was i wrong

I was asked to do a induction.was told its about 5 hours long but could be longer unpaid and maybe a shift afterwards.i said no thanks as 5 hours is ott in my book,a hour yes but no more

I would of said that those 5 hrs or how ever long it was going to take would be deducted from my driving time ect, so if it took 5 hrs i would have only 10 or 8hrs duty in which to drive whatever driving time i had leftover after, and be paid a full shift, as there’s no way that i would be doing 5 hrs+ a full shift , unless they where going to pay accordingly

Nope id only be paid the hours after the induction was done.so 5 hour induction,leaves me 10 hours lets say 45 min break.so for a 15 hour day im paid 9 hours.i just cant bring myself to do it

nearly there:
Nope id only be paid the hours after the induction was done.so 5 hour induction,leaves me 10 hours lets say 45 min break.so for a 15 hour day im paid 9 hours.i just cant bring myself to do it

Well then don’t. They’re taking the ■■■■ out of you.

I cant believe this is the norm for agenceys

nearly there:

If more people take the stance that you have then agencies would stop asking. Good on ya, why the hell should you work for nothing, induction or no induction.

I did an unpaid assessment once, it consisted of the usual licence checks, a 30-45 min drive, some tachograph/WTD questions and a thank you see you tomorrow. All in all took about an hour and a half (over 2 hours if you consider the drive there and back). I thought that was taking the Michael but it got me a full time job in the end so looking at the bigger picture, it was worth it.

5 hours is scandalous, I’d say to the agency I want paying.

I bet the thieving ■■■■■ are getting their cut while you are doing your induction :imp: :unamused: I’ve got no time for agency’s these days for these sort of reasons.

I spent about 6 hours at a recruitment open day at walkers crisps but that was by choice and it was organised by the company not an agency - all unpaid

For a normal interview I would expect it to be about an hour or slightly more if a short drive was involved

Assessments used to be paid but the agencies realized over time that they could get drivers to do them free of charge. They used to send a different driver every day into a local company and then the company never saw that driver again. The said company soon realized that the agency were taking the proverbial and just sending drivers in for assessments so that they could charge for them hence they said they would no longer pay for assessments.

The thing is, it is your time and you are doing it to make them money so why do it free of charge? if you do then you are a large piece of turd. I know there are those who try to justify working for nothing but they are the ones who get paid NMW and still think they are onto a good screw. The only way to improve your lot is by standing up for yourself.

When I was out of work the job centre sent me to an open day for Aspray haulage in Willenhall the crack was aspray wanted me to work for 6 weeks for nothing :open_mouth: all I would get is £142.70 a fortnight and I “might” get an interview at the end.
Needed a forkie licence as was expected to load the trailer aswell err got told to jog on

Was the chap/lady delivering the induction and/or assessment getting paid? Or were they gonna be working for nowt also■■? I doubt it!!! Scandalous - really - where will it all end??

Well done for turning this sort of thing down and refusing!!!

Daz1970:

+1

The problem is; for every bloke that turns it down, there’s thirty others waiting to lap it up.

nearly there:

NO you are 100% right !

And no this is not the norm for agencies ive worked for a agency for the last 2 years and every induction ive ever done has been full pay the longest being biffa @ 5 hours and got paid for the full 8 at £9.50 p/h class 2 rates if I get out of bed to go to work evan for a hour I get payed for the 8 hours

agencies can be very good if you work for the right ones !

Contraflow:

Daz1970:

+1

The problem is; for every bloke that turns it down, there’s thirty others waiting to lap it up.

If one pays peanuts, one will get monkeys.

Its good to know im not the only one who thought it was a rip off.ill be honest i thought the agencey bod was having a joke at first but im sure someone else jumped at the chance to take my place

i think I would do it , if it meant long term work,
it’s easy to claw 5 hours back :smiley:

5 hours unpaid is a joke. You should at the very least get some kind of reimbursement for your time.

in my humble opinion a five hour plus induction would legally have to count towards your working time if you were to start a shift without having a daily rest period between the two. I’m pretty sure the police and/or vosa or whatever they are called these days would take a pretty grim view if you were involved in an accident and they found out that you had attended an induction before the start of a shift and not made a manual entry on your tacho. So no you weren’t wrong.

There are plenty places that do long inductions these days, and not just agency work. Its their way of covering their backsides should anything go wrong. If you don’t think it’s worth it then don’t do it, as said earlier, someone will be along later to work while you sit at home.