivers.

we can’t upset Mr Monks can we, how much does URTU spend on advertising in T&D

So to prove that T&D is a drivers magazine they would have to print every letter they recieve? from all and every aspect of the industry and encompassing all viewpoints ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I seem to remember a lot of letters from various campaigning organisations being printed in there in the past. Just because a single letter isnt published , wether that is due to space, or simply the editor felt there were other letters that were more print worthy means the magazine is somehow letting all drivers down? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Perhaps, and I dont know for sure as I havent spoken to Will, but just perhaps, T&D like TruckNet UK has no desire to get involved in between two different organisations and would rather they sorted it out between themselves without attempting to involve other people :bulb: :bulb:

And this is my final word on the subject, We do not allow discussion of other websites business on this forum, this is an issue between Truckersworld and the URTU and as such should remain between them and not on here.
Any questions regarding T&D should be directed to the T&D editor whose e-mail address is freely available

What is the pointr in having a discussion forum if you can’t discuss things.

How can the relevant parties sort it out when one of the parties is unwilling to respond to the people he claims to represent.

Who mentioned Truckersworld, I definately didn’t, I was responding to a thread about T&D in a way that complimented the former editor, it was you who brouight up Truckersworld, do you know something we don’t Ricki?

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
do you know something we don’t Ricki?

I read the same forums as you do, and know as well as you the letter you refer too as being sent. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As this is an issue for that website not this one I strongly suggest you take your points over there, or direct to the editor of T&D. Posting on here cannot resolve any issues you may have on this issue.

I can feel a touch of communism creeping in here,don’t do as I do,do as I say!

But,what exactly is the point of open forums when you are told not to discuss something?
Fear of upsetting those further up the ladder?
Fear of losing your position?

If people can’t ‘freely’ express their opinion on a subject within the forums then we may as well all pack up and go home!

Ta Ta!

KW:
I can feel a touch of communism creeping in here,don’t do as I do,do as I say!

But,what exactly is the point of open forums when you are told not to discuss something?
Fear of upsetting those further up the ladder?
Fear of losing your position?

If people can’t ‘freely’ express their opinion on a subject within the forums then we may as well all pack up and go home!

Ta Ta!

Yes we can’t upset the sponsors can we, I will obey I will be a good boy in future.

Or you can take your disagreement between two parties… and keep it between those parties and not try to involve other people. It is NOTHING to do with this website and many years of experience has shown that getting involved in other websites business only leads to a slagging match, something we will not allow.

You have an agenda which you wish to persue… good luck to you I hope you do well, but that is your agenda do not expect or demand that others have to follow it.

In short: Do what you want to do, via your succesful website, if you achieve something take the accolades. TruckNet UK is not set up to and has no desire to campaign.

If you want to do that then fine, but YOU do it do not expect us to do it on your behalf.

Bringing your troubles onto another website does you very little credit as an organisation and devalues your arguement

We have been here before with various organisations and without exception it has descended into a slanging match between websites and all involved have lost credibitly within the industry.

If that is what you are trying to acieve then carry on, if you want to make a difference then gain credibilty on your own and accept the fact that here we do not get involved or campaign, we leave that to others who are far better at it.