VOSA

I’ve seen them out and about a few times in the local area, Bingham, Grantham and Sleaford. They stand there waiting to pull someone in.

Many will already know I drive for Turners/Browns, whenever I go past the check points and they are there, I always try to make eye contact as I get close incase he wants me to pull in, but they won’t make eye contact, in fact some even turn their back to you.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have never been pulled by police or the VOSA while working, so what do they do to get you to pull in and what do they do when you do pull in?

Do you think it’s possible to go through your entire career as a driver and not get pulled and is it purely down to who I drive for that I’m not getting a pull?

I believe it works on a traffic light type system (correct me if I’m wrong). Companies with a ‘green’ light probably won’t get pulled but ones not green will not be so lucky.

Of course, that’s just what I’ve been told.

NewLad:
Do you think it’s possible to go through your entire career as a driver and not get pulled and is it purely down to who I drive for that I’m not getting a pull?

VOSA use a method called “Operators’ Compliance Risk Score” (OCRS) whereby all operators have one of four colour codes assigned to them, red, amber, green or grey.

Grey means they have had no previous encounters with you, green means you are a good boy and red means you are a bad boy. Amber is in between.

If you are “green” then you are far less likely to be stopped and checked than if you are amber or red.

If you are stopped, they normally do tacho checks, mechanical inspection, axle weights, HMRC might be there looking for red diesel, BA might check you aren’t signing on etc.

Everyone also forgets they do have eyes. If you driving a bag of bolts, or got light out, then you could well be pulled regardless of your colour on the OCRS.

F-reds

Harry Monk:

NewLad:

VOSA use a method called “Operators’ Compliance Risk Score” (OCRS) whereby all operators have one of four colour codes assigned to them, red, amber, green or grey.

Grey means they have had no previous encounters with you, green means you are a good boy and red means you are a bad boy. Amber is in between.

If you are “green” then you are far less likely to be stopped and checked than if you are amber or red.

If you are stopped, they normally do tacho checks, mechanical inspection, axle weights, HMRC might be there looking for red diesel, BA might check you aren’t signing on etc.

pretty much says it all harry, in years gone by u had telecoms checking ur cb licence :wink: :wink:
There only doing a job as its been mentioned in another thread .

Despite all the moaning that goes on and the worries about blown bulbs or legs not wound up most drivers never get stopped. As for what happens- they pull you in, put you over the axle weigher, then park you up, take your documents and digicard and wander off to download it. Sometimes Willie Wheeltapper will come for a look, but if you’re in a tidy lorry often not. If they are in a particularly enthusiastic mood they’ll download the head and last year for the first time they went under mine to check tacho seals and for evidence of magnet use. Then generally you are on your way. Generally they are very reasonable, at any one time I have a few infringements as is often case when you catch lots of ferries but they normally leave me be. All they want to check is that you aren’t hammering it and are getting adequate rest. They’ve never bothered me about a few minutes here and there. The only way most will get pulled is if you’re driving a foreign registered truck

Also depends on the “station” you are pulled into. I’ve only been pulled once and was taken into a lay by in Hemel Hempstead just off J7 M1, they only had a box van with a laptop that barely worked, and their mechanic did not want to get dirty. He hardly even glanced at the wagon after he saw it had been MOT 'd a month ago. So just a tachograph check and “on your way drive”.

F-reds

They also do a lot of checks at ‘big’ events & busy venues - horse races, football matches, festivals, coastal coach parks in summer etc. They check PCV’s same as LGV’s i.e mechanical condition, Drivers’ Hours, overloading (number of passengers carried) - especially concentrate on unlicensed (O licence) minibuses, driver licence & Driver CPC status. Minibuses may also not have the reqd. tachograph fitted or driving without card or chart…captive audience, easy pickings. They also check ‘part-time’ drivers’ other work records for RTD purposes - and they will follow up any gaps or unaccounted for Working Time.

I’ve been pulled 3 times. All 3 times going out of Eurotunnel, the mechanic comes out does a mini mot and then have your digi card checked. I never got fined for anything but I had my truck impounded once for a dodgy prop shaft.

switchlogic:
Despite all the moaning that goes on and the worries about blown bulbs or legs not wound up most drivers never get stopped. As for what happens- they pull you in, put you over the axle weigher, then park you up, take your documents and digicard and wander off to download it. Sometimes Willie Wheeltapper will come for a look, but if you’re in a tidy lorry often not. If they are in a particularly enthusiastic mood they’ll download the head and last year for the first time they went under mine to check tacho seals and for evidence of magnet use. Then generally you are on your way. Generally they are very reasonable, at any one time I have a few infringements as is often case when you catch lots of ferries but they normally leave me be. All they want to check is that you aren’t hammering it and are getting adequate rest. They’ve never bothered me about a few minutes here and there. The only way most will get pulled is if you’re driving a foreign registered truck

I know you do Euro land Luke, do they give you any leeway with those minor infringements or is it a get the cheque book out.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about!!! :unamused:

Not sure if it’s a rumour but the driving laws etc are there to help us!

