Wanted! John Marsh (Blackpool Van Trans)

:blush: :blush:

:blush: :blush:

Big Al:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

240 Gardner:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Excellent pics 240, were the Borderers with the extended head boards ex-suttons 8 pots??

It’s a Sutton’s roof, maybe the whole cab, but not a Sutton’s lorry. When I went to Marsh’s garage looking for Mk.1 Atki cab
bits in the mid-80s, they had a complete spare Sutton’s Mk.1 cab there, also with the ‘knob’ on the roof.

There are a couple of survivors from the BVT Atki fleet: YTE 885N shown above - the last I heard it was with Ken Abram -
and HXG 442L, still very active with the Steam Transport Group, carrying small st
eam locos about.

Ahh, yeah, just clocked the scotch reg one of them! Ive seen that steam group Atki, sounds as sweet as a nut, long may it continue!! :smiley:

Just trolling through Chris and came on this thread, I’m sure we have corresponded about it since
I was with Steve Richardson and Stephen Baines when they rescued YTE 885N from Ken Abram’s yard earlier last year. (see pictures)
As an update Steve called at my house on Saturday evening and in the course of our chat I asked about YTE 885N and he told me it had gone back
to BVT transport to be restored. When I put pictures on my web site of the recovery Chris Haworth got in touch with me and sent me pictures of
it when they owned it originally, I also published a b/w picture of it on tow behind an 8 wheeler Atkinson wrecker (did you send me it ? ) Chris
emailed me ref the b/w picture to tell me his Dad was driving the wrecker and he and his brothers are pictured in the cab (small Atki world)
So pleased to see another one being saved regards Big Al

Am i getting confused with another company or i thought that bvt he used to take the truck name eg atkinson etc of the trucks as iirc his words where if they want advertising they can pay for it â– â– ?

Here’s a 1/50th scratchbuild of the Dennison they used to run the trailer was a 1/43 scale kit chopped to size.Eddie.

the northwest trucks website had a load of good info and pictures on this outfit,my dad used to swap trailers with bvt when he was at harris road services in northwich,cheers gaz :slight_smile:

chrish0877:
BVT closed down in 1996, ultimately due to contract customers holding back payment, that coupled with the ever increasing costs ect. My Grandfather, Peter Haworth, decided enough was enough, after some 40 years building the firm to what it was then.
When i get time I will maybe start a new thread on BVT?, I have alot of photos and info on the fleet through the years, I also own the 2 atki borderers 240 Gardner has posted in above photo, YTE and FXG. :slight_smile:

It’s a long long time ago but I used to drive for Blackpool Van Transport in the late 60s and remember your grandfather Peter very well. They only had around 8 prime movers then including Atkinson 180, ERFs and Mercedes. If my memory serves me correctly they also had 2 or 3 tandem axle flat bed trailers and around 8 tandem axle van trailers. Most of the work in those days was for Burton’s and Symbol (later owned by Lyons) Biscuits. The routes were mainly, Blackpool to Basingstoke to Ryvita at Poole returning via Blackpool to Edinburgh or…Blackpool to Buntingford to Lyons at Greenford and return to Blackpool. Although I was only there for around 5 years I look back on the job as one that, I really enjoyed.

Dennison 4x2 tractor unit Reg No SFV 591X is pictured in Kent during the mid 1980’s, with long serving driver/fitter Peter ‘Wizzer’ Whiston, caught having a quick wash and shave!
Photograph courtesy of Chris Haworth whose grandfather ran John Marsh and Sons, Blackpool Van Transport for 40 years.

I hope that no-one minds if I put this photograph of a B.V.T. old timer on here . :slight_smile:
This van is on display in the Lakeland Motor Museum , Backbarrow , â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– 

Thanks to all the contributors for making this thread very interesting .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

John Marsh ran some Bullnose Mercs is there anybody with any pics.
from them there days?

Guesty44:
from them there days?

There are some on Flickr - I’ll find you a link :wink:

Guesty44:
from them there days?

Three bonneted Mercedes 4x2 tractor units.
This photograph is courtesy of Chris Haworth whose grandfather ran John Marsh and Sons, Blackpool Van Transport for 40 years.
It was taken when they were new in 1968 while parked in the yard on Midgeland Road, Blackpool.
Two were in John Marsh and Son livery, the other in BVT livery.

I have quite a number of BVT pictures which were all sent to me a while back by Chris Haworth when i ran the long gone Northwest Trucks site including this one.

At the time Chris also sent me all the info regarding this Atkinson Borderer 6x4 wrecker who recalls below…
This wrecker was built, by my grandfather in the early 1970’s and ran on trade plates up until the mid 80s after which time it was registered as Q677 GFV.
Powered by a 250 â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  and fitted with a rare 8 speed David Brown gearbox, the front end was grafted to a MK1 8 wheeler double drive unit, and the lifting gear was built with suspended towing Atkis in mind. (the lifting uprights being Atkinson chassis rails).
Pictured ABOVE peforming a rear end lift, on YTE 885N, on Strand Road, Preston, in 1986 it was sold on in 1989 to make way for a 6x4 ERF B series with a more suitable ‘underlift’.

moomooland:

Guesty44:
from them there days?

This photograph is courtesy of Chris Haworth whose grandfather ran John Marsh and Sons, Blackpool Van Transport for 40 years.
It was taken when they were new in 1968 while parked in the yard on Midgeland Road, Blackpool.

Forgot to say thanks Chris I ran with One of the lads who drove one of the bullnose Mercs many years ago
mainly sunday I think the wishing well was were we stopped for some grub Harry will remember Im sure.

Guesty44:

moomooland:

Guesty44:
from them there days?

Forgot to say thanks Chris I ran with One of the lads who drove one of the bullnose Mercs many years ago
mainly sunday I think the wishing well was were we stopped for some grub Harry will remember Im sure.

Are they still running â– â– ?
GUESTY44

I believe this can been seen normally parked on top of the bridge going over the M27 between J9 & 8 best viewed going westbound

Big Al:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

240 Gardner:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Excellent pics 240, were the Borderers with the extended head boards ex-suttons 8 pots??

It’s a Sutton’s roof, maybe the whole cab, but not a Sutton’s lorry. When I went to Marsh’s garage looking for Mk.1 Atki cab
bits in the mid-80s, they had a complete spare Sutton’s Mk.1 cab there, also with the ‘knob’ on the roof.

There are a couple of survivors from the BVT Atki fleet: YTE 885N shown above - the last I heard it was with Ken Abram -
and HXG 442L, still very active with the Steam Transport Group, carrying small st
eam locos about.

Ahh, yeah, just clocked the scotch reg one of them! Ive seen that steam group Atki, sounds as sweet as a nut, long may it continue!! :smiley:

I just found this picture of Steam Haulage Atki but not the HXG 442L reg one, pictures was taken around Southampton area

regards Big Al

Three Dennison photos out of a Dennison broucher. I can feel the notion of a scratchbuilt Dennison coming on. Eddie.

robthedog:
eam locos about.

[/quote]
I just found this picture of Steam Haulage Atki but not the HXG 442L reg one, pictures was taken around Southampton area

regards Big Al
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, this is a different motor, not associated with the Steam group I mentioned:

1972/73 Atkinson Borderer HXG442L by mwsmith20, on Flickr

Pretty sure this Atki was originaly 6LXB powered and had the 8 pot fitted in the mid 90s, can any one confirm that?
Chris.

Stayed at a campsite own by Jeremy Haworth in Blackpool a few months back,
Had a long chat about BVT, lorries & Transport in general,
my wife was really impressed NOT! & retired to the campervan to do stuffâ– â– ?
regards
Jeremy Roberts

moomooland:

Guesty44:
from them there days?

When I joined John Marsh in 1965, they already had one of these Mercedes, the one with the horns on the cab roof. If my memory serves me correctly, it was being driven at the time by Dave Pridmore. One of the other two I (can’t recall which one) I drove from new for 2 years between 1968 and 1970.