Wages, Are they still going down?

As i am on holiday this week and bored out of my head. I have been looking on the job centre website for something to do and i have notice that most agencies pay is getting worse. When i did some casual work about 3 years ago people were paying £10.00 per hour min days and £12.00 for nights. But todays pay seem bad some wages start at £7.50 per hour :open_mouth: :open_mouth: to £9.75 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: per hour and as i said in a older post i got offered £7.00 per hour to do containners for a bury st edmunds firm back in the spring but i held out and got a class 2 job for £8.53 per hour which is not great but it pays the bills. And with jan just round it can only get worse?

I get paid £10ph Monday-Friday, £14ph Saturdays and £15ph Sundays…but thats regardless of what hours I work, day or night shifts.

Adam_Mc:
I get paid £10ph Monday-Friday, £14ph Saturdays and £15ph Sundays…but thats regardless of what hours I work, day or night shifts.

Well thats about right and how they should be but on the J C website there r some bad paying agencies and i have notice that agencies r starting to pay salary pay now . R u doing work for sainsburys in bassingstoke for that sort of money ?

Are wages going down/ read this on the jobcentre website today.

Vacancy from
Job No:IMM/8580
Wage£6.50 PER HOUR FOR THE FIRST 40 HOURS.
Hours40 HOURS+, OVER 6 DAYS.
LocationIMMINGHAM, SOUTH HUMBERSIDE DN40
DurationPermanent
Date posted16 December 2009
Pension detailsNo details held
Description
Must be age 21+ for insurance purposes. Must have a LGV class one licence. Container experience preferred. possibly some trailer work. Must be prepared to have nights out. This Local employment partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus for statistical purposes only. See www.dwp.gov.uk for more information.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by telephoning 0148 2891111 ext 0 and asking for Andrew Lunn.
Employer
A R Lunn

Big ■■■■:

Adam_Mc:

Well thats about right and how they should be but on the J C website there r some bad paying agencies and i have notice that agencies r starting to pay salary pay now . R u doing work for sainsburys in bassingstoke for that sort of money ?

Nope…that pay is for Keystone next door. I’m waiting for an assessment at Sainsbury’s, hopefully just after Christmas. Depending on what company I work for the wages are slightly different…I’ve been told Sainsbury’s is more, but other companies such as Vitacress are £9ph. Problem is work isn’t as plentyful as I’d like.

Blunder Man:
Are wages going down/ read this on the jobcentre website today.

Vacancy from
Job No:IMM/8580
Wage£6.50 PER HOUR FOR THE FIRST 40 HOURS.
Hours40 HOURS+, OVER 6 DAYS.
LocationIMMINGHAM, SOUTH HUMBERSIDE DN40
DurationPermanent
Date posted16 December 2009
Pension detailsNo details held
Description
Must be age 21+ for insurance purposes. Must have a LGV class one licence. Container experience preferred. possibly some trailer work. Must be prepared to have nights out. This Local employment partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus for statistical purposes only. See dwp.gov.uk for more information.
How to apply

You can apply for this job by telephoning 0148 2891111 ext 0 and asking for Andrew Lunn.
Employer
A R Lunn

40*6.50= £260 pw that is so bad and makes me so :angry: :angry: because i was on £290 pw back in 1992 wen i 1st past my hgv class one and that was for a 50 hour week trucking upto fleetwood for p&o

Adam_Mc:

Big ■■■■:

Adam_Mc:

Nope…that pay is for Keystone next door. I’m waiting for an assessment at Sainsbury’s, hopefully just after Christmas. Depending on what company I work for the wages are slightly different…I’ve been told Sainsbury’s is more, but other companies such as Vitacress are £9ph. Problem is work isn’t as plentyful as I’d like.

Hi Adam you might have an easier job next door at sainsburys but you wont get any more money working on the agency according to the guys i know who work there regular. They have dropped the rates and the hours in there over the last year so and work aint plentiful in there either

colin.f.whitetrans:

Adam_Mc:

Big ■■■■:

Adam_Mc:

Hi Adam you might have an easier job next door at sainsburys but you wont get any more money working on the agency according to the guys i know who work there regular. They have dropped the rates and the hours in there over the last year so and work aint plentiful in there either

I’ve heard the opposite…better pay and often working 12 hour shifts. But I’m not naive…I’ll just get assessed in there and judge for myself. Hopefully get myself assessed at DHL/Boots and Gist/M&S at roughly the same time…atleast its more companies on the cards and it should give me more work.

