Was I in the wrong?

shuttlespanker:

Milk Man:
Who cares what the speed limit was, he was being an idiot and you did the right thing if you knew you were going to be faster when you both got going. How many lorry drivers stick to 50mph on a duel anyway? I get overtaken all the time and I’m limited to 50ish.

and your point is?

at the end of the day, the OP asked if he was in the wrong, the truthful answer to the OP’s question is yes, there is no legal defence of his actions, he was in the wrong, unless as i posted earlier, his limiter was set at 50 and the other truck was set at a slightly lower speed

it is of course, the OP’s choice to willingly break the law, in just the same way as it was the choice of the other driver

and to answer your question, i do 50 on a dual carriageway, as i only do 52 on the motorways, this is a voluntary speed limit as the truck will do approx 57 if pushed flat out

My point is that these two lorries will probably be flat out again after the roundabout as the majority of lorries do more than 50 on a duel so his actions were correct as he was the faster lorry. I agree with you that in the eyes of the law he is in the wrong for not sticking to the 50mph speed limit but thats not what he was asking.

Milk Man:

shuttlespanker:

Milk Man:
Who cares what the speed limit was, he was being an idiot and you did the right thing if you knew you were going to be faster when you both got going. How many lorry drivers stick to 50mph on a duel anyway? I get overtaken all the time and I’m limited to 50ish.

and your point is?

at the end of the day, the OP asked if he was in the wrong, the truthful answer to the OP’s question is yes, there is no legal defence of his actions, he was in the wrong, unless as i posted earlier, his limiter was set at 50 and the other truck was set at a slightly lower speed

it is of course, the OP’s choice to willingly break the law, in just the same way as it was the choice of the other driver

and to answer your question, i do 50 on a dual carriageway, as i only do 52 on the motorways, this is a voluntary speed limit as the truck will do approx 57 if pushed flat out

My point is that these two lorries will probably be flat out again after the roundabout as the majority of lorries do more than 50 on a duel so his actions were correct as he was the faster lorry. I agree with you that in the eyes of the law he is in the wrong for not sticking to the 50mph speed limit but thats not what he was asking.

You drive a milk float, so how can you have an opinion on overtaking anyway? :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

Milk Man:

and your point is?

poppycock

newmercman:
You drive a milk float, so how can you have an opinion on overtaking anyway? :laughing: :laughing:

Ha fair comment, although my milk float will just about overtake a supermarket wagon… only if they’re draggin their feet though. :smiley:

commonrail:

shuttlespanker:

Milk Man:

and your point is?

poppycock

care to elaborate?

or are you just going to spout total ■■■■■■■■? :unamused:

the driver of the overtaking truck is a ■■■■■.he`s gone for an overtake without it ever entering his tiny brain that the truck in front may actually have a higher top speed.
so there he sits in lane 2,slowly going backwards untill eventually it dawns upon him :bulb: and he moves back in behind with a disgruntled flash of the head lights…like all and sundry should adapt their driving to suit his obvious lack of skill/forward vision/temprerment.

experienced drivers…iv`e ■■■■ em :slight_smile:

Spacemonkeypg:
Does the highway code not state that your should not speed up when someone is over taking you?

It would appear so

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Clicky

But that’s hardly relevant to someone who’s just pulling away from a roundabout is it :confused:

[quote="Squiddy He gets his cab to halfway past my rear axle when he hits his limiter and I’m still accelerating. Clearly my top end is faster than his so I keep accelerating till I pull clear of him. [/quote]
So if all speed limiters should be set to 56 are you saying yours does not work then or did you hit yours a half a mile an hour faster than him and spend the next 14 hours both blocking the carridgeway ■■?

If the driver knew your top speed was greater than his then its his own fault for being an impatient idiot, doesnt matter if your acceleration is slightly slower than his a driver with any sense would’ve just held back til you started to pull away.

I’m sure if he was attempting an overtake, he must be quicker to catch you in the 1st place?

Did you stay in front for the remainder of the journey?

I’m with Spanker though, rarely in a rush (end of working hours, getting close to 15 or whatever then I’ll be flat out), and don’t sit on the limiter on cruise, that’s why it’s adjustable, and gives me a little breathing room to overtake.

As there are 5 or six r/bouts on the Chichester by-pass and this happened at the 1st one ,what happened at the next few ? because some are not that far apart,just wondered :exclamation:

Big Jules:
So if all speed limiters should be set to 56 are you saying yours does not work then or did you hit yours a half a mile an hour faster than him and spend the next 14 hours both blocking the carridgeway ■■?

Once I started going faster than him it was only a few seconds before I pulled ahead.

First of all I admit it, we were both speeding. But it was night time on a clear road and speed limits aren’t enforceable for HGV’s between midnight and 4AM

Second, and I don’t want to sound like I’m willy waving, but I have fast lorry that’s never been overtaken by another restricted lorry on a level, so once I’m up to speed then I pass other lorries quite quickly. Speedo says 59mph, satnav says 60mph, digital cruise control readout says 93kmh. Boss has assured me this is legal :wink:

waynedl:
I’m sure if he was attempting an overtake, he must be quicker to catch you in the 1st place?

Did you stay in front for the remainder of the journey?

I’m with Spanker though, rarely in a rush (end of working hours, getting close to 15 or whatever then I’ll be flat out), and don’t sit on the limiter on cruise, that’s why it’s adjustable, and gives me a little breathing room to overtake.

calebs gramps:
As there are 5 or six r/bouts on the Chichester by-pass and this happened at the 1st one ,what happened at the next few ? because some are not that far apart,just wondered :!:

He overtook me after a few roundabouts, then I overtook him shortly after the last roundabout. I don’t remember passing him earlier so I assume he had joined the A27 shortly before Chichester.

I think you were ok doing what you did to be honest,think he couldve realised the situation and just let you go .Some people though have to get past at all costs even when they know ■■■■ well when you clear the last r/bout you will be gone.
Still we all meet them every day dont we.

Yeah I could sort of understand his frustration. Bit like when you try to overtake a car and it speeds up when you are nearly past. But this was pulling away from a round about, not like I was doing a constant 54 then sped up to 57 when he was nearly past just to annoy him. Ah well, it was a minor thing really. No one died.

The fact you have even asked the question suggests you know you were in the wrong.

And to all those that defend the OP, I’d love to see you successfully defend him in a court with the same arguments… ‘my truck is really fast your honour, no-one can go as quick as me…’ and the man overtaking me was a nob your honour’ :laughing:

If someone is overtaking you then you should not accelerate to prevent it…you should have allowed him to pass then, overtaken him when safe to do so if your vehicle was quicker.

As you were both speeding anyway you were both breaking the law. You were the one waving your willy though…‘my truck is faster than anyone else’s…’

In a court, you would both have been done for speeding from the sound of it… :unamused:

The ‘do not accelerate when someone tries to overtake you’ guideline is directed more to motorists already up to speed. I was pulling away from a roundabout. Why should I have to slow down just cos someone else is impatient? He didn’t have to slow down, he merely had to pull back in to lane one. If we all slowed down when someone tried to overtake at a roundabout Milton Keynes would grind to a halt.

And I’m not waving my nob. My lorry is faster than all others your honour. Just stating a fact.