Waitrose LGV1 C+E Driver £53,262/year?

If anyone is really thinking the tories are going to stand against the bosses and for a decent wage you are dreaming. The tories want wages as low as they can go - their whole economic philosophy depends on it. They just cant turn round and bring back hundreds of thousands of Ees just yet because it would be terrible for the image.

Remember how cheif brexiterr Tim Martin treated his workers - sacked the bloody lot and said go work for tesco. Do you really think Timmy boy was expecting to have to pay his drivers more after brexit? Laughable

JeffA:
If anyone is really thinking the tories are going to stand against the bosses and for a decent wage you are dreaming. The tories want wages as low as they can go - their whole economic philosophy depends on it. They just cant turn round and bring back hundreds of thousands of Ees just yet because it would be terrible for the image.

In fact, the Government has repeatedly made it clear to the road transport industry that the solution to the driver shortage is for the industry to work out, largely through increased wages.

Thats true for the moment Harry - after 4 years screaming “we dont need the eu” its a bit hard for them to turn round and start screaming they desperately need EU workers isnt it?

That would be terrible for Boris’s image.

Give it a few years first.

Err, how many U turns have this lot made? I’ve lost count, so I’m not relying upon them ruling out another specifically on this very issue.It will all be about the spin.

If they can spin it they will get the EE’s back - but I can’t see how they can. They’ve been screaming for 4 years solid “We don’t need the EU” - then the first problem they get they go cap in hand to the EU to save the UK with their workers?

That’s a hard one to spin.

Themoocher:
Afternoon Shift

Start times are between 17:00 to 20:59 & 18:00 to 21:59 . Based on a 4 hr window.

Working hours are 47.5 hours per week, any 5 from 7 days including some weekend working on a rotation.

what other job on the planet has this ridiculous timings.

Start time window for where I’m at is 16.15 - 20:15 on nights and 04:00 to 07:30 on days although they do try to keep your start times within a couple of hours of the day before. .

47.5 standard week over any 7 days WTF.

Shops need supplying 7 days a week.

start times between a 4 hour window and that means the finish times are when ever.
so they want you to be avaible for a 4 hour window start and basically finish anytime and any 5 days out of 7 47.5 hours a week minium for 13 quid a hour.
No wonder they can’t get [zb] drivers who the [zb] wants to devote their life to john Lewis.

And yet my spot had absolutely no problem finding 15 drivers last month although they pay £3/hr more.

Build5:

Maybe, but I have a very thick skin so as long as they keep bumping the money up I just don’t care what Joe Public thinks about me. :wink:
[/quote]
You should. This is an information war and RHA and employers have come out all guns blazing trying to get their cheap labour back. I’ve heard it framed that it’s all about their poor european drivers who they feel so sad for. In reality they don’t care where that driver is from as long as he works for minimum wage, works 60+ hours a week and they can hire and fire at will.

If the public don’t hear the other side of the story, they’ll believe anything they’re told and why shouldn’t they!
They’ve got a vested interest in believing the stories. They want their supermarket shelves full. They want their stuff delivered. They want their homes built. It’s mentally very easy to blame one person instead of looking at a complicated problem that requires plenty of research to really see what’s going on.

If you sit back quietly, trust me, you won’t be smiling sitting back on higher wages. The government will bend to popular opinion. And popular opinion right now seems to be “Greedy truckers hold country to ransom” You’ll be back at minimum wage fighting against eastern Europeans, philipinos and God only knows who else from the third world willing to work for a bowl of rice.

Today, we have just as much power as the RHA, employers, the government and the media with access to social media, the internet and forums.

We can leave comments on media stories. We can post videos on YouTube explaining our side. We can post on social media explaining how these job adverts are basically lies. We can post on other forums (fishing, cars, or whatever hobby you’ve got) it’s a hot topic and people are taking about it everywhere. They’re genuinely interested.

Last point - if someone is stood there punching you in the face would you just sit back and smile or would you fight back?
[/quote]
Essentially, the RHA are REMAINERS.
It is unfortunate we cannot vote them out, or otherwise get rid of them, since they are NO friends of the Driving Community! :angry:

cav551:
Err, how many U turns have this lot made? I’ve lost count, so I’m not relying upon them ruling out another specifically on this very issue.It will all be about the spin.

With my phone ringing off the hook at the end of July, - Waitrose who stood me down April 1st last year - never grovelled to get me back on a seat again… I guess they cannot be that short of drivers then… Yet!

I still get texts from Staffline touting hourly rates north of £20ph - but of course, that doesn’t include me, but CAN include those with no experience and six points on their licence, apparently…

Winseer:

cav551:

With my phone ringing off the hook at the end of July, - Waitrose who stood me down April 1st last year - never grovelled to get me back on a seat again… I guess they cannot be that short of drivers then… Yet!

