Warburtons

Hey All

Does anyone know what Warburtons are like to work for on Class 2 work? Just got a phone call from them offering me a ‘full time position on a temporary contract’ subject to an interview. To some maybe this is a bit of a no brainer but I’ve been told to stay away from Multidrop as much as I possibly can (I’m assuming it will be), SO do I stay with my current agency contract driving bin lorries not knowing when it could end (note, i’m also doing full days of being an actual loader sometimes when they don’t need me) or do I take the Warburtons offer subject to interview and people a lot of people off while doing my drops? :open_mouth:

If anyone has done Class 2 work for them, is it shop front in the middle of high streets during rush hour or is it like around the back of shops where you’re not in anyone’s way? What fleet do they run? Wage?

What do you think I should do?

Sam

They are in a period of flux at the moment, deliveries try to be shop front but surprisingly people make allowance for store deliveries so there is not much hassle there. Which is liable to last longest, they might be ongoing contracts but they should have a minimum term in mind.

Well I take it to be that ‘full time on a temporary contract’ basically means full hours just on a temporary contract of say 3 months? I can’t say for sure which will last longer, he never went into any detail as I guess it will all be explained at the interview. The job with the council was only supposed to last from the 16/03 and it’s now 08/04 and i’m about to start another week there tomorrow.

Council jobs can be like that, my best mate started with the council for a 3 week fill in job, still there after 14 years :open_mouth:

I have a friend that drives for hovis. Think he quite enjoys it. Very early starts though…like 1am/2am but he’s home by lunch. I believe its all front of shop work but the deliveries aren’t heavy etc and they don’t give you a stupid amount of drops, its all manageable within the driver hours. You get lots of cheap bread to :laughing: Think the wage is pretty average. I would guess Warburtons would be similar?

I guess the council would probably always have some sort of job going, especially with new houses being built/more rounds etc, plus you’re in a team, whereas multidrop you’re alone and have all the rush! Depends what you want! Good luck with whatever you pick, its nice to see one of us young’uns being given a chance!

You’re a young man Sam with no responsibilities yet I’m guessing. The bread job is usually early starts as said. You’ve still got a lot of living to do and those hours will definitely get in the way. Agencies often struggle to fill this work as it’s not popular so don’t be taken in by them. I can’t speak personally about your lot but honestly mate, I’ve been dealing with them for over 20 years and 95% couldn’t be trusted as far as you could throw them.

Kylie:
I have a friend that drives for hovis. Think he quite enjoys it. Very early starts though…like 1am/2am but he’s home by lunch. I believe its all front of shop work but the deliveries aren’t heavy etc and they don’t give you a stupid amount of drops, its all manageable within the driver hours. You get lots of cheap bread to :laughing: Think the wage is pretty average. I would guess Warburtons would be similar?

I guess the council would probably always have some sort of job going, especially with new houses being built/more rounds etc, plus you’re in a team, whereas multidrop you’re alone and have all the rush! Depends what you want! Good luck with whatever you pick, its nice to see one of us young’uns being given a chance!

I’m guessing your friend works at Dagenham. Why don’t you ask him what their turnover of drivers is like on the shop work?

Kylie:

Thank you Kylie. One of the things annoying me about the bin lorry council job is the fact there’s men jumping in and out of the cab all the time. I prefer just to be on my own and getting on with it. Only thing putting me off is the distance I would need to travel, my car is greedy on fuel especially with prices as high as they are and I can’t get rid of it as it’s on a contract.

44 Tonne, thanks for the reply. The Warburtons offer came directly from Warburtons themselves and not an agency.

got to admit, most of the jobs are given to agencies yet warbies have plenty of their own drivers… nobody wants to do the runs.

In Bolton they are trying to phase the C and 7.5T out and get it down to 3.5 but are struggling to get drivers…

Sam, why a temp contract? Shops are not going anywhere, not many closing down and the bread is on a SoR basis so its not much of a risk to have warbies supply… why can they not say how long they will need you? On agency I can understand it, they swap them about, but in house drivers?

welder:
Sam, why a temp contract? Shops are not going anywhere, not many closing down and the bread is on a SoR basis so its not much of a risk to have warbies supply… why can they not say how long they will need you? On agency I can understand it, they swap them about, but in house drivers?

I can only assume I picked him up right as I was in a loud environment at the time of the phone call. Like I said I guess most of the details will either be in the post or be told at the interview. I know someone else from here has been offered a start with them too and our interviews are on the same day so we’ll see what happens.

good luck mate, fingers crossed :slight_smile:

44 Tonne Ton:
I’m guessing your friend works at Dagenham. Why don’t you ask him what their turnover of drivers is like on the shop work?

Stevenage, but for work load/hours etc i’ve heard it pretty much the same at the Dagenham depot. Yeah I’ll ask him when I next speak to him

Sam,Warburton’s depot in central scotland is at Bellshill,with a wee depot in eurocentral. I think you are in Ayrshire??-bit of a commute at 0200!

Skippy70:
Sam,Warburton’s depot in central scotland is at Bellshill,with a wee depot in eurocentral. I think you are in Ayrshire??-bit of a commute at 0200!

Indeed fella. Can’t turn work down though :smiley:

sam whens your interview matey :smiley:

Kylie:

44 Tonne Ton:

Stevenage, but for work load/hours etc i’ve heard it pretty much the same at the Dagenham depot. Yeah I’ll ask him when I next speak to him

Didn’t know they had a place in Stevenage? Dagenham I know about and they couldn’t organise the proverbial ■■■■ up in a brewery!

craigiej:
sam whens your interview matey :smiley:

Thursday mate, you got one too? :smiley:

no mate i cant get nothing at all im really struggling :imp: i passed november and cant get a sniff mate if you here of anything give me a weeee shout would you :smiley:

Best thing to do is go to the interview, ask all the questions you need answering and to get a feel of the place also whether you would feel comfortable working there! A nice positive attitude also works also when you get to the interview also study up a bit on the history of the company you’ll find most places like that kind of thing, when I went to my interview where I work they were shocked and pleasantly surprised at how much I knew about them (Not bad for a once over on the internet the night before :laughing: )

And even if you don’t end up taking the job at least your still working which is in your favor too, I’d say. Good luck anyway mate :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses: