Wagon-and-Drag or Artic for lessons/test?

I passed my C Test in 2003 after c.10 hours tuition. I hadn’t driven a truck prior (or since) the test.

I now wish to add C+E to my licence. I wish to do so not for employment (at this point in time) but
mainly so that I can add B+E and C1+E to my licence.

I have taken two Artic lessons so far -

• Mercedes Box-body artic - gears too close for my liking (couldnt get the hang of them) PLUS the instructor talked
    too much (very distracting when you are trying to take in so much in such a large vehicle).

• DAF Tanker - didnt like the instructor - too patronising (I’ve been driving for 20+ years…I’m not a 17yr old!)

In both cases I also found it difficult to adjust to the tight line the trailer takes, and I found the reversing tricky.
(I’m sure if I persisted I would get the hang of an artic, but perhaps it would take too long/cost a lot more if I did so)

I’m now considering trying a wagon-and-drag for lessons/the test.

What do you guys think?
Is it easier to learn/pass using a wagon-and-drag?

Many find using W&D easier for the test then do a little artic training posts test

I found it easier to pass in w&d tbh

Why don’t you go have a test drive in 1 see how you find it then decide

best try both … I would personally just take the bull and go with an artic you already have a C which is half a WAG & DRAG

As Animal has suggested a trial drive would be your best option. Many trainers including ourselves are happy to arrange these free of charge with no obligation to book afterwards. You would then be in a better position to see which type of vehicle suits you best.

The main advantage of passing in a W&D is that the training time will be less and therefore cheaper while still ending up with the same licence.

The main advantage of passing in an artic is that you will most likely be driving that type of vehicle after passing the test.

Reversing is very similar in either type. Uncoupling/recoupling is probably slightly easier in an artic. Forward driving is definately easier in a W&D. This is because the coupling point is much further back causing the trailer to follow the towing vehicle more like a train on tracks. The artics however with the coupling pin near the front cause the trailer to cut accross much sooner. This can be more difficult for left turns.

Hope this helps

ROG:
Many find using W&D easier for the test then do a little artic training posts test

Scarily I agree with you Rog. This is the way I went and have no regrets.

Without a doubt, w+d is easier.

You could make it easier still and do it on auto.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to TruckNet.

I agree with the previous posters. I learned in a W&D and then took a couple of hours in an artic to get the feel of it, particularly reversing it.

As your requirement is to add the CE category to your licence without knowing what you may be driving in the future I suggest you take the easier course of the W&D. You can always do a bit in an artic at some point in the future if you need to.

Regarding trainers’ attitudes, you need one you are comfortable with. The two who have posted on this thread - Pete at PSTT (Mansfield) and John at Flair (Chelmsford) are both personally known to me and I am confident you would not find any problem with either of them.

I traveled well over 100 miles to train with Pete at PSTT, and I know two of the posters on this thread traveled further than I did to use the trainers of their choice.

I have talked to several artic drivers who are horrified at the thought of having to drive a W&D and consider it to be much more difficult that an artic. It is often a just case of perception.

If you are within striking distance of either Mansfield or Chelmsford, I suggest you book an assessment with either Pete or John.

Alan

I’m in the same predicament. Want to take my class 1 in the new year and thinking about training in a W&D. By the sounds of it, this will be the easier option to pass the test, plus afterwards I could take a couple of artic lessons.

I passed on W&D and had the same concerns. However it’s the best thing I did. Cost a fraction of the price and was very easy to pass. I had an assessment drive in an artic this week having never even been in one. Passed it no problem and didn’t find it difficult to adapt at all. Reversing was slightly different but I got the hang of it in 5 minutes. I would take the test in a W&D if I was you

Whatever you find easier, or more comfortable to deal with - you should go for.

At the end of the day, a peice of blue paper with PASS on it is what your looking for.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

It has convinced me to go for the w&d lessons in the new year.
(I will then be in a better position to know if w&d or artic is the
way to go for me).

Happy Christmas!

I did 3 assessments last week for new drivers, all three were fairly new, 2 done theirs on W&D and had been driving rigids for a few months, one had done artic for his CE, the W&D boys didn’t make the cut, the artic trained guy was hired. I never did see the point of training on a wag and drag unless you want to work for some of the Dutch flower boys.

Why would you even think about cost when it comes to training for your career, do it properly or just don’t bother. All these schools that push you towards a W&D most likely don’t even have an artic to train you in, find a different training outfit.

I think the last post above mine is exactly why we moved away from drawbar vehicles to articulated trucks. Our Flat bed drawbar built new by Volvo in 1997 (long since retired) made the test so easy but customers were not prepared for the ‘real world’. Now we use a Volvo FH13 artic that is about as big as you can possibly get, its certainly full size and we get customers from all over the UK who want to train in a proper truck. However I’m sure that some go elsewhere due to us not offering a cheaper and easier drawbar truck, one of our DAF’s is piped up for a trailer but after experience with them before we decided to not get a trailer for it.

Local businesses asked us to provide training on ‘realistic’ vehicles, so that’s the choice we made. I would guess that whatever route you choose needs to suit what you want to do with your licence. Big employers in our part of country turn away many job applicants that can’t just jump in an artic and put it on a bay.

However, wait until next year and do it on an auto, we have just ordered 2 new Volvo I-shifts to replace the manuals, due in late February but we won’t be getting an I-shift Volvo FH until the end of 2014 unless commercial pressures force us to.

Tockwith Training:
I would guess that whatever route you choose needs to suit what you want to do with your licence. Big employers in our part of country turn away many job applicants that can’t just jump in an artic and put it on a bay.

That is the question, do you train to pass the test or do you train to get a job. If I had to do it from scratch I know what I would choose.

And the debate goes on, irrespective of what combination you use to gain your CE licence it’s a step on the ladder into the industry when the learning really begins!

Paul

IME candidates who are trained PROPERLY on w+d have little problem with an artic. I always suggest a couple of hours to gain confidence.

The hard fact is that when we ran an artic at the side of w+d the take up for it was stupidly low. Costs were the same and the artic was a very nice vehicle.

Good truck operators are spending proper time on inductions and specific vehicle training and this is making it easier for new drivers to get a start.

The largest truck operator in our area (100 trucks) employs our new drivers with no problem. They have a split of 50/50 artic and w+d. Our new drivers often start on artic having had the conversion course which I designed for the operator and trained the assessor in it’s delivery.

Having said all that, I pine for artics. Just cant them to work.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

After reading this thread and much consideration, I’ve decided to book my Class 1 in a W+D. Once passed, I will have a couple of hours in an artic.

Cheers guys - it definitely makes sense to make it easier for yourself and save money.

You might want to send a pm for a discount voucher, if you haven’t done so already. That way you potentially save another bundle!

Happy New Year, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve said it before if I was training again now I would do wag and drag with Peter and no one else