Waste of money

Drove on M11 & M25 c/w yesterday noonish. Matrix on both showed J28-J1a long delays, as I drove along towards J30 I was expecting to meet the end of the tailback. It didn’t happen because there wasn’t one, so why weren’t the signs updated as it reduced in length.

Surely the object of them is to give up to the minute information to drivers. I could have wasted time taking an alternative route for no reason and possibly got held up somewhere else.

I agree they need to be kept more upto date.

Or they should switch off after an hour if the control room operator hasnt prompted it to stay on.

The matrix signs seem particually bad on the M25. The variable speed limits around Heathrow make me laugh sometimes. The often show a 40, 50 or 60mph limit with the matrix displaying “queue caution” when the traffic is free flowing. I think they should change the matrix to display “creating queue caution” :smiley:

john_london:
The matrix signs seem particually bad on the M25. The variable speed limits around Heathrow make me laugh sometimes. The often show a 40, 50 or 60mph limit with the matrix displaying “queue caution” when the traffic is free flowing. I think they should change the matrix to display “creating queue caution” :smiley:

Theyre spending the next year or so extending the matrix signs from junction 10 to 9, narrow lanes, 50mph limit til dec 2011 :frowning:

they are spending thousands on the a14 with signs, and they will only tell us they is a que at j1 to the m1 even if your in felixstowe :unamused:
even the m6 toll sign is sometimes wrong saying its clear even when its not :unamused:

The problem is that if they are incorrect then eventually they are disregarded by drivers and the object of them is defeated and many millions of pounds wasted.

“The problem is that if they are incorrect then eventually they are disregarded by drivers and the object of them is defeated and many millions of pounds wasted.”

Agree but the bigger problem is there appears to be nobody with enough clout to kick ■■■ and make the operators pay attention instead of wasting time drinkin’ coffee and surfin’ Ebay!

waddy640:
The problem is that if they are incorrect then eventually they are disregarded by drivers and the object of them is defeated and many millions of pounds wasted.

I quite agree. It’s a “cry wolf” situation. One day there’ll be a real problem, and a subsequent pile-up because the warnings were ignored. As previously mentioned, the M25 seems to be bad for it, I’ve seen the matrix signs left on at 4am from problems which happened during the evening rush hour the night before!

Do us all a favour guys, call 0300 123 5000 it’s the HA information line, complain to them please.

It was annoying yesterday as I came off at j 28 and down the A 128 to avoid the phantom queue

As Biffo has stated, it’s all well and good having a bitchfest on here calling the system for all kinds, it’s you guys at the sharp end who can help by complaining about incorrect or dated matrix messages. That way they can be corrected or cancelled. :wink: Remember 0300 123 5000.

Also some of these signs are automatic.
The FOG ones are tripped by roadside sensors, spiders webs are the usual culprit.
The variable speed limit is computer control too.
sometimes I’ll call in a speed limit/ Debris in road while awaiting a rolling block to slow things down a little and yes, I’ve forgotten to ask for 'em to be lifted :blush:
but like above, call them in.

God knows what happened there then. The radio were reporting delays of 50 minutes to get from J28 to the bridge, it took me over 4 hours. I went through the booths at 11.30-ish

Highwayman and Biffo I’m not having a pop, I’m genuinely interested in your replies on this: but am I right in thinking it’s yourselves or the Police who instruct the HA control as to what signs and where to display? If this is the case, then who is responsibe for monitoring the signs? By that I mean who would make the decision that eg “debris in road” has been cleared and the signs could be turned off?

I think basically that the matrix sign system is great in principle but in practice it is fatally flawed simply by the fact that nobody believes them. This is a great shame because I reckon that the damage is already done in the motorists phsyche (sp) and no matter how much good work you guys do to change it, it just aint gonna happen.

If I request signs for debris, as soon as I have cleared it, I will ask for the signs for be cancelled. I will check on my next pass to make sure they have been cancelled. If the debris has been called in by a member of the public or the police. The signs cannot be cancelled until ourselves or a police patrol pass through the area to clear it or give a no trace. What sometimes happens, an ISU will clear the debris, but forget to cancel the signs, they’ll still be on till we roll up and cancel them. So what appears to be a phantom sign is still live on the system. These occurrences should decrease now that ISUs are moving to the same radio network as us, so they’ll be able to cancel signs with the control centre via radio and stop them being on for longer than necessary. Hope this helps. :wink:

Your reply certainly does help with the whys and wherefores Highwayman, but I’m sure you’ll agree to a certain extent that it’s the public perception that needs addressing. Although if you can solve that one you’re a better man than I Gunga Din. :smiley:

The real Biffo:
Do us all a favour guys, call 0300 123 5000 it’s the HA information line, complain to them please.

are you suggesting we call while we’re driving ? :wink:

well th signs up at edinburgh around the m9 / m8 area says there is snow drive with caution!!! so happy that money is spent on keeping the sign lit coz I wouldnt believe there was snow otherwise :stuck_out_tongue:

that one on the M6 for the toll road WILL never ever say anything but clear even if its nose to tail for the whole length of the reps road as the sign is i belive owned at operated by the m6toll

Denis F:

The real Biffo:

are you suggesting we call while we’re driving ? :wink:

Not at all, we’re not going to tell you to break the law, it’ll do on your next tacho break/toilet stop. :wink: