Was I in the right?

Got asked by agency to go to a certain general haulage firm. , got to the yard givin my keys to a unit, more like a shed on wheels, stunk of smoke, bits hanging off, more duct tape then plastic and a few more things I wernt happy with There was a stork that was also snapped off so was unusable .after doing checks for 15 mins and getting mithered to get a move on I decided that I wouldn’t be taking the vehicle out and handed the keys in, the fella said what do I expect a brand new truck, which I replied no but a roadworthy one at the least! Would you say I was right in not taking the vehicle out? It’s my licence and livelihood at the end of the day!

20 years ago you could have, but this day and age it’s just not worth it, trouble is some operators date back to the 60s and still think the world hasn’t changed.
Good on ya mate

no doubt all the ‘heroes’ will be telling you yer wrong …but Yeah you were right ,if it dont work properly dont use it ,cos VOSA will [zb] you over for it,due to the rules and they are self -financing,so any fines come from you…oh and before the heros slag me off…I am a man that has driven some [zb] in my time …but no more

zeddman:
no doubt all the ‘heroes’ will be telling you yer wrong …but Yeah you were right ,if it dont work properly dont use it ,cos VOSA will [zb] you over for it,due to the rules and they are self -financing,so any fines come from you…oh and before the heros slag me off…I am a man that has driven some [zb] in my time …but no more

Correct answer! :sunglasses: YELLOW TRUCKS, RED WRITING■■? :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Haha that’s the ones, I wernt hopeful of this company anyway after hearing about them, but thought I’d go down to see it for myself , 5am wake up and 70 mile round trip later, I now know not to go back!! Only had my licence since last August so I’m over pre cautious on everything, the fact he tried rushing my checks was enough for me to wanna leave, the cab reeked of smoke (I’m a none smoker ) so I wernt to impress with that, the unit was that bad it even had duct tape holding the gear stick together, even the drivers said they wouldst take it out themselves

Quite right! But I know that it takes a bit of courage to refuse. Important to stay polite and helpful. And avoid sounding pompous. We all try to be helpful and flexible but as you say, “it’s your licence”. I recall getting more and more unhappy as i walked round the vehicle which I was allocated at Deeside and the manager’s apoplexy when I had to decline. He said it must be roadworthy as it had a valid MOT. My feelings of guilt were lifted when i found out that it was the wagons’s last job and it was due to be scrapped the following day.

I wouldn’t have taken it out, broken indicator stalk… How?? Just how!!!
You can normally get a rough idea of how the company operates just by looking at that truck.

Agency have just rang me asking what happened told them, they said unfortunately I won’t be able to go back to that company, that’s fortunate in my eyes!! Never again

Wouldn’t have taken it myself , it’s wrong that the agency should tell you they won’t be offering you work there again …

The next call they made was to anther driver who more than Likely turned up and drove the crapper this man had just gone above you on the agency pecking order, very unfair but business …

Good job I don’t rely on agency then ha

SYE-1:
Wouldn’t have taken it myself , it’s wrong that the agency should tell you they won’t be offering you work there again …

The next call they made was to anther driver who more than Likely turned up and drove the crapper this man had just gone above you on the agency pecking order, very unfair but business …

but said screwdriver :open_mouth: will get fined ( eventually ) by VOSA when caught :unamused: then the penny will drop! :laughing: business? I don’t think so! :imp: stupidity! :smiley: the extra pound an hour wont cover the fines! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Knackered indicator stalk?

Close door and walk away! Never mind the rest of it - seen this too often, giving the agency guy a complete shed that is not street legal.

You did the right thing and may I suggest that you walk away from that agency also - they are as bad as the haulage co - they should have backed you up on this. :imp:

I would have walked as well, I have done plenty of times.

No doubt some other mug will risk their livelihood and take the truck out, probably one of the legend truckers on this site who brag about being to be able to rope and sheet and driving for hours and hours in the good old days. who think a driver has no rights to put up with poor work conditions and should just get on with it. :grimacing:

I felt bad for letting the agency down but then on the other hand I’m not takin risks

Would I say you were justified in your actions? Yes I would. If it looks like a shed on wheels, then you can guarantee that VOSA would take the same opinion also when they pull you.

Just because it may have a valid MOT, doesn’t mean to say that at that moment it’s fit for the road. Remember that an MOT only means it’s fit at the time of testing, so if you feel it isn’t right, then go with your instinct.

Fortunately our agency don’t deal with such rubbish.

Ken.

1st, my mate works for THEM, and he’s been there years, so I don’t think it’s standard practice to give ■■■■ vehicles, he wouldn’t put up with that, trust me.

2nd, you were 100% right, if the vehicles a shed, and the basic point of no indicator stalk would be enough for me to walk away too, HOWEVER, I’d have put a defect note in and took pictures.

Vehicle would then be defected until repaired / signed off as repaired, and the pictures would back you up with the agency, then demand 8hrs pay off the agency as you were there on time and prepared to do your job, but there was no vehicle for you.

SYE-1:

Indeed, however, before I left site I would have informed the agency I was departing site and the reasoning behind it, and if they kicked up a stink over it I’d pretty much have a go at them too for insisting I break the law at the behest of corruption and saving face.

If the indicators/lights/brakes/doors/wipers don’t work and the company doesn’t want to fix them then I’ll not be going out with them and the agency will know about my displeasure of them sending me to such a place.

As for the description of the company, I know at least 4 companies that describes, with two of them being large national companies… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tell the agency that YOU won’t be using them again. That’s wrong that they expect you to drive dodgy gear. :confused:

I did inform the agency before I left the site and they just said thanks for letting them no, as regards to pictures etc, I weren’t gonna make a song and dance about the situation, the vehicle wasn’t fit for the road in my eyes The state of the cab and the smell of it was enough on its own, why should I have to work in a ■■■■ environment that I’m gonna be stuck in for 8, 10, maybe 15 hours for? I always leave cabs the way I’d wanna receive them, some people just have no respect for stuff! As for pay I couldn’t really care if I get paid or not, I’ve lost out on a tenners juice and kept my licence in good order, that’s enough for me!

You should charge them the 8 hrs. It’s not your fault the equipment was not up to scratch. You did your bit for which they MUST pay you. You can bet your left nut the agency charged their client.