Wages

Hi Everyone,

I’m totally new to this trucking world.

I’ve yet to get my licences.

However I was wondering what would you expect a class 1 tipper driver tramping to make.

Thanks,

Fraser

not again lol .

A percentage rate on tippers probably .So crap .

Find out what the…

Average driver earns and it’ll be that.

Tipper drivers earn no more and no less than any other drivers on the road.

What ever you haul, who ever you do it for, you’ll end up with roughly the same money where ever you go.

At my last job I left I was on scrap tipper work I made 32.5k including nights out. Just a simple hourly rate no percentage or loads bonus top ups but it was 60+hrs a week.

between 25k and 35k

It really depends on you. Many would jump at the chance at a short trunking run with no nights out for 25k others would want to max their hours all the time for 35k+
Then again you may end up working for a firm who expects you to max your hours every week for 25k. Impossible to say but the best thing to do is check a job site.

You should check out the newbees forum. Personally I doubt if its worth investing in this game as it is now. Training will cost you about £4,000. and there is no guarantee that you will pass the driving tests. There is no shortage of drivers out there contrary to what the media tell you.

Truck drivers are like taxi drivers, make the job out to be ■■■■ to keep newcomers away from the industry.

reeferman65:
Truck drivers are like taxi drivers, make the job out to be [zb] to keep newcomers away from the industry.

As a guy who passed his test less then a year ago I’ve never had this issue ever.
I also would love there to be more young British truck drivers in the industry as the vast majority are over 50 or from the continent.

Because idiots put them off coming into the industry like i just said. I’ve been an hgv driver since 1985, some good informative drivers on this forum but too many waste of space know it all’s who know very little. Remember you never stop learning and you won’t go far wrong.

Fraser1234:
Hi Everyone,

I’m totally new to this trucking world.

I’ve yet to get my licences.

However I was wondering what would you expect a class 1 tipper driver tramping to make.

Thanks,

Fraser

Rather than worry about what the wage is,

I feel, you need to work out what your weekly monthly ongoing costs are, ie rent, insurance bills etc … that’s a start, it can give you a general idea of what you need to clear the outgoing costs …

A lot would say start at the bottom take any job, i am sure there are plenty of good quality jobs out there, and yes new drivers can and do get them. Generally, the good jobs are hardly advertised.

It will cost a lot to get he licence, however, once you have it , you have it … I don’t drive trucks but I got my licence for my job reasons …

If you want to do it, go for it. A lot will be negative and tell you it’s poor, however. Here are loads on here who love it … and good on job will be what you make it.

Have a look on google, and search UK government LGV funding there are a few sites that might be able to assist in payments. For free…

Good luck.

I’ve had my class 2 for a long time (horses) but only passed my class 1 in 2016

I love the job most of the time but I like being on my own and I don’t have to be home every night

Have a hunt about in the new driver’s section. Not only will it answer some of the money questions but it will give you a lot of great tips for your tests, which you aren’t guaranteed to pass by any means. Don’t underestimate them :smiley: (the tests I mean)

Read a lot of what’s written and if you find someone you think writes sense and who you understand, ask them questions which you have thought out and structured to be understood

Best of luck

I posted not to be negative but to pass on what experience I have.I was earning £7.50 on class 2 20 years ago. I drove a class 2 tipper 3 years ago for £10.00 have been doing buses ever since ,so what is the going rate for the job now? Taxi drivers don’t earn very much either, been their got the tee shirt. If the O.P. has money to invest in training I think he should learn to be a sparky or heating engineer.Well, what do you guys think?

depends where you live…in the south they were advertising for a class 1 tipper tramper take home £600 a week, all taxes etc paid… prob around £400 oop norf. :smiley:

Join the army, they pay for your training, get your licence and put in the 3 years then look around

The OP’s request is very specific, artic tippers tramping.

Not the best pay in the industry, but far from the worst, the job is, or was when i did it many years ago, fine, you keep away from RDC’s and the numerous arses found in such places, depending where you work a lot less box ticking than in other sectors especially if you’re on the grain or landfill/recycling, bit more H&S on the aggregate side.

You also tend to get a lorry that’s been specced by some bugger who knows what’s needed and what can stand the work, not what 3 years and it’s knackered tat the salesman was pushing.
More cameraderie to be found in that sector too, which there is a lot to be said for.

reeferman65:
Truck drivers are like taxi drivers, make the job out to be [zb] to keep newcomers away from the industry.

Do you REALLY believe that?
I admittedlly and personally would not recommend starting this job to anybody today, and if ever I’m asked about it, I try and give an accurate balanced account of it… including the (few) good points about it.
But as for keeping newcomers away from the industry why would I want to? :neutral_face: …or why would any driver want to tbh?
I just don’t get where you’re coming from on this.

robroy:

reeferman65:

Do you REALLY believe that?
I admittedlly and personally would not recommend starting this job to anybody today, and if ever I’m asked about it, I try and give an accurate balanced account of it… including the (few) good points about it.
But as for keeping newcomers away from the industry why would I want to? :neutral_face: …or why would any driver want to tbh?
I just don’t get where you’re coming from on this.

To a degree i do believe this, some drivers believe if there is a driver shortage pay and conditions will become better for them. Whenever a potential new driver posts on here he gets a good mixture of responses… some drivers being helpful which is how it should be but there is a fair amount of negativity posted also. I’m sure individuals are posting on their own experiences but i think there is alot unnecessary exaggeration also.

These are ball-park figures of roughly what I was on a year or so ago. I emphasise the word “roughly”. I was new to the job at the time, with experience building on each one.

Class 1 Monday to Friday tramping (with the occasional Saturday) used to get me about £650 per week gross. £550 per week-ish take-home. That includes the £100 per week night-out money that I’m going to add on, even though some say it’s controversial whether it should technically be bolted-onto your earnings. I got a similar amount for Sunday to Thursday tramping, but that job was a lot easier. Nationwide runs, long hours, and parking paid by the firm. Day men for the same firm would be £100 to £150 per week worse-off, given the lack of night-out money and fewer hours.

Class 1 Thursday to Monday day shifts used to get me about £550 per week gross, £450 per week take-home. Local runs and around 50 hours per week. Probably the best balance, as I enjoyed that job the most. Monday to Friday men got around £50 per week less without the weekend premium rates.

Class 1 and 2 shunting ■■■■■ collection and delivery work used to get me around £350 gross, or around £300 take-home per week. Very short distance delivering units and trailers to customers, but really enjoyable and chilled-out doing 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday. When not delivering I’d be driving a van or just a general dogsbody.

All in all, I’d say as a tramper you’d have a take-home of about £550 per week, and as a day man around £400 per week. All though this is completely dependent on the firm, the hours worked, the part of the country, the days, and the shifts. Some pay more, some less. The above figures are in my own personal experience, so I don’t want to provoke a willy-measuring contest about who earns what. Just to give a general idea to the OP.

Rottweiler has posted a very accurate figure of what can or has been achieved, albeit it maybe slightly higher nowdays, and depending on what part of the country you live/work in…like i say generally higher rates in the south than the north based on what i have read.