Wages: Salary V Hourly

No more roping & sheeting for me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: I’ve had enough and am going for the easy life :sunglasses:

I start a new job next Monday which sounds excellent (as far as work goes) and am wondering what the catch is, I have spoken to the other drivers and haven’t come across it as yet :confused:

I will be paid a salary each month whereas my previous job was weekly and hourly paid. Working out between the 2 (based on 60 hours) I will be approx £50 per week better off + bonus & nights out. :smiley:

I was wondering what the general personal feelings are of other trucknet members regarding salary V hourly. I worked for a place some years back on salary and was working all sorts of silly hours to get the job done - I soon left that.

hello dogmanbodie, i`m on salary now and its all rosy,… but i have worked for another company in the past(must be careful what i say here because he rang the gaffer last week!) who paid salary of 55hrs and expected me to work 65-70. i hasten to add that was 5 years ago and the conditions and hours seem to have got better(that should placate him :laughing: ). all you can do is give it a go, if there own drivers seem happy its normally a good sign isnt it. good luck anyway-jon

salaried jobs are a matter of give and take. The driver gives and the boss takes

hitch:
salaried jobs are a matter of give and take. The driver gives and the boss takes

Yup!!! gotta agree!!!

salaried is mad in this job!! unless its a 30 mile round trip job and knock!! :smiley:

I’ve never bothered with salary until a couple of years ago. Wincanton were offering 4 on 3 off shift rota, in Leeds, on salary.

It worked quiet well for me. 6.30 starts Sunday to Wednesday. 48 hours with double time for Sundays So my basic pay was 60 hours but normally I would only work 37. If we did any overtime on our days off they paid us T &½ I was happy enough with the deal it meant that on a five day week I would earn £500. and yet it was all based on a £6.50 flat rate.

On the other hand I’ve heard some horror stories. I once worked at a place where the very heavy haulage lads were on salary. On quiet days these lads would be sent home and would work the weekend instead. No change of rate because they were on salary.

Try the job see if you enjoy it then do the maths, see if it’s worth it.

A very good mate of mine works for an Italian firm who has a big depot at West Thurrock,they used to run a bit dodgy years ago,but now it’s all legal and he’s home every night and works one Sunday a month in the yard shunting trailers around.
He’s been on salary for almost two years now and on a good screw.
He usually does a 9 or 10 hour day.
The last time we spoke about money he said he was on £32,000 a year.
The money is guaranteed every month including holidays (4 weeks) or if he’s off sick.
I wish I could find something that attractive over here.

KW:
A very good mate of mine works for an Italian firm who has a big depot at West Thurrock,they used to run a bit dodgy years ago,but now it’s all legal and he’s home every night and works one Sunday a month in the yard shunting trailers around.
He’s been on salary for almost two years now and on a good screw.
He usually does a 9 or 10 hour day.
The last time we spoke about money he said he was on £32,000 a year.
The money is guaranteed every month including holidays (4 weeks) or if he’s off sick.
I wish I could find something that attractive over here.

Transmec per chance :question: :grimacing:

Sshhh!
Only downside is those crappy old EuroStars they have,but he did tell me last week that they should be having some FH’s sent up in a couple of months.

At the mo’ I think salaried would be better than hourly, if its a reasonable salary. The main reason being, next year we have the WTD coming in, those on salary are on a fixed wage which shouldn’t go down. Those who are hourly paid might get a pay rise, but will it match 60+ hours a week dropping to 42■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

KW:
Sshhh!
Only downside is those crappy old EuroStars they have,but he did tell me last week that they should be having some FH’s sent up in a couple of months.

Off you go jb100 :grimacing:

Rob K:

KW:
Sshhh!

still havnt been down they have a place in cleckheaton driving ransid scanias kw there is nothing wrong with eurostars anyway the italian lads are getting stralliss
still havnt seen one with a haz plate on yet rob
anyway its you thats out of work :wink: :smiley:
get yourself down there and get the SP ,then if its good i`ll join you :smiley:
jon

jon boy 100:

Rob K:

KW:
Sshhh!

still havnt been down they have a place in cleckheaton driving ransid scanias kw there is nothing wrong with eurostars anyway the italian lads are getting stralliss
still havnt seen one with a haz plate on yet rob
anyway its you thats out of work :wink: :smiley:
get yourself down there and get the SP ,then if its good i`ll join you :smiley:
jon

Might just give it a whirl actually. I’m off to see my mate who lives in Cleckie tomorrow so might be able to arrange a slight detour. :grimacing: Then again we might just go to the pub instead :grimacing:

get a detour in ,mate
tell them you know somedody who wants a job :smiley:
i go to italy myself on wednesday :laughing:
jon

You pulling for MTL then?

I think salary is ok, sometimes you can win big time with work that has quiet times (as long as its gauranteed) I mean, whats better £400 a week, or 50 hours at £8 an hour? Theyre the same thing, but if the salaried bloke does 35 hours one week for whatewver reason, he gets £400, the bloke on hours gets £280, on the other hand make it 60 hours, and the salaried geezer is on a looser. Thing is, how many hourly paid gigs do we know of that let you get as many hours as possible in? swings and rounadabouts really.

If I was still there and on a salery I wouldn’t do it for less than 2,500 quid a month. These jobs start out fine, then the company excersises it’s superiority and expects more each week for the same amount so the driver looses out. I have found this so many times.

Pat Hasler:
If I was still there and on a salery I wouldn’t do it for less than 2,500 quid a month. These jobs start out fine, then the company excersises it’s superiority and expects more each week for the same amount so the driver looses out. I have found this so many times.

Fully agree Pat :exclamation: :angry:

Thanks everyone I have taken note of it all :wink:

I start on Monday so I’ll give it a go and see how it goes. If they appear to be extracting the proverbial liquid I shall leave :slight_smile: