VOSA

There are many posts on here that seem to indicate that VOSA fine just about every driver that is pulled in for a check !!
I can’t really believe that this is the case - probably we only hear about those that do get fined.

So to the question -

Out of 100 LGVs that VOSA pull in, how many actually get a FINE ?

VOSA press release from the beginning of September.

07-09-09 Fixed penalties 1st quarter results

Figures collated by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency reveal that 11,000 fixed penalty notices have already been issued for a range of traffic offences with over 800 vehicles being immobilised.
VOSA enforcement officers can issue a graduated fixed penalty, and where the driver is unable to provide a satisfactory address within the UK, full payment is taken immediately as a deposit for offences such as a mechanical defect or drivers’ hours.
More than half a million pounds has already been collected in deposit payments since VOSA started issuing fixed penalties on 28 May with over 60% of penalty notices being issued to the drivers of non-UK vehicles. Prior to the introduction of the new scheme, drivers of non UK based vehicles were usually dealt with by prohibition only.
VOSA examiners were at the same time provided with powers to immobilise prohibited vehicles considered to be a serious threat to road safety or where a driver has failed to make an immediate deposit payment.
Graduated Fixed Penalties Scheme Manager Karen Farr said: “The results of this first quarter are encouraging. This scheme enables us to level the playing field for all UK and foreign drivers. We have already started to see an improvement in compliance and that is good news for operators, drivers and road safety generally.

Don’t forget ROG a lot of the stories you hear will be just that, stories. You can usually spot the BS tales because the fixed penalty will be for several hundred pounds. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
VOSA enforcement officers can issue a graduated fixed penalty, and where the driver is unable to provide a satisfactory address within the UK, full payment is taken immediately

This is the essential change in the Law, and “Bring it on” I say. They’ve been fining me for 23 years- why should there be only one country in the eu where you can “get away with it”?

Figures collated by the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency reveal that 11,000 fixed penalty notices have already been issued for a range of traffic offences with over 800 vehicles being immobilised.

Out of how many pulled in for checks ?

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:
VOSA enforcement officers can issue a graduated fixed penalty, and where the driver is unable to provide a satisfactory address within the UK, full payment is taken immediately

This is the essential change in the Law, and “Bring it on” I say.

Along with

with over 60% of penalty notices being issued to the drivers of non-UK vehicles.

ROG:

Out of how many pulled in for checks ?

Doesn’t say but in 3 months it would be a hell of a lot more than 11,000. Although not forgetting a lot of the enforcement is targeted so is likely to produce a higher rate of penalties issued.

Vosa ‘are’ in my opinion vigourously extracting pennies,or is it pounds but the question that concerns me and will eventually concern all of you…‘is this in the interest of public safety or is it in the interest of Vosa’s future employment survival’.
It doesn’t take me to remind you all that Vosa’s employer is bankrupt,is borrowing and printing billions just to survive day to day.
Never had much of an opinion of Vosa in the past,now that they have become grubby little money collectors for their bankrupt employer my opinion is even less.
You will not be able to get through a day,soon enough,without being hammered,all those little minor errors will be turned into massive fines,just watch.
Interestingly,all those Vosa operatives I have come across over the years,not one have I met whom I would actually consider employing.
Today it is now…‘Them and us’.
Enjoy!!!

I’ve never had a problem with VOSA. I get my fair share of checks and I have been given delayed prohibitions in the past, but they have always pointed out the fault and there always has been a fault.

I have produced tachograph cards which have showed excessive movement when I have been unable to find anywhere to take a break and they have always accepted my explanation.

I look on VOSA as being there for my protection. At the end of the day it’s me who would get his neck snapped.

Harry I do believe you have mentioned before you have travelled on the continent.Fixed penalties on the spot ‘fines’ get real buddy you know what it has meant abroad. It should not be long before enough filmed evidence of Vosa operatives taking bungs is available to fill an excellent programme on one of our television channels,that is if drivers are smart enough to use their digi cameras when stopped.
Harry,they now have 30 years of catching up on their Euro buddies to make up.
Or didn’t you read about the Vosa area manager just done for benefit fraud.

I have only been stopped once. Probably because iwas driving a tatty old truck and a tattier trailer they were polite, apologetic and went through the lot and I’m glad to say found nothing wrong with it.

Armagedon:
Never had much of an opinion of Vosa in the past,now that they have become grubby little money collectors for their bankrupt employer my opinion is even less.
You will not be able to get through a day,soon enough,without being hammered,all those little minor errors will be turned into massive fines.

Its not just VOSA, normally you never see a cop patrol car unless its attending an incident, but just lately I’ve been seeing several per day, usually parked up behind someone they’ve pulled and they’re busily writing out a ticket to extract some money. Also speed camera vans working at the weekend :open_mouth: , an unusual sight until recently.

Got a VOSA pull going into Sheerness docks a couple of weeks ago, proper old boy though, all he was interested in was whether I’d had enough rest at the weekend and gross weight then sent me on my way, he must be a real disapointment to some of his colleagues and employer :grimacing:

To me its no different than speed cameras,it comes under the “safety umberella”,but really its nothing more than a money making scam.MONEY first SAFETY second.i personally hate both with a passion.

As an added thought -
As VOSA test stations are, it seems, destine to be made private, I wonder if many of the staff will be retrained and out on the road manning more pull-ins :bulb: :question:

ROG:
As an added thought -
As VOSA test stations are, it seems, destine to be made private, I wonder if many of the staff will be retrained and out on the road manning more pull-ins :bulb: :question:

Here in Middlewich we’ve had an independant private station for several years, but the actual testers who do the wheel tapping and cert issuing are still VOSA employees who are contracted in. Seems to work ok.

Ive not been fined as yet, but ive been tugged twice in the last 3 months at carlise for a full tacho check, in all my days before i was never asked for tachos, it was always a quick tap on the wheels off you go.

clarkyboy:
To me its no different than speed cameras,it comes under the “safety umberella”,but really its nothing more than a money making scam.MONEY first SAFETY second.i personally hate both with a passion.

I beg to differ - speed cameras are generally funded by willing volunteers but with all the regulations covering the LGV driver and the vehicle being driven then the chances of even a small indiscression are greatly increased.

ROG:

clarkyboy:

I beg to differ - speed cameras are generally funded by willing volunteers but with all the regulations covering the LGV driver and the vehicle being driven then the chances of even a small indiscression are greatly increased.

sorry i should have made opinions clearer,mobile speed camera (cash machines) vans.

clarkyboy:
sorry i should have made opinions clearer,mobile speed camera (cash machines) vans

I would still give exactly the same answer as before

Armagedon:
Fixed penalties on the spot ‘fines’ get real buddy you know what it has meant abroad.

In over 20 years of driving over the water I can’t say I’ve ever had a problem in any of the countless controls I’ve been subject to. Only things I have ever paid a fine for is speeding, guilty, and overtaking in a no overtaking zone, again guilty. Never paid a fine for paperwork problems, tacho problems, or anything else. Talked or joked my way out of some minor indiscretions and argued my way out of more than a few where they were trying to do me for non existent offences, not mentioning any names - the French and Belgians. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s nowhere near as bad for fines over the water as drivers like to make out, still it all makes for entertainment in the bars and truck stops. :wink: :smiley: The ones who used to make the most noise tended to be those who had one hit it from Milan or Barcelona and complained when they got a tug at St Omer.

had a pull south of peterborough on a1
no fine
no big deal