Was talking to a guy in a Tesco RDC

Well, as the story says i was delivering a load to a tesco rdc now ran by stobarts, (obviously). Anyway got chatting to him and he says he works for Hewdons maybe Howdens, they bought out mfi i believe when they went bust, he says he is self employed and earning £1000 a week, before tax and stuff obviusly… But he reckons that there full time drivers are on £36,000 a year for 48 hours with no ovrtime…

Now i aint the smartest of blokes but i find it very hard to beleive him, I find it hard to believe him in the current climate never mind in times gone by… Crikey im trying to live on 1 mayb 2 days a week… Ive read lots of posts on here along the same lines… Is he a waffler■■? Crikey when the going was good i coluld even earn half that…

And while im on the subject about Stobarts, it was the first time i delivered to a Tesco rdc, Three hours i waited and i couldnt even go back to my cab… Sat in a crapy waiting area with other drivers, all thinking the same thing im sure… What is going on like, i could of had a good kip in the bunk… oh and also visiting drivers are not allowed to use there canteen anymore as they now operate some kind of card system…

JUST WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Rant over

£36000 a year, thats £692.30 a week, thats £14.42 an hour. thats the best wage packet i’v ever heard but sounds like a fairy tale to me

Thats good if true, i’m on £10.73ph after sitting for a hour last night and working out from my payslips. Was even better yesterday, £127 for 8 hrs work :laughing:

Remember that they’ll be working any five from seven shifts for that salary. When you’re on four full weekends out of eight…

I’ll let you make your own minds up on that one. This is coming from an ex supermarket driver.

ive done it when the agency work was going well years ago, but like all else them days are long gone. i though howdens were run by dhl.

Did he also tell you that next year we all got to have supermegatoptrotters with enough room for Peter Crouch to stand on tiptoe & that Eddie Stobart was being sold to Willi Betz :unamused:

newmercman:
Did he also tell you that next year we all got to have supermegatoptrotters with enough room for Peter Crouch to stand on tiptoe & that Eddie Stobart was being sold to Willi Betz :unamused:

Willi Betz you have heard different to me then I have it on good authority that is was LKW Walter buying them out. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ben9:

newmercman:

Willi Betz you have heard different to me then I have it on good authority that is was LKW Walter buying them out. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Are you sure, I thought that was Norbert Dentressangle? :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:

Ben9:

newmercman:

i heard on the grapevine that it could be dhl :laughing:

scotstrucker:

newmercman:

Ben9:

newmercman:

you’re all wrong, it’s me :wink:

shuttlespanker:

scotstrucker:

newmercman:

Ben9:

newmercman:

big blue going to be big green and red now then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

no Sam, it is the other way round :unamused: :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

shuttlespanker:

scotstrucker:

newmercman:

Ben9:

newmercman:

Have you told your TM and financial controllers■■? :laughing: and :confused:

not yet, but it will be a nice surprise for them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

wizardofoz:
But he reckons that there full time drivers are on £36,000 a year for 48 hours with no ovrtime…

Not unrealistic considering that the rate of pay includes most probably working quite a lot of weekends, no premium payment for Bank Holidays and doing night work.

wizardofoz:
Well, as the story says i was delivering a load to a tesco rdc now ran by stobarts, (obviously). Anyway got chatting to him and he says he works for Hewdons maybe Howdens, they bought out mfi i believe when they went bust, he says he is self employed and earning £1000 a week, before tax and stuff obviusly… But he reckons that there full time drivers are on £36,000 a year for 48 hours with no ovrtime…

Now i aint the smartest of blokes but i find it very hard to beleive him, I find it hard to believe him in the current climate never mind in times gone by… Crikey im trying to live on 1 mayb 2 days a week… Ive read lots of posts on here along the same lines… Is he a waffler■■? Crikey when the going was good i coluld even earn half that…
JUST WHAT IS GOING ON!!!

Rant over

Howdens Joinery is formerly Hygena Kitchens. I’ve driven for them through agency on and off for 15 years, once having a 2 year long stint, with several former agency driver mates having being taken on by them and been there over a decade and a half now.

No he isn’t working for Howdens Joinery self employed because that’s not how they work - they use a couple of specific agencies and specific drivers from those agencies.

Howdens Joinery drivers are on £36k for a 48hr working week though although that’s 48 BOOKED hours. Each run has a set amount of hours allocated to it with plenty of leeway so its usually quite easy to come in 30 minutes under without remotely doing anything like teararsing around. They’ve always been on a damned good wage there.

To add…

Howdens Joinery drivers are on £36k for a 48hr working week though although that’s 48 BOOKED hours. Each run has a set amount of hours allocated to it with plenty of leeway so its usually quite easy to come in 30 minutes under without remotely doing anything like teararsing around. Their own drivers do very little weekend work, its usually agency. Job is an absolute breeze apart from when you’ve got two chipboard runs to Runcorn but thats more because you have to strap it down whereas all the other loads are usually done for you with just a check over required.

All I’ll say is some agencies around here are paying £20ph for some contracts, for certain hours…I.E. if you worked Sunday at 0000 until 0800 you’d get 8 hours at £20ph, which for those who can do a bit of maths, is £160. And thats 1 day, doing a short shift…if you do 12 hour shift, working similar hours throughout the rest of the week, then its very possible. But in those companies…you’ve gotta cover your ■■■ better than at Gay Pride.

Conor:
To add…

Howdens Joinery drivers are on £36k for a 48hr working week though although that’s 48 BOOKED hours. Each run has a set amount of hours allocated to it with plenty of leeway so its usually quite easy to come in 30 minutes under without remotely doing anything like teararsing around. Their own drivers do very little weekend work, its usually agency. Job is an absolute breeze apart from when you’ve got two chipboard runs to Runcorn but thats more because you have to strap it down whereas all the other loads are usually done for you with just a check over required.

i would suspect to get in to drive at that place you would have too know a driver there as drivers wouldnt leave and jobs would never be advertised for that sort of wages

I was told the Howdens trucks are DHL. They load out of Bicester a lot and the guy in there told me.