Yes we all know what it stands for but what is there actual job ■■

Can they stop and check car drivers as well as HGV ■■

Had this conversation with one of the guys and was just wondering

In a word yes

they can, and they do.
more tossers collecting stealth taxes.

nickyboy:
In a word yes

So why do you never see then stop a car ■■ or motorbike ■■ and could they give them the same fines as a HGV or similar ■■ ie PG9

Lady P:

nickyboy:
In a word yes

So why do you never see then stop a car ■■ or motorbike ■■ and could they give them the same fines as a HGV or similar ■■ ie PG9

Yes they can and they regually do, and the same rulles apply

Lady P:

nickyboy:
In a word yes

I’ve seen them pull transit vans quite often and a couple of times pull a car+caravan but never a car by itself.

As far as I’m aware they have the powers to prohibit a car just the same as a truck, not sure if they use a PG9 for it though.

Paul

If you were in a car and failed to stop for them I’d think any conviction would only last until the story got in the Daily Mail. There’s no awareness of VOSAs powers to stop outside mostly the heavy commercial world.

In my view it should only be uniformed police in marked cars with the powers to stop and should never have been altered.

They certainly do stop cars I had them stop me in the clacket lane services for a random check of my car a couple of years ago they were working along side the police also saw them set up a check point pulling in cars at the testing station in gillingham kent on the same day I was stopped

repton:

Lady P:

nickyboy:
In a word yes

I’ve seen them pull transit vans quite often and a couple of times pull a car+caravan but never a car by itself.

As far as I’m aware they have the powers to prohibit a car just the same as a truck, not sure if they use a PG9 for it though.

Paul

They have had a station set up near me on bank holliday weekends normally i think pulling just cars and motor bikes over aswell as the odd transit etc
On a car its mainly minor stuff like tail lights and the odd tyre

Lady P:

nickyboy:
In a word yes

WOULD BE QUITE INTERESTING GETTING A BIKER TO STOP FOR EM :slight_smile:

They also hang around livestock markets dipping fuel tanks trying to catch farmers out running their Land Rovers on red.

Paul

Own Account Driver:
If you were in a car and failed to stop for them I’d think any conviction would only last until the story got in the Daily Mail. There’s no awareness of VOSAs powers to stop outside mostly the heavy commercial world.

In my view it should only be uniformed police in marked cars with the powers to stop and should never have been altered.

Why would it make a diffrence if it was only police that could stop vehicles, all that would mean is that they would have to pay for police officers to stand along side the VOSA officials all day stopping the cars and handing them over - a compleat waste of money
Although genrally when they are targeting cars they do have police there aswell, there may be more serious crimes detected during car stops hence the need for a police presence

Have seen them pull Transit and the like or a transit type with trailer but not car unless with police support was just wondering if anyone had see this

Lady P:
Have seen them pull Transit and the like or a transit type with trailer but not car unless with police support was just wondering if anyone had see this

I dont imagine there is much point VOSA pulling cars wtihout police support although they probably could if there was sompthing obviously wrong, the chances of finding much wrong with the actall vehicle apart from lights and tyres etc whitch police can stop anyway is slim, more likely to be things like no licence, no insurance etc whitch i belive police are better equipt to deal wtih, also there is always the chance that some ■■■■ in a car may turn voilent where as this is unlightly wtih professional drivers

as much as we hate vosa, i have been very glad to see them arrive when i was involved in a serious accident(not my fault i hasten to add!)
but i was even more pleased to see the real traffic police arrive at the same accident!!

andrew.s:
as much as we hate vosa, i have been very glad to see them arrive when i was involved in a serious accident(not my fault i hasten to add!)
but i was even more pleased to see the real traffic police arrive at the same accident!!

Why hate VOSA, do you think there should be no deterent to people driving round with dodgy tachos and dangerous vehicles?

grahamzx6r:

Lady P:

nickyboy:
In a word yes

WOULD BE QUITE INTERESTING GETTING A BIKER TO STOP FOR EM :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This is true

This was just a general discussion a car/bike can possibly out run VOSA but not an HGV or bus / coach

AHT:

andrew.s:

Why hate VOSA, do you think there should be no deterent to people driving round with dodgy tachos and dangerous vehicles?

perhaps i should have worded it better! but do you actually like getting pulled by them for a check? or do you hate being pulled by vosa? i dont drive around with a dodgy motor or tacho’s,but still try to avoid a check if possible

repton:
They also hang around livestock markets dipping fuel tanks trying to catch farmers out running their Land Rovers on red.

Paul

Building sites too. My mate was a crane driver, ran his car on cherry for years. Hadn’t had a day off sick in over 20 years. One day he woke up so bad that he had his first ever day off sick, that day HMRC raided the yard and nicked everybody else on the firm.

I’ve seen VOSA waving cars in to their test stations, I came off the M4 at Swindon East one day, went round the roundabout towards town and saw a VOSA step out into the road about 50 yards in front of me, I thought “Right, here we go then” :stuck_out_tongue: but to my amazement he waved in the car in front of me, a Ford Mondeo that was only 3 or 4 years old.

I don’t have any problem with VOSA, I’ve always found them to be entirely reasonable with me and I never mind if they check my vehicle, to my mind it’s like getting a free MOT test. If anything goes wrong with the truck, I’m the first bloke who’s going to get his neck snapped so I never mind someone checking it over for me.

They always find a couple of tacho infringements, a couple of minutes over here or there, maybe slightly more on a Friday evening but again, they have never given me anything more severe than advice as to my future conduct.

I think the reason I get away with bits and bobs is that whenever I am stopped, is that within 15 seconds of winding down the window, I have passed the “attitude test” so they normally don’t hold me up for more than 10 minutes or so.

andrew.s:

AHT:

andrew.s:

so you actually like getting pulled by them for a check? or do you hate being pulled by vosa? i dont drive around with a dodgy motor or tacho’s,but still try to avoid a check if possible

How els can they determine the road worthyness of a vehicle with out checking it? There only doing there job, obviously I dont want to get checked as it takes time but I cant say it bothers me