Yeah the more places you can work the more chance you have to keep busy. I agree with what you are saying about finding out for yourself as thats excatly what i would do aswell. ROLL ON 2010 :smiley:

My sons girlfriend has got a job in a local engineering company answering the phone and filing etc, pay is £8.79 per hour but staff paid with 5 weeks hols (plus stats) a year and 6 weeks full pay if your on the sick per year - at the same time they have a middle aged guy driving their 3.5 ton Merc Sprinter on min wage and only gets paid the hours he works - no sick pay apart from statutory and only 4 weeks hols.

Says it all doesn’t it?

colin.f.whitetrans:
Yeah the more places you can work the more chance you have to keep busy. I agree with what you are saying about finding out for yourself as thats excatly what i would do aswell. ROLL ON 2010 :smiley:

So who is it you work for then?..I guess you’re at Sainsbury’s often? My idea is just to get into as many places as I can and find the best one and try to only work there :stuck_out_tongue: But thats the thing, you’ve gotta get into places and find out for yourself what things are really like instead of just relying on hearsay…My idea of a good company might not be shared by another driver.

Adam_Mc:

colin.f.whitetrans:

So who is it you work for then?..I guess you’re at Sainsbury’s often? My idea is just to get into as many places as I can and find the best one and try to only work there :stuck_out_tongue: But thats the thing, you’ve gotta get into places and find out for yourself what things are really like instead of just relying on hearsay…My idea of a good company might not be shared by another driver.

Been working agency in north london area for the last 4 and half years on a variety of jobs. Some good some dire ans some like sainsburys that are very easy once you get your foot in. The only place that seems to hold the driver to ramson is DEPRESCOS with their six hour rule of payment. Anybody on here will tell you its a very unfair set up :confused:

Personally i dont know about wages going down

Job Title MULTI DROP DRIVER CGI/34430

LocationBAR HILL, CAMBRIDGE, CAMBS
Hours48 HOURS, MONDAY TO FRIDAY 7AM - 5.30PM
Wage £675 PER WEEK
Work PatternDays
EmployerAbby Couriers
PensionNo details held

DurationPERMANENT ONLY

I WILL HAVE A BIT OF THAT!!

Agency im on pays £8p/h weather that be days nights or weekends!! :frowning:

What you see at the Jobcentre and what is actually available are two different things.

I used to check their website regularly and found that many adverts are actually “non jobs” ie they are a ruse to get you to register with the agency. On one occasion, of 19 jobs advertised eleven of them were the same agency advertising the same details in different areas.

I registered with an agency in January 2006 and still haven’t had any work from them.

They can claim that they have lots of drivers on their books, which may be true but are not obliged to use them.

DWP claim that they cannot refuse to accept adverts from agencies even though they do not lead to employment. It just helps statistics, ie when those eleven vacancies are removed that, according DWP figures, is eleven vacancies filled. In reality it is nothing of the sort.

I do two days a week with an employer 25 miles away at present.

not to brag or anything but I recieved a christmas card through the post today…from my agency and it contained within it…a £10 cheque with a note saying “cheers for the hard work, buy yourself a drink…” :laughing:

As a reply to the topic mine are by £2,500 per year!!! nice pay cut just announced just before xmas aswell what a great company i work for :confused:

Agency offered me some work for Boxing Day, 7am start, £11.90 an hour :confused:

mine are still down.in january 2009 we had to take a 10 per cent pay cut,which is supposed to last for 1 year.wait and see if we get it back in january!.its made a huge difference to us.lost around £3500-4000 this year.

tonka236:
Personally i dont know about wages going down

Job Title MULTI DROP DRIVER CGI/34430

LocationBAR HILL, CAMBRIDGE, CAMBS
Hours48 HOURS, MONDAY TO FRIDAY 7AM - 5.30PM
Wage £675 PER WEEK
Work PatternDays
EmployerAbby Couriers
PensionNo details held

DurationPERMANENT ONLY

I WILL HAVE A BIT OF THAT!!

Agency im on pays £8p/h weather that be days nights or weekends!! :frowning:

What they don’t tell you is you’re expected to be self-employed doing that. I’ve been a courier on two wheels and four and never been offered PAYE employement, the courier industry don’t work like that. I open to correction on that particular job, but I’d put my money on that being the case here too.

So take the fuel / insurance (sky high for couriers if declared correctly) / tax and everything else out and it’ll be easily half that. You’ll never finish bang on 5.30pm on a Friday either :wink:

Looking at it again, would you 'ave a bit of that for around £6.40 ph? @ 52.5h pw (never mind the breakdowns, time spent booking keeping and spannering the motor - starting booking that time and it’s below minimum wage)

it was only a sarcastic ‘‘ill have a bit of that’’
If i remember correctly from the quick glance i gave the advert, you supply the van, fuel, (as you pointed out) insurance on the vehicle and public and goods as well.

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole if im honest!