WAGES ETC

fair play to him if he gets payed a proper wage ,
do you not think we are worth proper money ,i mean shelf stackers get payed more an hour than we do ?

my dad get
£11.50 p/h days
£15.oo p/h nights
£15.00 p/h saturday
£17.00 p/h sunday
he pays his own tax and ins

Just something to bear in mind guys when using self employed drivers, is the tax man.

We had a tax investigation last year, we had used one self employed driver who had also done some building work for us. It was a very lenghty process and took up a lot of time. I think if he hadn’t done the other work they would have tried claiming the tax and paye.

Poblem is the tax man is a complete arse and has never worked in industry GB.

Fortunatly we run 20 trucks now and have spare drivers to cover holidays/sickness. We will not use anybody self employed, they are all treated as PAYE.

BEWARE!!!

limeyphil:
i’m paid by the day, it dosn’t matter what time of day or night i start or finish, i get the same rate.
i know where i stand, if the job should take 10 hours, then that’s how long it will take.
But most drivers on hourly rate will take 15 hours to do a 10 hour job.
most of the time i get 12 hours or more off per night, but that’s because i work it that way.
hourly rates should be scrapped, it gives an insentive for drivers to work longer hours than they would do normally. They may be legal, but they can cost the company a fortune, and it is very difficult to weed out the shirkers from the workers

Completely agree. That’s why our 370 drivers are all weekly paid…

and what happens when the 10 hrs per shift that you are salaried for turn into 15’s?

pete-b:
and what happens when the 10 hrs per shift that you are salaried for turn into 15’s?

That would depend on the terms of the contract.

Is the salary for X amount of hours?
Do extra hours get paid as extra?
At what rate?
Do extra hours get time paid back?
Does it say in the contract that the amount of hours between X and X are classed as the salary?

I’ll bet there are more questions but they should all be answered & written in the contract of employment so that the structure is clear to both parties

ROG:

pete-b:

That would depend on the terms of the contract.

Is the salary for X amount of hours?
Do extra hours get paid as extra?
At what rate?
Do extra hours get time paid back?
Does it say in the contract that the amount of hours between X and X are classed as the salary?

I’ll bet there are more questions but they should all be answered & written in the contract of employment so that the structure is clear to both parties

In my experience, the salary was x amount based on a 50 hr week. I never ever worked a 50 hr week. 60-65 hrs being the norm, when I approached the guy about wages I was given the old swings and roundabouts bull ■■■■, I only ever saw the roundabouts, he then kindly offered me some time off in lieu, a whole 5 hrs, ■■■■ that, the only people who get my time for free are my family. Yes, there are people who screw every hour out of the job when they are paid by the hour, but, equally, there are some employers who screw over their employees, as for banning hourly paid work, well, says it all!

joswaj:
I run 9 tippers carrying aggregate and tarmac, when i’m busy on week ends or holiday cover I pay £75 cash. We usually start at 6am, we some times finish at 3pm, sometimes 5.30pm. But they still get £75. No one has complained so far about what i’m paying.

I’ll drive for 70! :smiley:

hoty2008:
Just something to bear in mind guys when using self employed drivers, is the tax man.

We had a tax investigation last year, we had used one self employed driver who had also done some building work for us. It was a very lenghty process and took up a lot of time. I think if he hadn’t done the other work they would have tried claiming the tax and paye.

Poblem is the tax man is a complete arse and has never worked in industry GB

Fortunatly we run 20 t

rucks now and have spare drivers to cover holidays/sickness. We will not use anybody self employed, they are all treated as PAYE.

BEWARE!!!

biggest load of tosh ive heard yet as a freelance drive i work through my own limited company of which im an employee and director prefectly within the tax rules an keeps the tax man very happy.

oh rog with in abusiness irs very easy to loose a couple hundred quid in weekend i wont elaborate but it can be done and is very easy if your running a haulage contractors.

my charges are 130 per shift be it 8 hrs or 15 hrs my customers are very happy why the guy in the op was charging for nights out is beyond me an accountant will cllaim subsistance at the end of the tax year which will reduce the freelancers tax bill

hoty2008:

Poblem is the tax man is a complete arse and has never worked in industry GB.

Fortunatly we run 20 trucks now and have spare drivers to cover holidays/sickness. We will not use anybody self employed, they are all treated as PAYE.

BEWARE!!!

Not true, Im S/E and Im busy, BUT, I`ve got the correct paperwork to back up my “TAX” position.

