Wagon with no 12v socket

Hi folks the firm I work for has some vehicles in the fleet without a 12v cigarette lighter socket and we don’t have a assigned wagon to ourself so we are in a different wagons every other day, since it’s multi drop work and I’m new to the firm and routes can anyone recommend a decent external power source? I have a solar panel charger but with the British sun always shy to come out I’m looking at a alternative means just to initially help me along until I find my footings around these new places. Any advice on products will be much appreciated.

I’m assuming that there will be a 24v outlet somewhere so I’d recommend one of those voltage droppers that plugs into your ciggie lighter socket. Not that expensive either.

roadking.co.uk/24v-12v-dropp … 4-12v.html

what u trying to plug in m8

What are you looking to charge? Most phones and Sat Navs can be charged from 12 and 24 volts. They tend to work on 5 volts, USB voltage and the charging leafs drop the 12 or 24 to 5 volts.

Or you can get an external battery “power bank”. I’ve got one that is 25000Mah I believe. Will comfortably keep a phone or sat nav going all day. Take it home and charge it up at night.

Yes sorry I’m wanting to keep my satnav on the go, it has a usb cable which plugs into the a cig lighter sockets. Ahhhh “power bank” that’s what somone told me about

What make of Sat Nav. If it’s using a USB cable then it takes a 5v charge and your car charging cable will have a built in dropper and it’s likely to be 12/24v. Have a look at it and it will probably be marked as such.

It will be ok in the 24 volt socket

Most car plugs for sat-navs, phones or similar devices will be able to be used in a 12v or 24v socket, as they step it down to a 5v USB supply. It will usually be marked on it. Just like most mains adaptors for them can be used in 110v or 230v.

Obviously appliances which run directly off the 12v or 24v supply, such as kettles, microwaves or inverters, need to be used with the correct voltage.

It’s a hgv sat nav off eBay with a 7" screen I used it at my old job on a daf lf which was 24v and the wagons at the firm I’m at now uses 12v it says 5v on the socket which the usb cable plugs into, just been on eBay and seen 50000mah power banks for about £15 anyone used these and would they keep the satnav going for most of the day?

Also to add to my original post the wagons used don’t have any form of socket to plug anything into, the in cab phone has been wired into it and thus losing the socket altogether

it might help if you mention what type/make of wagon you are useing as most usually have mutiple outlets inc hella sockets

Notimetoulouse:
it might help if you mention what type/make of wagon you are useing as most usually have mutiple outlets inc hella sockets

No iv searched the wagons no outlet whatsoever iv used a hella socket before and have a adaptor for them, my old firms daf tankers had them

I’m a bit of a tinkerer. I’d knock something up to take a feed from an interior light or something similar. Bloody stupid company if you ask me, not giving you provision to a satnav power source. I’ve got chargers, usb’s and gizmos coming out of my ears.

Been past loads of your lot Fri/Sat mate!!

Do you always have the same TGX?

PaulNowak:
I’m a bit of a tinkerer. I’d knock something up to take a feed from an interior light or something similar. Bloody stupid company if you ask me, not giving you provision to a satnav power source. I’ve got chargers, usb’s and gizmos coming out of my ears.

Mate I agree with you there kinda annoys me and its little things like that which add unessersary stress to drivers on deadlines to new places

stinger:
It’s a hgv sat nav off eBay with a 7" screen I used it at my old job on a daf lf which was 24v and the wagons at the firm I’m at now uses 12v it says 5v on the socket which the usb cable plugs into, just been on eBay and seen 50000mah power banks for about £15 anyone used these and would they keep the satnav going for most of the day?

50,000 mA-hr is 50 Amp-hours, which is the same charge capacity as a small car battery. That should power your Satnav for several days before needing a recharge. A typical faglighter phone or USB charger has a maximum output of 1 Amp or so (at 5V), which the power bank would be capable of providing for 50 hours continuous usage.

Roymondo:

stinger:

50,000 mA-hr is 50 Amp-hours, which is the same charge capacity as a small car battery. That should power your Satnav for several days before needing a recharge. A typical faglighter phone or USB charger has a maximum output of 1 Amp or so (at 5V), which the power bank would be capable of providing for 50 hours continuous usage.

That sounds like something I need think I’ll invest in one if that’s the case thanks for your technical input well done!

Pop it into the workshop. 5 minute job to change it from 24v to 12v. No way would I risk my phone or sat nav plugging it into a 24v socket.

I think that usb stuff is alright with 24 or 12 volt.I was in a strange motor once recently and fried my dvd player it was a small round plug and not usb.I dont know why the fuse didnt protect that player though.