Wag and Drag

So long as it’s divisible loads then the A frame type,as opposed to close coupled,has the advantage over everything else in both payload space and axle weight tolerance at maximum gross weights.

In Spain they pulled the pick up and trailer up and tape measured it ,if he had the 16 ft trailer it would have needed marker boards ,but not in the uk .

They can be reversed with practice.Not as simple as an artic but it can be done.Even a blind side reverse is possible on a good day!
[/quote]
by Albion
They are a lot easier to reverse than a artic ,2 reasons are there is no long neck trailer to worry about or tractor unit rear to hit anything .

puntabrava:

Dan Punchard:
I drive a mid lift sometimes with the hitch at the very back its not so bad with the normal trailer but we have a trailer that’s 7 metres with a long neck which takes it over 19 metres and with being a midlift lorry and not a rear lift it s seriously embarrassing when you have no option but to over shoot small round about s and junctions and have a reverse shunt.

Isnt that illegal?

Yes, I would say so. 18.75m is the legal limit.

Correct

Dan Punchard:
They can be reversed with practice.Not as simple as an artic but it can be done.Even a blind side reverse is possible on a good day!

by Albion
They are a lot easier to reverse than a artic ,2 reasons are there is no long neck trailer to worry about or tractor unit rear to hit anything .
[/quote]
I agree Dan much easier than an artic to back, driven many.

Dan Punchard:

by Albion
[/quote]
I wrote the bottom bit ,don’t know how it ended up side down.

Dan Punchard:
Correct

:blush: Sorry, I was in self righteous mode :slight_smile:

Dieseldog66:

Dan Punchard:

by Albion

I agree Dan much easier than an artic to back, driven many.
[/quote]
I’m guessing that you’re referring to close coupled drawbars in that case not A frame ones.In the case of the latter they require more reversing skills than artics or close coupled drawbars.

redboxer850:

Ched:
We had some with doors on both ends of the drag and a drawbridge to to go between the two.

we had them at kelloggs over twenty years ago! :laughing: very handy! :sunglasses: top job then too, old BRS! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Dan Punchard:

Dan Punchard:

by Albion

I wrote the bottom bit ,don’t know how it ended up side down.
[/quote]
If you care to look back to my comment I was referring to an A frame drawbar.
Now are you telling me it is easier to reverse than an artic because it took me an awful lot more practice on that than an artic.
Please give me a proper explanation how you think it is easier because you must be the only driver I have ever known to think that■■?

Why won’t people read things properly before spouting rubbish?

Yes your correct I did miss read it as I thought that we were discussing the common drag ,how Ever i have driven both ,the hard one being a very short a frame with narrow width trailer ,there’s a chap down the road with turntable tipper & trailer he wouldn’t have a artic ,the longer the a frame the easier it is .as for spouting rubbish I’ve read some of your other post s lol .

Dan Punchard:
Yes your correct I did miss read it as I thought that we were discussing the common drag ,how Ever i have driven both ,the hard one being a very short a frame with narrow width trailer ,there’s a chap down the road with turntable tipper & trailer he wouldn’t have a artic ,the longer the a frame the easier it is .as for spouting rubbish I’ve read some of your other post s lol .

Yeah Yeah… :smiley: …I was actually referring to carryfast for spouting!

when i said they were hard turning down a dead end road it was as a joke, perhaps i should add i was reversing these underneath the drag demounts in crappy little industrial sites where there was,nt enough room to swing a cat let alone a drag or artic. and your average straw and hay wagon maybe awkward but try putting the drag under the demount with the prime mover box on, thats skill, i dont care who you are.

GBD:
when i said they were hard turning down a dead end road it was as a joke, perhaps i should add i was reversing these underneath the drag demounts in crappy little industrial sites where there was,nt enough room to swing a cat let alone a drag or artic. and your average straw and hay wagon maybe awkward but try putting the drag under the demount with the prime mover box on, thats skill, i dont care who you are.

Hats off to you, I used to do straw with an a couple of different a frame outfits and after a year (on and off along with other long bar drags and artics) I was just getting used to reversing them empty, as long as there was a bit of room :wink:

Don’t forget though that hay and straw loads are often far wider than a box body and what I found difficult then was the fact that you couldn’t see that front turntable axle at all (either by mirrors or hanging out the window!) so you just couldn’t catch and correct until it was well out of shape!

When I first passed my test I blagged my way on to the Kellogg’s job on Trafford park and was on draw bar demountables, used to crap myself every time I had to do a reverse but after a few months I could put one anywhere, we ran a mixture of turntable axle and fixed axle trailers and with the turntable it was always easier to drop the trailer, tip the box on the unit, hook the trailer back up, demount boxes and pull the trailer under the box you have just tipped and then empty the full box with the unit and hitch trailer back up again with both boxes empty, lot of messing but easier than trying to reverse in a tight rdc yard.
12 month after driving draw bars my boss put me on a artic and I had to learn all over again , me personally I think the artic is harder to drive than the fixed wheeled drawbar but the turn table trailer on a drawbar is harder to reverse

puntabrava:

Ched:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the point of a wag and drag set up over an artic?

To fully unload takes more time as you have to decouple a trailer (unless it’s curtain sider)

Are they easier to manoeuvre? (never driven one) Can they take more pallets? Just can’t see the point in them.

To give an example of load difference, we can carry 44 bales of straw on an artic and 60 on a lorry drag.

I never knew that… must be why all those trucks thundering up and down the A303 lately are wagon and dragons