WARNING re: A1 speed camera at Hebron

Those of you who regularly run the northern bit of the A1 will know that the fixed camera on the single carriageway section north of Morpeth - at Hebron, specifically - has been variously completely inoperative/unable to clock wagons over 40/below 60 for a good long while, and that there’s always been an unwritten “gentlemans’ agreement” with Northumbria Police that 50mph is acceptable and not worth a tug…

NOT ANY MORE . Got my copy of the NIP for 48mph on 22/08/11 (the company sends us one) in Saturday’s post. :cry:

Just so’s you know, like. :wink:

NB. This is not a “moaning about a speeding ticket” post. I did the crime, I’ll take the fine, we all know the risks, blah blah blah. I just thought I’d be nice and give people the heads up. Thankyou.

:frowning:

I got caught on the southbound one at Penmanshiel many years ago. Same speed as you too. :cry:

I take it this is the one at the end of the Morpeth bypass just after the A697 that was daubed in white paint for ages Lucy?

Ken.

Lucy:
NB. This is not a “moaning about a speeding ticket” post. I did the crime, I’ll take the fine, we all know the risks, blah blah blah. I just thought I’d be nice and give people the heads up. Thankyou.

“Call yourself a professional.”

“No wonder the public hate us.”

“What if someone was killed, how would you feel then.”

“Was it done SAFELY.”

“This forum has gone to hell.”

“I won’t post any more/This is why I don’t often post.”

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: Might save some people some typing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, i see, if nobodys looking and the camers broken, it ok to drive at any speed you want, break any law you want and hope you dont get caught, no booody wonder this countrys going to th dogs with pepole like you on the roads, your just a big crimnal and you should be locked up… today.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
only kidding :smiley:

I thought this was another Middle East thread :laughing:

The admin of a professional drivers forum setting a good example :laughing:

Can you not do that special course then

Don’t know yet, Ang, only got as far as the company sending me a copy of the NIP, not heard directly myself. I’ve a clean licence at the moment, so possibly, but equally 3 points isn’t the end of the world so unless the course runs on a weekend the loss of earnings from doing it would be too much to make it worthwhile anyway, especially with the increased fine that comes from taking the course. We’ll see.

As for the rest of you, I was thinking of the children. It was first thing Monday morning and I’d just said goodbye to them. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it, m’Lud. :stuck_out_tongue: :grimacing: :smiling_imp:

Ps. Got it in one, Quinny. The bugger appears to have been fixed, and properly this time. Particularly irritating is the fact that it’s not as if I didn’t know it was there, we run that road umpteen times a year. Moral of the story? Don’t get lulled into a false sense of security just because it didn’t flash last week. :blush: :frowning:

Yep you can do them on a weekend as a mate of mine done his on a Sunday as was best day for him

The transport manager at my previous job a few years ago got caught out by that particular camera, also doing 48mph, it took a while to sort out as they were running an old double deck transporter trailer only, at the time , when they needed to do occasional deliveries they hired a unit from hill hire, an old axor i seem to remember, the n.i.p arrived at the hill hire office and was sent on to the company. The boss (transport manager) and another driver were double manning that day, so the boss sent the details off of both drivers letting the powers that be decide who to prosecute, in the meantime the tacho’s got “ahem” mislaid :unamused: .This was an attempt to waste as much time as possible in the vain hope that it would cost so much public admin money, that it was not worth there trouble to persue for a £60 fine and as that camera is not forward facing,nothing more was heard of again so presumably dropped.

Lucy:
that there’s always been an unwritten “gentlemans’ agreement” with Northumbria Police that 50mph is acceptable and not worth a tug…
[/b]

Your confusing the proper coppers with the speed scamera partnership taliban scum who operate the cameras, their jobs depend on catching everyone breaking the law, so a truck exceeding 40mph on a single carriageway is fair game in their eyes, keeerching.
48 mph should get you the chance for a speed awareness course though, if you get the chance take it.
If an outside training company do the course, you may be able to take it more locally nearer to home rather than have to travel back to the area of the heinous crime, and shame on you infidel :grimacing:

Big Joe:

Lucy:
that there’s always been an unwritten “gentlemans’ agreement” with Northumbria Police that 50mph is acceptable and not worth a tug…
[/b]

Your confusing the proper coppers with the speed scamera partnership taliban scum who operate the cameras, their jobs depend on catching everyone breaking the law, so a truck exceeding 40mph on a single carriageway is fair game in their eyes, keeerching.
48 mph should get you the chance for a speed awareness course though, if you get the chance take it.
If an outside training company do the course, you may be able to take it more locally nearer to home rather than have to travel back to the area of the heinous crime, and shame on you infidel :grimacing:

Not all counties do them, Joe. When I got caught in the same area and asked about it I was told that they didn’t do them (Borders & Lothian).

Personally I’d take the points. 3 points doesn’t mean Jack these days and it’s highly unlikely that your own car insurance would be affected. They want people to take the speed awareness courses because it’s more £££££ in their pockets. Don’t be a sucker.

Rob K:
Personally I’d take the points. 3 points doesn’t mean Jack these days and it’s highly unlikely that your own car insurance would be affected. They want people to take the speed awareness courses because it’s more £££££ in their pockets. .

Suppose it depends on the cost and circumstances Rob, but get another 3 points and your driving round like a vicar for several years. South Wales gave me the chance to repent my sins for £80 which I thought was fair versus £60+3 points, and I was able to take it at a location in Shropshire just down the road from a regular customer so a no brainer in my eyes.

Big Joe:

Rob K:
Personally I’d take the points. 3 points doesn’t mean Jack these days and it’s highly unlikely that your own car insurance would be affected. They want people to take the speed awareness courses because it’s more £££££ in their pockets. .

Suppose it depends on the cost and circumstances Rob, but get another 3 points and your driving round like a vicar for several years. South Wales gave me the chance to repent my sins for £80 which I thought was fair versus £60+3 points, and I was able to take it at a location in Shropshire just down the road from a regular customer so a no brainer in my eyes.

Yep! 3pts now coud add up to a bann within the next 4 years. I was done at penmansheil aswel, my last ticket I was daft enough to take. The bin is the best place for a speed ticket and no they cant do nothing. Maybe resend times 3 then try a crafty with a registered letter, but who woud be daft enough to sigh?

I wouldn’t do the speed course either, unless I was on my final points at risk of being banned, you can only do one every three years, it costs as much or more than the FPN and 3 points on a licence means Jack as Rob said.

Unless you can get a weekend course, you are going to lose half a days pay as well

Wheel Nut:
I wouldn’t do the speed course either, unless I was on my final points at risk of being banned,

But what if those final points were being levied for something not available for a speed awareness course, say a dodgy tyre you’d missed or the vehicle you were driving hadn’t been insured by the owner, you’d be wishing you’d used your get out of jail card earlier :neutral_face:

Big Joe:

Wheel Nut:
I wouldn’t do the speed course either, unless I was on my final points at risk of being banned,

But what if those final points were being levied for something not available for a speed awareness course, say a dodgy tyre you’d missed or the vehicle you were driving hadn’t been insured by the owner, you’d be wishing you’d used your get out of jail card earlier :neutral_face:

I see your point(s) :laughing:

I didn’t think of it like that.

Wheel Nut walks off nonchalantly with his clean licence :wink:

Big Joe:

Wheel Nut:

+1 ^ Even if it was just getting another 3. 3 points on your license makes you look unlucky, 6 points looks like (to future employers or insurance companies for example) a trend. I’d say do the course.

Lucy:
Don’t know yet, Ang, only got as far as the company sending me a copy of the NIP, not heard directly myself. I’ve a clean licence at the moment, so possibly, but equally 3 points isn’t the end of the world so unless the course runs on a weekend the loss of earnings from doing it would be too much to make it worthwhile anyway, especially with the increased fine that comes from taking the course. We’ll see.

:frowning:

I don’t understand the bit i’ve highlighted.

When I did a speed awareness course I paid the £60, attended the “course” drank the tea, ate the biscuits and that was it. What do you mean about increased fine that comes from taking the course?

I decided it was worth doing it rather than getting any points on the licence, Avon & Somerset included details of the course on the NIP. I was lucky as I had been clocked at 39 in a 30 which was too high to take the course according to their information but I just sent my cheque in and no more was said.

If anyone does attend one of these courses, its best to keep you views to yourself as if they decide you’re a trouble maker they can kick you out and you dont get a refund but do end up back in the NIP process :stuck_out_tongue: