WARNING re: A1 speed camera at Hebron

somerset bus driver:

Lucy:
Don’t know yet, Ang, only got as far as the company sending me a copy of the NIP, not heard directly myself. I’ve a clean licence at the moment, so possibly, but equally 3 points isn’t the end of the world so unless the course runs on a weekend the loss of earnings from doing it would be too much to make it worthwhile anyway, especially with the increased fine that comes from taking the course. We’ll see.

:frowning:

I don’t understand the bit i’ve highlighted.

When I did a speed awareness course I paid the £60, attended the “course” drank the tea, ate the biscuits and that was it. What do you mean about increased fine that comes from taking the course?

I decided it was worth doing it rather than getting any points on the licence, Avon & Somerset included details of the course on the NIP. I was lucky as I had been clocked at 39 in a 30 which was too high to take the course according to their information but I just sent my cheque in and no more was said.

If anyone does attend one of these courses, its best to keep you views to yourself as if they decide you’re a trouble maker they can kick you out and you dont get a refund but do end up back in the NIP process :stuck_out_tongue:

The courses I’ve seen myself and heard about from others have always been more expensive than the FPN fine. That’s not to say that there aren’t ones which are the same price as the FPN or even less, though.

Big Joe:

Wheel Nut:
I wouldn’t do the speed course either, unless I was on my final points at risk of being banned,

But what if those final points were being levied for something not available for a speed awareness course, say a dodgy tyre you’d missed or the vehicle you were driving hadn’t been insured by the owner, you’d be wishing you’d used your get out of jail card earlier :neutral_face:

Not necessarily. In many cases 12 points doesn’t result in a ban these days, especially if you drive for a living. You still get the points but the ban is waivered due to ‘exceptional hardship’. I speak from personal experience here.

Having said that, having more than 6 points on your licence is not a good place to be if you’re looking for work as a PAYE driver.

Rob K:
Not necessarily. In many cases 12 points doesn’t result in a ban these days, especially if you drive for a living. You still get the points but the ban is waivered due to ‘exceptional hardship’.

Indeed, the record apparently is 39 points…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-13277186

As it was in Northumbria area the course is available as they do run them also available on a weekend & as I understand they are a bit more than just the fine

But was it you driving or were you on your holiday then & someone was using your lorry :question:

It does seem that most of the Scottish forces dont run them

animal:
But was it you driving or were you on your holiday then & someone was using your lorry :question:

Definately me. :blush:

got done twice one at hebron/ the other at dunbar same day well sad :cry: :cry: only doing 80 km no joy of them bad day £120 6 points :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Caught at Dunbar? But it’s dual carriageway there…Or do you mean the last camera near the power station?

I got caught heading North at Eyemouth 4 years ago. 55 in a 40 so I know for a fact that is one of those variable speed Gatso thingmyjigs!

First week in the job too… :blush:

speeding in a goods vehicle can affect your car insurance, especially when it comes up for renewal. I was caught on A15 (m180 heading to Caenby Corner) and got a Sp10. 6 months later when my insurance came up for renewal they tried to up my insurance by £100+. Some will say don’t declare it but can you take the risk if you have to make a claim.

tad:
speeding in a goods vehicle can affect your car insurance, especially when it comes up for renewal. I was caught on A15 (m180 heading to Caenby Corner) and got a Sp10. 6 months later when my insurance came up for renewal they tried to up my insurance by £100+. Some will say don’t declare it but can you take the risk if you have to make a claim.

Of course it will, why would you think it is a separate issue?

Points on your driving licence are POINTS.

Wheel Nut:

tad:

Of course it will, why would you think it is a separate issue?

Points on your driving licence are POINTS.

Rob K wrote
Personally I’d take the points. 3 points doesn’t mean Jack these days and it’s highly unlikely that your own car insurance would be affected. They want people to take the speed awareness courses because it’s more £££££ in their pockets. Don’t be a sucker.

if you go past scamras on single roads above 40 then thats the risk you take… :laughing:

dazaster:
if you go past scamras on single roads above 40 then thats the risk you take… :laughing:

Correct, hence the footnote on my original post. :wink:

Lucy:

dazaster:

Correct, hence the footnote on my original post. :wink:

I heard a tesco drive got done for kerb crawling threw that camera.

A13 @ Canning Town flyover has a 30 limit which few observe. Average speed cameras have been in place for months but not activated yet for some reason. Thousands use that daily and I confidently predict thousands will get nicked when those cameras are working!