Was I in the wrong?

So I was rolling along the A27 near Chichester and got to the 1st of the many roundabouts, went round it and started to accelerate. I’m in a merc with ■■■■ acceleration so the wagon behind me tried to overtake whilst I am trying to pick up speed. He gets his cab to halfway past my rear axle when he hits his limiter and I’m still accelerating. Clearly my top end is faster than his so I keep accelerating till I pull clear of him. After I’m clear he pulls back in really close and flashes his lights in anger.

Should I have eased off and let him past just because he had more horsepower and better acceleration knowing I would only have to overtake him again once I got back up to speed? He didn’t have to slow down, just had to change lanes.

Don’t like ■■■■■■■ off other professional road users, but this was in the early hours with no other traffic on the road. If I was joining a motorway from a slip and someone had pulled over to let me in then I would always hold back to let them pass as they are doing me a favour, but this one was trying to overtake because he was impatient with my acceleration even though he had previously seen my top end was faster than his.

Imo, if he was trying to overtake you on a single carriageway then he should have been 100% sure he was able to do so without causing any problems for anyone else on the road.

You did the right thing, why should you slow down in a vehicle that has comparatively poor acceleration because another driver is too impatient to wait a few seconds.

Anyway as you say all he had to do was pull back into the nearside lane so why he was getting wound-up is his problem not yours.

Squiddy:
So I was rolling along the A27 near Chichester and got to the 1st of the many roundabouts, went round it and started to accelerate. I’m in a merc with [zb] acceleration so the wagon behind me tried to overtake whilst I am trying to pick up speed. He gets his cab to halfway past my rear axle when he hits his limiter and I’m still accelerating. Clearly my top end is faster than his so I keep accelerating till I pull clear of him. After I’m clear he pulls back in really close and flashes his lights in anger.

Should I have eased off and let him past just because he had more horsepower and better acceleration knowing I would only have to overtake him again once I got back up to speed? He didn’t have to slow down, just had to change lanes.

Don’t like ■■■■■■■ off other professional road users, but this was in the early hours with no other traffic on the road. If I was joining a motorway from a slip and someone had pulled over to let me in then I would always hold back to let them pass as they are doing me a favour, but this one was trying to overtake because he was impatient with my acceleration even though he had previously seen my top end was faster than his.

As there are not many roundabouts on Motorways it is not likely that he hit the Speed Limiter and you still accelerated as Dual carriage ways are 50 and singles are 40mph
Think you did the R/B too slow that he got Fed-Up

I think you were correct. There is little or no forward planning amongst truck drivers these days. It would hardly hurt for him to wait a few seconds to see how fast you were. Another pet hate that shows a serious lack of planning is when I overtake a slow truck on the flat who then catches me at the very top of a hill but still insists on pulling out to overtake despite being obvious to everybody but him he won’t make it. It’s like the cruise control off button is electrified. Arghhhhh

And breath.

And I thought it was cause “I is Stobarts innit” that is so ■■■■■■ annoying Luke!
It’s like the M6 north of Stoke! Tailgating and being blocked in as lanes 1 and 2 are all on the limit!

Immigrant:
As there are not many roundabouts on Motorways it is not likely that he hit the Speed Limiter and you still accelerated as Dual carriage ways are 50 and singles are 40mph

Thanks, Immigrant. I shall remember that.

you did nothing wrong mate, if you out accelerated its not your problem its his for not knowing his own pulling capabilities, iv’e done it loads of times thinking i was going to get the hopp on another and been beaten too it, such is life! i always smile to myself thinking what a pratt i had been. the only thing that does sometimes get my goat when i have been stuck behind a shopping trolley driver how insists on doing 32 mph on the single carridgeway and then on their limiter on the duel, but thats another story :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If he had got his cab infront then yes but he didn’t so no you went in the wrong.

Unless his limiter was set at 48 and yours set at 50, then yes, you were in the wrong

As Immigrant stated, the speed limit on a dual carriageway is 50, not 56

Admittedly, the other driver was also being a bit of a ■■■■■■■■ too

its years since i read the highway code but seem to think it states that if being overtaken you should not accelerate but it is a code and not law and all circumstances are different

Who cares what the speed limit was, he was being an idiot and you did the right thing if you knew you were going to be faster when you both got going. How many lorry drivers stick to 50mph on a duel anyway? I get overtaken all the time and I’m limited to 50ish.

wildfire:
you did nothing wrong mate, if you out accelerated its not your problem its his for not knowing his own pulling capabilities, iv’e done it loads of times thinking i was going to get the hopp on another and been beaten too it, such is life! i always smile to myself thinking what a pratt i had been. the only thing that does sometimes get my goat when i have been stuck behind a shopping trolley driver how insists on doing 32 mph on the single carridgeway and then on their limiter on the duel, but thats another story :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 :smiling_imp:

Milk Man:
Who cares what the speed limit was, he was being an idiot and you did the right thing if you knew you were going to be faster when you both got going. How many lorry drivers stick to 50mph on a duel anyway? I get overtaken all the time and I’m limited to 50ish.

and your point is?

at the end of the day, the OP asked if he was in the wrong, the truthful answer to the OP’s question is yes, there is no legal defence of his actions, he was in the wrong, unless as i posted earlier, his limiter was set at 50 and the other truck was set at a slightly lower speed

it is of course, the OP’s choice to willingly break the law, in just the same way as it was the choice of the other driver

and to answer your question, i do 50 on a dual carriageway, as i only do 52 on the motorways, this is a voluntary speed limit as the truck will do approx 57 if pushed flat out

Squiddy:

Immigrant:

Thanks, Immigrant. I shall remember that.

I hope so,but thats not enough.isn’t it?
as good Christian you would have to confess next time you are in a church for what you done

If you maintained the speed you maxed out at, ie didnt slow back down then you did nothing wrong.

ajt:
If you maintained the speed you maxed out at, ie didnt slow back down then you did nothing wrong.

apart from break the law by speeding :wink:

No you did nothing wrong, it is the job of the person trying to overtake you to determine whether or not they can complete the manouvere in a safe manner, they clearly did not wait to see if they had enough speed to complete the manouvere, ergo they are wrong :bulb:

Does the highway code not state that your should not speed up when someone is over taking you?

I’m not saying your wrong here, tbh i would have done the same. At the end of it you would have had to overtake him again anyway, regardless of speeding.

yes, you didnt take up both lanes to prevent him from overtaking