If you don`t request the correct info, then your going to fall prey to the cowboys, which are getting fewer by the day. The tax man has a job to do, and is a jobsworth if he smells a rat.

Your builder geezer / driver is a genuine S/E person, there are loads of us about, the tax man would go after us first, its when they cannot find “John Wayne”, that they come back to you.

Makesure that their business card + invoice has their HOME address on it, and check it against the electoral register.

They obviously found something in your “payroll” department that did`nt add up, you only need to give a stuttering answer or just come across as “notsure” and they set their teeth into you.

Been there / done that, in a previous job, got stitched up because of one persons clever comment.

knowall:
Just received a mail shot from a so-called freelance driver, offering his services at the bargain basement rates of:

(and I quote)

£125.00 per day (9 hours incl breaks) plus £7.50 for every HALF HOUR thereafter

£160.00 per night (9 hours incl breaks) plus £10.50 for every HALF HOUR thereafter

£35.00 per night out.

Jesus, after 37 years in this game, I’d sell my trucks tomorrow and start driving again
if I could get money like that. Does anyone pay similar??

Cheers

K

TBF, these figures are not that far off :open_mouth:

The night out rate is a bit too high / cheeky, but, if you actually see what agencies charge, you will be paying these type of prices, give or take a bob or two.

And, thats one of the reasons I stopped running trucks, I can make more dosh, without the hassle.

I’m about to do my last 2 weeks as a Ltd co./freelance driver for my best paying customer as I now have my own motor again and they’re about to make 1 of the 3 drivers at Ipswich redundant. End of an era, start of a new one.

Anyway, as it no longer matters in terms of confidentiality and for those that are interested heres what I charge/charged. :open_mouth:

Basic 10 hrs £150

O/T £15 P/H (all part hours rounded up to the next full hour)

N/O £25

Sat 8hrs £150

Sat O/T £25 P/H (Rounded up)

Sun 8hrs £200

Sun O/T £25 P/H (Rounded up)

All above figures X-vat.

Happy days. :grimacing:

I am also a freelance driver.
I have the paperwork from an ivestigation by the tax man that says I am working legally as such.

The rates I charge are per hour with an 8 hour minimum,time and half after that.All hours between 18.00 and 06.00 are classed as night rate which is time and half, as are Saturdays Sundays being double

If you work out my hours to the same as initially quoted I charge a little less but in the same region.

I also charge £35.00 for a night out as being self employed I’m not entitled to claim susistance so I pay full tax and N.I on the amount I charge, after these deductions the money works out similar to normal nightout money.

When I employed a driver I would never expect him to do a night out without getting paid for it and I would never expect him (or her) to pay out of their own pocket either for parking either.

As an employee if I didn’t get paid for a night out I wouldn’t do it in fact I wouldn’t work for the company in the first place , if they are too tight to pay for parking and night out money what else wont they pay for? servicing? insurance?new brake linnings that have got at least another 200 miles on 'em?

I dont break any laws when I work (nor did I when I ran my own motor) but I dont hang it out either, at the end of the day if I take 15 hours top do a 10 hour job then that customer wont ring me again when they want another driver.

I think the fact that only one of my customers has come through advertising (a flyer I posted) and the rest has been word of mouth speaks for itself and every customer I have has given me repeat business.

hoty2008:
We will not use anybody self employed, they are all treated as PAYE.

BEWARE!!!

Not true if the self employed driver is running a properly set up company with terms & conditions,bank account,advertising etc.etc.
Then they are legitimally self employed I have the paperwork from my tax office to prove it

joswaj:
I run 9 tippers carrying aggregate and tarmac, when i’m busy on week ends or holiday cover I pay £75 cash. We usually start at 6am, we some times finish at 3pm, sometimes 5.30pm. But they still get £75. No one has complained so far about what i’m paying.

So your drivers are getting £75 after they have paid their tax and N.I, by my reckoning (and I’m no accountant so I might not be exact with my figures) that’s about £115 - 120 with your employers contributions.

So not that far off the £125 p/d figure that has been mentioned then.

:slight_smile:

Infact with those figures it would work out cheaper to employ the freelance driver as you wouldn’t have to pay out for 4 weeks holiday per year or sick pay or uniform

But sadly that would mean that the driver would no longer be self employed under the tax laws if you paid for their services full time.

That tax man he’s so wicked :cry: