Waitrose LGV1 C+E Driver £53,262/year?

I’m trying to figure out how Waitrose are quoting the max salary on offer for this job as £53,262 when the max hourly rate is advertised as £16.25/hour.

jlpjobs.com/search-jobs/lgv … ver-39498/

Salary £13.00 - £16.25
Salary Frequency Hourly
Hours of Work 47.5 to include weekends
Total Annual pay: £43,794 - £ 53,262

Assuming 4 weeks of annual leave per year, spread out equally across the two WTD reference periods, you could conceivably do 52 hour weeks and keep within the allowed 48 hour average.

So 52 x £16.25 = £845/week x 52 = £43,940/year

Any clues?

It will be based on a 60+ hour week. (16.25×60×52=50,700)
Don’t forget breaks and POA don’t count towards weekly working averages, so you can get as much time on either of those as possible.
It’s either that or some sort of enhancements for overtime

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I really wish they wouldn’t resort to this sort of pie-in-the-sky calculation. You’ve got articles in the media now claiming the salaries for their HGV drivers exceed that of those in executive positions in head office. All designed to make attention grabbing headlines with little basis in reality.

It’s the only way they stand any chance of getting drivers! I’ve said this about 3 or 4 times now - it’s the new meta for advertising jobs by all the [zb] payers. Put the pay as a salary based on working 84 hours a week, 5 nights out, night shift, both weekend days and also bank holidays and you come up with a £50k+ salary. The real hourly rate for most of them is about £11-12/hr, hence why they have to do the above because everyone seeing £11-12/hr advertised just skips straight past the next ad in the curent climate.

We understand these calculations but dear old Joe Public just sees the headline rate and swallows the nonsense peddled.

It’s like fuel consumption figures for vehicles - little relationship to the real world.

Afternoon Shift

Start times are between 17:00 to 20:59 & 18:00 to 21:59 . Based on a 4 hr window.

Working hours are 47.5 hours per week, any 5 from 7 days including some weekend working on a rotation.

what other job on the planet has this ridiculous timings.
47.5 standard week over any 7 days WTF.
start times between a 4 hour window and that means the finish times are when ever.
so they want you to be avaible for a 4 hour window start and basically finish anytime and any 5 days out of 7 47.5 hours a week minium for 13 quid a hour.
No wonder they can’t get ■■■■■■■ drivers who the ■■■■ wants to devote their life to john Lewis.

I give you a better idea 40k for day shift and 43k for nights salary. 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts.
you will have a que of drivers willing todo it.
100% utilastion of the vehicle and work force.
I just don’t see the point in these nonsense jobs.

Assuming OT is around £20, doing 22 (10 hour days) 6 day weeks (potentially, minus the 4 holiday) that’s another £4400, maybe enhanced rates for bank holidays and add those in too? If, if, if…

norm:
I really wish they wouldn’t resort to this sort of pie-in-the-sky calculation. You’ve got articles in the media now claiming the salaries for their HGV drivers exceed that of those in executive positions in head office. All designed to make attention grabbing headlines with little basis in reality.

So what we are now seeing is the editorial line ever so slightly changing. You watch as time goes on. The narrative will subtly start to turn against us. It started with: “lorry drivers aren’t paid enough”, to “lorry drivers are now earning more than the middle class!”, and eventually “greedy lorry drivers hold the country to ransom and demand more pay!”.

This has happened with just about every workforce that has found itself in this position. Sadly, the effects of a lorry driver shortage are much more tangible in Joe Publics day to day life, thus even less effort is required to turn him against you.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Themoocher:
Afternoon Shift

Start times are between 17:00 to 20:59 & 18:00 to 21:59 . Based on a 4 hr window.

Working hours are 47.5 hours per week, any 5 from 7 days including some weekend working on a rotation.

what other job on the planet has this ridiculous timings.
47.5 standard week over any 7 days WTF.
start times between a 4 hour window and that means the finish times are when ever.
so they want you to be avaible for a 4 hour window start and basically finish anytime and any 5 days out of 7 47.5 hours a week minium for 13 quid a hour.
No wonder they can’t get [zb] drivers who the [zb] wants to devote their life to john Lewis.

I give you a better idea 40k for day shift and 43k for nights salary. 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts.
you will have a que of drivers willing todo it.
100% utilastion of the vehicle and work force.
I just don’t see the point in these nonsense jobs.

Yep exactly absolute ■■■■■■■■ job
Worse than Victorian times :exclamation:

talknonsense:
So what we are now seeing is the editorial line ever so slightly changing. You watch as time goes on. The narrative will subtly start to turn against us. It started with: “lorry drivers aren’t paid enough”, to “lorry drivers are now earning more than the middle class!”, and eventually “greedy lorry drivers hold the country to ransom and demand more pay!”.