I still get texts from Staffline touting hourly rates north of £20ph - but of course, that doesn’t include me, but CAN include those with no experience and six points on their licence, apparently…

Winseer you ever done Argos out of Basildon?
I done one day but was really put off by the security searching your bag everyday and checking your phone. Also the whiteboarding. (Having multiple runs planned for you at the start of the day, instead of getting back to the yard then seeing what you can do with what hours you have left).

adam277:
I done one day but was really put off by the security searching your bag everyday and checking your phone. Also the whiteboarding. (Having multiple runs planned for you at the start of the day, instead of getting back to the yard then seeing what you can do with what hours you have left).

This kind of crap “offends” me far more than driver-facing cab cameras. Instead of trust and respect, you’re treated like a criminal. They could offer me £100/hr to drive for them and I’d refuse as a matter of principle.

DCPCFML:

adam277:

This kind of crap “offends” me far more than driver-facing cab cameras. Instead of trust and respect, you’re treated like a criminal. They could offer me £100/hr to drive for them and I’d refuse as a matter of principle.

I was invited to attend an assessment @ Basildon, Argos six months ago.

True, I was lured in to make the enquiry by the top dollar rates on offer.
I was a bit taken aback when I was told there would be an unpaid “assessment”, as I thought the job to be Night Trunking, hence the higher hourly rate?

Turned out the assessor filled me in on what the job would actually entail, which was daytime multidropping around London stores.

I told him that I wouldn’t presume to waste his time assessing me for a job I didn’t and don’t want at all.
Saved him an appointment, and me the unpaid day off/dartford crossing toll/wasted time that it would have been getting to the yard, only to find out then that the job was not what I was led to believe it to be.

I also turned down an unpaid assessment @ Dartford Sainsburys when it turned out that the higher paid shifts “were not actually available”, and I would be expected to do 45 hours during the week - to get on the pecking order for the premium weekend rates, which were not premium at all if one was performing them as “overtime” don’t forget.

Just a question folks, been a while since I drove a HGV, I’m still in the buses. Are Waitrose ( or indeed most supermarket) trucks manual or automatic?
The last time I drove a spilt box manual HGV was when I did my course in 2007!
Been driving buses for about 10 years on and off, left a few times but keep
finding myself coming back. The money is poor though.

Just about all of the modern trucks are auto nowadays. Lots of new entries have passed their tests in auto trucks ,this reflects the state of play in the industry. I still like a 4 over 4 though.

Themoocher:
I give you a better idea 40k for day shift and 43k for nights salary. 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts.
you will have a que of drivers willing todo it.
100% utilastion of the vehicle and work force.
I just don’t see the point in these nonsense jobs.

I’m a learner (just passed CPC in ireland) and I agree - the 4 on and 4 off shifts would be perfect.

adam277:

Winseer:

cav551:

Checking your phone for what exactly■■?

drover:

adam277:

Winseer:

cav551:

They record your IMEI number I believe when you register so they know it’s yours. So they can make sure you have not stolen it from the back of the truck. So if you get a new phone you have to register with security your new phone otherwise they might assume you stole it.

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
They record your IMEI number I believe when you register so they know it’s yours. So they can make sure you have not stolen it from the back of the truck. So if you get a new phone you have to register with security your new phone otherwise they might assume you stole it.
[/quote]
Alternatively, there are firms who have their security check your mobile phones to see if you’ve taken any incriminating photographs around the site… Taking photos is forbidden on some sites, likely to cover up the possibility of unsafe and illegal acts being caught on film/photo that can be used in a future court case against the firm (for instance…) Meanwhile, those same firms might use camera footage of their own ONLY when it is “against the driver” rather than to back them up in any way…

Doesn’t anything above £50,271.00 falls into a 40% income tax?

osark:
Doesn’t anything above £50,271.00 falls into a 40% income tax?

Yea, but still worth it.

norm:
I’m trying to figure out how Waitrose are quoting the max salary on offer for this job as £53,262 when the max hourly rate is advertised as £16.25/hour.

jlpjobs.com/search-jobs/lgv … ver-39498/

Salary £13.00 - £16.25
Salary Frequency Hourly
Hours of Work 47.5 to include weekends
Total Annual pay: £43,794 - £ 53,262

Assuming 4 weeks of annual leave per year, spread out equally across the two WTD reference periods, you could conceivably do 52 hour weeks and keep within the allowed 48 hour average.
Don’t forget your weeks of annual leave count as 48 hours also so average still needs to be 48 hours

So 52 x £16.25 = £845/week x 52 = £43,940/year

Any clues?