Wag and Drag

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of a wag and drag set up over an artic?

To fully unload takes more time as you have to decouple a trailer (unless it’s curtain sider)

Are they easier to manoeuvre? (never driven one) Can they take more pallets? Just can’t see the point in them.

there’s more floor length on a drawbar than the standard 13.5 mtr artic, plus if you have swap bodies you can dump the trailer and do twice as many rigid only deliveries without returning to base. in my case i can get 4 x 3tonne dumpers or 2 x 9tonne dumpers plus a backhoe on a drawbar as opposed to only 3 dumpers or 1 dumper and a backhoe on an artic.
in cerain applications a drawbar is way more flexible in use than an artic.
the downside is, that if the work takes a dump you cant just swap the thing onto other work like you can with a tractor unit.

tonyj105:
there’s more floor length on a drawbar than the standard 13.5 mtr artic, plus if you have swap bodies you can dump the trailer and do twice as many rigid only deliveries without returning to base. in my case i can get 4 x 3tonne dumpers or 2 x 9tonne dumpers plus a backhoe on a drawbar as opposed to only 3 dumpers or 1 dumper and a backhoe on an artic.
in cerain applications a drawbar is way more flexible in use than an artic.
the downside is, that if the work takes a dump you cant just swap the thing onto other work like you can with a tractor unit.

well you can if you have the right type of body /chassis applications.
a flatbed can have twist locks even a drop box system can have twisties … the whole reason on drop box system is not just to be able to drop and swap boxies but the ability to change the types of body ie flat with Hi Ab , tanker ,fridge dry freight and then you get your transporter, the list is really endless

and you just point the front at a corner and more or less forget about trailer cut in.

tonyj105:
and you just point the front at a corner and more or less forget about trailer cut in.

depends on the type of drag mind cause you try that with a car transporter yes short prime mover long drag :wink:

Ched:
To fully unload takes more time as you have to decouple a trailer (unless it’s curtain sider)

Not necessarily,

We had some with doors on both ends of the drag and a drawbridge to to go between the two.

redboxer850:

Ched:

Not necessarily,

We had some with doors on both ends of the drag and a drawbridge to to go between the two.

Walkers crisps have that set up, close couple too just to get the max length.

nick2008:
Walkers crisps have that set up,

“Had”,

They have got rid of them now.

redboxer850:

nick2008:
Walkers crisps have that set up,

“Had”,

They have got rid of them now.

I loved them Ivecos :open_mouth:

Many advantages ,you can go to rigid only job and if you get in you don’t have to drop the trailer ,if you take a 6 wheeler load you do 13 mpg instead of 7 ,you can have a decent size crane on the back end ,you can get in to some job s where an artic can’t ,easier to reverse .

Ched:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of a wag and drag set up over an artic?

Are they easier to manoeuvre? (never driven one) Can they take more pallets? Just can’t see the point in them.

To give an example of load difference, we can carry 44 bales of straw on an artic and 60 on a lorry drag.

I do farm deliveries with W&D plus moffett. Can get into places where an artic has no chance, and has been said, as a last resort, can drop the trailer and do the load in 2 trips.

as i have previously mentioned on other threads about wagon and drags, the A frame drag is the best, and yes you could run the rear wheels of the prime mover close to the kerb around a roundabout and the drag would follow exactly but god help if you went down the wrong road, and it was a dead end !!! i found it was ok if you had an airfield at the bottom to swing around in :smiley:

I drive a mid lift sometimes with the hitch at the very back its not so bad with the normal trailer but we have a trailer that’s 7 metres with a long neck which takes it over 19 metres and with being a midlift lorry and not a rear lift it s seriously embarrassing when you have no option but to over shoot small round about s and junctions and have a reverse shunt.

GBD:
as i have previously mentioned on other threads about wagon and drags, the A frame drag is the best, and yes you could run the rear wheels of the prime mover close to the kerb around a roundabout and the drag would follow exactly but god help if you went down the wrong road, and it was a dead end !!! i found it was ok if you had an airfield at the bottom to swing around in :smiley:

Dont need an airfield to turn around
Sorry it has been posted before

Dan Punchard:
I drive a mid lift sometimes with the hitch at the very back its not so bad with the normal trailer but we have a trailer that’s 7 metres with a long neck which takes it over 19 metres and with being a midlift lorry and not a rear lift it s seriously embarrassing when you have no option but to over shoot small round about s and junctions and have a reverse shunt.

Isnt that illegal?

GBD:

They can be reversed with practice.Not as simple as an artic but it can be done.Even a blind side reverse is possible on a good day!

albion1971:

GBD:

They can be reversed with practice.Not as simple as an artic but it can be done.Even a blind side reverse is possible on a good day!

I got bollocksed today on a blind side reverse with a fixed drawbar out of a farm, they come round real sharp on themselves in the final parts of the turn, im unsure of the answer when your trying to reverse with a 28ft rigid out of a narrow entrance allowing little front of lorry movement.

Yep ,but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a hay and straw man that will be longer.

Dan Punchard:
Yep ,but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a hay and straw man that will be longer.

Vosa have had a real clamp down on them I think, even using flip over support racks they have frightened the hauliers and deemed them illegal which they are I suppose. My Favourites are the extending drawbar drags, should never meet cu regs really.