This has happened with just about every workforce that has found itself in this position. Sadly, the effects of a lorry driver shortage are much more tangible in Joe Publics day to day life, thus even less effort is required to turn him against you.

Very astute.
I could not agree more.

talknonsense:

norm:

Maybe, but I have a very thick skin so as long as they keep bumping the money up I just don’t care what Joe Public thinks about me. :wink:

According to the Sunday Times Waitrose are paying their lorry drivers more than they pay their lawyers. Must be true. Is this market forces at work. Does any one know where all of those thousands of lorries without jockeys are parked up?

Socketset:
We understand these calculations but dear old Joe Public just sees the headline rate and swallows the nonsense peddled.

It’s like fuel consumption figures for vehicles - little relationship to the real world.

Just proving, if proof were needed, the formidable power these rags have to manipulate any narrative to hand. Project- Veritas can’t come quick enough. :smiling_imp:

jlpjobs.com/search-jobs/lgv … ver-39498/

Salary £13.00 - £16.25
Salary Frequency Hourly
Hours of Work 47.5 to include weekends
Total Annual pay: £43,794 - £ 53,262

Someone I know has just got a job at the above and he says it is salary based on 47.5 hours per week, pay ranging from a base entry rate to a ceiling. It also includes shift allowance, 20% for days and PM shifts and 33% for nights. Since joining earlier, he has had more or less a 25% pay rise.

All makes good headlines drivers earn 45k plus.
To outsiders it all looks good. But untill your a driver then realise how many hours you do.
Heard an article on local radio saying hgv drivers earning more than solicitors lawyer’s surveyor etc.
And won’t be long before were public enemy number one. Being paid to much and out fault prices are rising

If you take the bank holiday night rate, make a 15 hour shift out of it, and then multiply it by 7 shifts in a week, and then 52 weeks in a year - you get the figure of £53,262. Simples. :stuck_out_tongue:

Winseer:
If you take the bank holiday night rate, make a 15 hour shift out of it, and then multiply it by 7 shifts in a week, and then 52 weeks in a year - you get the figure of £53,262. Simples. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep.
Like the Tesco joining bonus that made headlines £1000 to come work for TESCO!!!
Terms and conditions not shown anywhere on the advert: Must work for Tesco for a minimum of 6 months to receive

adam277:

Winseer:

Yep.
Like the Tesco joining bonus that made headlines £1000 to come work for TESCO!!!
Terms and conditions not shown anywhere on the advert: Must work for Tesco for a minimum of 6 months to receive

Tesco drivers that actually wear the Tescos shirt - seem to be limited to Dot Com puddle jumper drivers at this time.
I’ve seen one old boy in the past fornight that holds down one of these jobs where the £1000 bonus applies…if you could get such a job.
I think you have to go full time directly employed, rather than in there on agency or via the contractor running the transport side, Eg Stobarts @ Doncaster or Maritime @ Snodland etc.

[/quote]
Maybe, but I have a very thick skin so as long as they keep bumping the money up I just don’t care what Joe Public thinks about me. :wink:
[/quote]
You should. This is an information war and RHA and employers have come out all guns blazing trying to get their cheap labour back. I’ve heard it framed that it’s all about their poor european drivers who they feel so sad for. In reality they don’t care where that driver is from as long as he works for minimum wage, works 60+ hours a week and they can hire and fire at will.

If the public don’t hear the other side of the story, they’ll believe anything they’re told and why shouldn’t they!
They’ve got a vested interest in believing the stories. They want their supermarket shelves full. They want their stuff delivered. They want their homes built. It’s mentally very easy to blame one person instead of looking at a complicated problem that requires plenty of research to really see what’s going on.

If you sit back quietly, trust me, you won’t be smiling sitting back on higher wages. The government will bend to popular opinion. And popular opinion right now seems to be “Greedy truckers hold country to ransom” You’ll be back at minimum wage fighting against eastern Europeans, philipinos and God only knows who else from the third world willing to work for a bowl of rice.

Today, we have just as much power as the RHA, employers, the government and the media with access to social media, the internet and forums.

We can leave comments on media stories. We can post videos on YouTube explaining our side. We can post on social media explaining how these job adverts are basically lies. We can post on other forums (fishing, cars, or whatever hobby you’ve got) it’s a hot topic and people are taking about it everywhere. They’re genuinely interested.

Last point - if someone is stood there punching you in the face would you just sit back and smile or would you fight back?

^^^^
This.

Big money has a vested interest and lobby groups to keep badgering HMG to give way on this.

So far I have seen absolutely nothing in any comment anywhere about the disgracful practice companies have of writing into employment contracts that the driver will in effect be liable to pay the insurance excess, in the event of damage to the vehicle, and this will be deducted from wages and not from any bonus payments.