In my 34yrs on the road I can only recall being stopped by the ministry about five times and vosa just once.
Over the water however was very different. Perhaps weeks without a pull then maybe two orthree in one day by either Gendarmes,Guardia Civil or Redcaps and the odd time in Portugal,Germany and Belgium.

I’ve been driving HGV since 1980 & never been stopped by vosa, police or anyone else for that matter, despite working for some dodgy firms over the years. They only have until September this year to get their first one in.

In 7 years driving ive only been stopped 3 times, once as an employed driver and twice as an owner driver. All 3 stops have been random stops and were not connected to the traffic light system I.e a vehicle inspector waved me in, not pulled by a galaxy.

First time was on the A1 at Doncaster. I was in an 8 legger and had a weigh ticket showing 31.980, obviously within the limit. The inspector said I was running close to the MGW to which I said but im not over it am I?! They did a full vehicle and tachograph check and I was on my way in around 35minutes.

Second time was as an o/d when I had only been in business 3 months. Got waved in to the check point at Immingham even though id flashed a couple of Walter Koops trucks out in front of me all 3 of us were pulled! I gave them 28 days of tachos (analogue) and while one bloke checked them an inspector was giving my unit and trailer a good check over. Once the tachos came back all clear the inspector soon finished the vehicle check and sent me on my way. I remember at the time I had an air leak on the egr valve under the cab which could barely be heard. Anyway I struck the wagon up to leave and NO AIR!! Had to wait a couple of mins while they all stood there waiting for me to clear off. Got set off and back to the exit and thought ■■■■, I haven’t put my tacho back in! Quickly put it in and was on my merry way.

Last time I got pulled was at Bingham on the A52. Coming off the r/bout and vosa bod is stood at side of road waving me in. I got parked up and rang the farmer I was collecting from to tell him id be anywhere from 10mins to x amount of hours late! In the meantime a vosa examiner was at my door and said “you’ll not be long mate we’ve had you up on the system and you’re a green operator, just a quick visual check for any obvious defects and you’ll be on your way”. He literally did a walk round check and looked at the trailer mot disc, tax and o licence disc and sent me on my way again. I was only there 8 minutes.

I find if you go in shouting and balling and moaning that they’re wasting your time then they’ll look even harder for a defect/infringement. I’m always polite with them and only speak when spoken to. At the end of the day they have a job to do which helps us all. The majority of us are hard working,law abiding people who are let down by a small minority which inevitably leads us all to be tarred with the same brush.

Matt

When I drove for Tilcon we were never bothered by the Ministry Men, neither were companies like Tarmac or Blue Circle. However when I was doing the same job from the same quarry working for a haulier I was pulled around four times in the five years I worked there. Only once did I get a prohibition, a GV9 deffered for two hours to let me get home, for a suspected broken front spring U bolt. As has been said I think that the large operator’s with a good record of Test passes and regular maintenance generally get let past checkpoints and the ‘one man bands’ etc are more likely to get stopped.

Pete.

If you do get pulled be polite as possible ,otherwise you are in for a long time in their company.They stand at intersections and if a truck catches their eye a call by radio or phone to the patrol car .The Battenburg will overtake you and light up the follow me sign.

alamcculloch:
If you do get pulled be polite as possible ,otherwise you are in for a long time in their company.

Yes, the first test is the “attitude test”. Pass that and you are normally on your way fairly quickly. I’m always polite to them, can’t see any reason not to be really. I don’t go anywhere the limit of my hours or weights, and if they want to do a safety check on the truck then that’s fine by me, if something goes wrong with it then I’m the first person who’s going to get his neck snapped.

Since when did the BA Border Agency check for signing on and working.
It is the DWP that do that.Department of work and pensions.
Bit late to be looking for illegals if inland,even if the BA are on a mult agency check point.
If stopping livestock,then a vet or Defra could be there.

VOSA do not exist anymore!

DVSA
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency :wink:

What do I know :unamused: Iam just a troublesome cyclist who’s sometimes called a troll.

chester:
VOSA do not exist anymore!

DVSA
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency :wink:

What do I know :unamused: Iam just a troublesome cyclist who’s sometimes called a troll.

You best get on and get them to change all the signwriting on the cars and checkpoints. You will excuse us for not using the proper name when they cant even be bothered to themselves yet…

Edit, formal launch of the DVSA isn’t till April, with a gradual name roll out till then. So nananana