Wannabe driver!

Hi peeps!
I’ve finally got enough money to learn to drive lorries! I’m only 20 and have always wanted to just didn’t have the cash to do so.
I’ve got my medical booked for the 4th of October, hopefully I’ll pass and get my provisional and then I can learn!
Anyone got any tips, and advice?

My nearest centre Gatewen does all the training over 4 days, is it possible to learn everything in such a short space of time?

Thanks guys!

Alan16ac:
Hi peeps!
I’ve finally got enough money to learn to drive lorries! I’m only 20 and have always wanted to just didn’t have the cash to do so.
I’ve got my medical booked for the 4th of October, hopefully I’ll pass and get my provisional and then I can learn!
Anyone got any tips, and advice?

My nearest centre Gatewen does all the training over 4 days, is it possible to learn everything in such a short space of time?

Thanks guys!

Best of luck.

Timescales depends on how confident and competent you are in a car and how easily you will adapt.

4 days is not impossible.

You need to ask them whether you are going to be training on your own or with another trainee and how many hours on the road that will give you.

Thanks I’ll ask them that.
Had 23 hours of lessons when I was 17, passed my test 7 weeks after my birthday.
Pretty confident in a car.
I know it’s no way near a lorry but my car is pretty big and the other half won’t drive it (Skoda Superb). And I feel confident driving it and getting in and out of small spaces.

It’s the gearing thing that I’m worried about!

If it’s 4 days training with the test on day 5 that’s fairly normal and shouldn’t be a problem for a competent driver.

mrpj:
If it’s 4 days training with the test on day 5 that’s fairly normal and shouldn’t be a problem for a competent driver.

Thanks.
Just need to get through my medical first!

Oh ■■■■ here we go.

Q1: Do you have a job lined up?

A: Proceed to test
B: Wait till your 23 to have any work
C: Have you thought this through?

Don’t give up, being young you will get alot of doommongers even before you start driving. My question is this what is the peak age for race drivers and pilots it certainly isnt 50+ your reactions are better and you can cope with longer hours better when your young. If you past your test now just think youll have 5 yr experiance by the time your 23. I passed my test 4 months ago and have managed to find 3 jobs who claim that two year u25 ■■■■■■■■ just stick at it and accept being stigmatized as young and unable

stagedriver:
Oh [zb] here we go.

Q1: Do you have a job lined up?

A: Proceed to test
B: Wait till your 23 to have any work
C: Have you thought this through?

Yes, hopefully will be driving for Aldi.
I currently work for the, and they employ 21+ drivers.

bob96:
Don’t give up, being young you will get alot of doommongers even before you start driving. My question is this what is the peak age for race drivers and pilots it certainly isnt 50+ your reactions are better and you can cope with longer hours better when your young. If you past your test now just think youll have 5 yr experiance by the time your 23. I passed my test 4 months ago and have managed to find 3 jobs who claim that two year u25 ■■■■■■■■ just stick at it and accept being stigmatized as young and unable

Thanks I’m going to stick at it as its what I want to do. Everyone older than me was my age once anyway.
And there are jobs out there at my age. Aldi for instance. And as I already work for them I can put in a transfer request.

It’s good to see such a positive attitude and yes there are jobs out there.

Back in the day, I took my Class 1 on the morning of the 4th day. It turned out that I was examined by the cheif examiner of Bristol, who had quite a reputation.

Go for it and keep us posted of how you get on.

I’m going for it! Probably won’t be able to learn and do me test till January but I’ll get all the things like theory out the way ASAP.
Already been revising. There’s a fair bit more to it than the car theory that’s for sure!

Go for it

Dont forget you will have to do your Initial cpc ( mod 2 & 4 )

My training provider sorted all of my stuff out from medical to test lent me the disc for the theory & HPT ( btw is same as car & bike )

Who are you going with soz I m just the noisy woman here

animal:
Go for it

My training provider sorted all of my stuff out from medical to test lent me the disc for the theory & HPT ( btw is same as car & bike )

I think probably a company called Gatewen. They help sort everything out as well. And they recommended a GP so I the medical is only £47, my GP wanted £106!

If anyone could recommend a training place around north east Wales/North West England that’d be good though.

I know I need to do the CPC too.

this might be useful then

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

Have you been to visit them yet as always a good idea

Chevmac is in Flintshire he is on here if that any good to you but there are a few in your area who can poss recommend some

Sorry but dont have a crystal ball so didnt know where your were it is a good idea oh & as I am getting old my memory is not that good but remember everything comes to he who waits :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

animal:
Have you been to visit them yet as always a good idea

Chevmac is in Flintshire he is on here if that any good to you but there are a few in your area who can poss recommend some

Sorry but dont have a crystal ball so didnt know where your were it is a good idea oh & as I am getting old my memory is not that good but remember everything comes to he who waits :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No not yet. My friend from my previous job passed with them and he recommends them though.

animal:
theory & HPT ( btw is same as car & bike )

Just worth making it clear that only the HPT is the same for all vehicles. Theory test differs between different vehicles. Just thought I’d mention it in case anyone saw this and got confused.

Also regarding medicals you CAN go to a GP that you are not registered with. I rang around loads of local practices and found one for £60. My own GP who I’m registered with wanted £100

Alan16ac:
Thanks I’ll ask them that.
Had 23 hours of lessons when I was 17, passed my test 7 weeks after my birthday.
Pretty confident in a car.
I know it’s no way near a lorry but my car is pretty big and the other half won’t drive it (Skoda Superb). And I feel confident driving it and getting in and out of small spaces.

It’s the gearing thing that I’m worried about!

It is possible to pass your test in less than 23hrs i did class 2 in 11hrs & have done 6hrs class1.

One more 2hr lesson(8th Oct) then test (9th Oct).

Be confident and listen to your instructor

GOOD LUCK :wink:

LR18-8:

animal:
theory & HPT ( btw is same as car & bike )

Just worth making it clear that only the HPT is the same for all vehicles. Theory test differs between different vehicles. Just thought I’d mention it in case anyone saw this and got confused.

Also regarding medicals you CAN go to a GP that you are not registered with. I rang around loads of local practices and found one for £60. My own GP who I’m registered with wanted £100

Alan16ac:

animal:
Go for it

I think probably a company called Gatewen. They help sort everything out as well. And they recommended a GP so I the medical is only £47, my GP wanted £106!

Think he has found 1 cheaper than you many be a read just to clarify