WAGES ETC

Just received a mail shot from a so-called freelance driver, offering his services at the bargain basement rates of:

(and I quote)

£125.00 per day (9 hours incl breaks) plus £7.50 for every HALF HOUR thereafter

£160.00 per night (9 hours incl breaks) plus £10.50 for every HALF HOUR thereafter

£35.00 per night out.

Jesus, after 37 years in this game, I’d sell my trucks tomorrow and start driving again
if I could get money like that. Does anyone pay similar??

Cheers

K

If they did, I wouldn’t think they’d be in business for long.

But they could certainly give me a job until they went bust :laughing:

i would have quite happly had 125 a day all hours plus 25 per night plus parking paid.

I run 9 tippers carrying aggregate and tarmac, when i’m busy on week ends or holiday cover I pay £75 cash. We usually start at 6am, we some times finish at 3pm, sometimes 5.30pm. But they still get £75. No one has complained so far about what i’m paying.

joswaj:
I run 9 tippers carrying aggregate and tarmac, when i’m busy on week ends or holiday cover I pay £75 cash. We usually start at 6am, we some times finish at 3pm, sometimes 5.30pm. But they still get £75. No one has complained so far about what i’m paying.

Do you find that your drivers tend to break or ‘bend’ the rules in order to get finished earlier as they are earning the same amount for whatever hours they do :question:

ROG , think what you have just posted mate
no one in his right mind would come on here and
post that he or she is allowing people to break the law
or am i the only one who is of sound mind here■■?
:open_mouth: :laughing:

brit pete:

Yeh you’re right - silly me :exclamation: :exclamation:

Still, he could TELL the drivers to keep within the rules but they might not :wink: :wink:

brit pete:

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

i know pete just rog being rog.

ROG:

joswaj:

Do you find that your drivers tend to break or ‘bend’ the rules in order to get finished earlier as they are earning the same amount for whatever hours they do :question:

They probably do, would you? Sorry I take that back, this is one of those things that i’m really uncomfortable with. I prefer to be paid by the hour, as most folk do, problem being the ■■■■ gets ripped. Other side of the coin, the employer does the ripping.

You want to keep it under your hat that you pay some of your drivers cash. :exclamation:

jessicas dad:
i would have quite happly had 125 a day all hours plus 25 per night plus parking paid.

ok jd here we go…merc n magnum for sale as of now…they can even have my contract of work through till 2011…i’ll have some of this :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

£125.00 per day :unamused:

I wouldn’t take a cut to that :slight_smile:

i know of a driver who gets cash in the hand of a small haulier 120 to a150 £ for a ten to twelve hour shift
right thats me done im off to the pub to spend me money

i worked out my average wage is about 4 quid an hour i dont get n/out money although im out 4 nites minimum every week & go like zb, if i could get them wages my wagon would be mt in an hour !

gorby1:
i worked out my average wage is about 4 quid an hour i dont get n/out money although im out 4 nites minimum every week & go like zb, if i could get them wages my wagon would be mt in an hour !

That wagon should be empty anyway,your employer is tacking the mick.

i would but if i leave the job centre wont give me any benifits becouse iv left a job of my own accord? when i went for the interview i was told 600 a week i pay my own tax & n.i,600 thats never materalised … the most iv ever had is 399 , i do 67 hours a wee on average. :confused:

gorby1:
i would but if i leave the job centre wont give me any benifits becouse iv left a job of my own accord? when i went for the interview i was told 600 a week i pay my own tax & n.i,600 thats never materalised … the most iv ever had is 399 , i do 67 hours a wee on average. :confused:

Any clues to the name of this haulier so no one else gets conned into working for them

Tonyb

i’m paid by the day, it dosn’t matter what time of day or night i start or finish, i get the same rate.
i know where i stand, if the job should take 10 hours, then that’s how long it will take.
But most drivers on hourly rate will take 15 hours to do a 10 hour job.
most of the time i get 12 hours or more off per night, but that’s because i work it that way.
hourly rates should be scrapped, it gives an insentive for drivers to work longer hours than they would do normally. They may be legal, but they can cost the company a fortune, and it is very difficult to weed out the shirkers from the workers.

A place i collect from on a regular basis can guarantee one thing, 5 trucks of his will turn up at the yard at just after 4.30pm.
The boss said to me, “i can’t understand it, He only collected in dudley”.
“You obviously pay him by the hour” i replied. :unamused: …i’d been waiting for 4 hours.

the guy is asking for about 14 quid an hour days…17.50 nights…he pays his own tax…ni…holiday pay etc?
what do people pay for agency drivers??to the agency?

limeyphil:
i’m paid by the day, it dosn’t matter what time of day or night i start or finish, i get the same rate.
i know where i stand, if the job should take 10 hours, then that’s how long it will take.
But most drivers on hourly rate will take 15 hours to do a 10 hour job.
most of the time i get 12 hours or more off per night, but that’s because i work it that way.
hourly rates should be scrapped, it gives an insentive for drivers to work longer hours than they would do normally. They may be legal, but they can cost the company a fortune, and it is very difficult to weed out the shirkers from the workers.

A place i collect from on a regular basis can guarantee one thing, 5 trucks of his will turn up at the yard at just after 4.30pm.
The boss said to me, “i can’t understand it, He only collected in dudley”.
“You obviously pay him by the hour” i replied. :unamused: …i’d been waiting for 4 hours.

the guys on job and finish never break the rules to get home quicker do they■■?
i work for an agency and im paid by the hour…i stick rigidly to speed limits…and breaks…i have NO need to rush.
i had a quiet word from the union rep at one place i worked for…about not rushing and cutting the job up… :open_mouth: …then
i was asked several times by the companies salaried drivers if the truck i was feuling up was a 89 or 90 truck(meaning if the speed limiter was set to 89 or 90kph)if i said 89 they would walk up the yard looking for a truck that would be 1 kph faster!!
the new fleet has been limited to 83kph…you should have heard the moans…not from me though,. :smiley: