VOSA

Driveroneuk:
instead of being forced to sit in the 2nd for the next 10 miles?

You won’t mind if i use this quote for a sig will you?!!

Mike-C:
Come on !! I can’t answer every scenario you are going to produce. But what sticks out in this one…he’s been ‘stopped’ and then goes into the docks to get a trailer while they are with him? No part of him thinks it might be a good idea to run away whilst in the dock compound? Or just shout at the security on the way in or out?

Mike, they had pictures of his wife & children & threatened they would get hurt if he did anything to arouse suspicion.

What would you have done in those cicumstances? complied or run away?

At least one crim was hidden on the top bunk as they went in the dock.

Since then, security checks when entering Birkenhead docks have been heightened, random cab inspections, trailer inspections, driver asked to climb out & an airport style metal detector run over you, hands in the air style, etc.

It would make things a lot easier for wagon drivers if they were given a card with a contact number for VOSA to enable them to ring a hotline, give the Reg no and find out if it’s a genuine patrol car

Driveroneuk:

Mike-C:
Come on !! I can’t answer every scenario you are going to produce. But what sticks out in this one…he’s been ‘stopped’ and then goes into the docks to get a trailer while they are with him? No part of him thinks it might be a good idea to run away whilst in the dock compound? Or just shout at the security on the way in or out?

Mike, they had pictures of his wife & children & threatened they would get hurt if he did anything to arouse suspicion. I was told this by an Norfolkline employee.

What would you have done in those cicumstances? complied or run away?

At least one crim was hidden on the top bunk as they went in the dock.

Since then, security checks when entering Birkenhead docks have been heightened, random cab inspections, trailer inspections, driver asked to climb out & an airport style metal detector run over you, hands in the air style, etc.

Correct me if i’m wrong . The driver was Polish and he worked for Montgomerys?

No. (AFAIK) Yes.

Your point is?

He worked for Montgomerys. Norfolkline is the Birkenhead port. Not sure if he was Polish. If he was he may have had his family over here too.

do have the power to stop as stated on this link

link

What gives VOSA officers the Powers to Stop?

The Police Reform Act 2002 allows Chief Officers of Police to accredit VOSA staff with the Power to Stop vehicles.

I have heard that VOSA vehicles will be using amber lights, what is there to distinguish between a VOSA vehicle and a breakdown / rescue vehicle?

At present our vehicles are all identical and unique, which contrasts with over 50 police forces, all with slightly different liveries and a wide range of vehicles. We even have, as near as possible, matching reg marks for all the vehicles, ie they all start EU 03 M. Later vehicles will of course need to have 04 (or whatever) marks.

Point is they must have gone and taken lots of fotographs of Montgomerys drivers wives and kids on the off chance they got the one that was taking the ciggies that night. How the Norfolkline employee knows this i have no idea as i’m sure its never been officially revealed. Why do a foney VOSA stop if they have this info on him? Why not just catch him at the dock? Something here is not right? There is one thing for sure, stopping for a foney VOSA vehicle was the least of his worries then? There is a relevance in the driver being Polish though, i would of thought it would be easier to dupe a non UK national as they may not be 100% savvy as to what is kosher and what is not.

The Highway Man:
It would make things a lot easier for wagon drivers if they were given a card with a contact number for VOSA to enable them to ring a hotline, give the Reg no and find out if it’s a genuine patrol car

the reg number would not be the best thing i think a no on the car like(AAA111) would be better and if you ring just give the number and there should be able to tell you were that vehicle is and reg number to you to verify cos number plates can be copied

delboytwo:

The Highway Man:

the reg number would not be the best thing i think a no on the car like(AAA111) would be better and if you ring just give the number and there should be able to tell you were that vehicle is and reg number to you to verify cos number plates can be copied

Wagon drivers are in a good position to see the roof of the VOSA vehicle so if they quote the roof number and reg it shouldn’t be a problem. Our cars have roof numbers like police cars so they can be identified from the air by police helicopters.

Going back to the original point about the speeding issue for a second, as far as I am aware (apparantly) it is unlawful for police to break the speed limit, they are allowed to go through red lights etc but not speed. I know that is ridiculous, the police need to break the speed limit at certain times. As for VOSA I think you would have to go to a hell of a lot of trouble to duplicate them. The one thing I would say is that you can buy a board from Maplin which scrolls red text messages just like the VOSA have for around £50, but you would still have a hell of a lot to do to imitate a VOSA vehicle IMO

In terms of identifying a genuine VOSA stopping vehicle, drivers can phone the local Police number to verify it as all VOSA patrols should be logged with each respective Police forces control room.

Kerbdog:
Going back to the original point about the speeding issue for a second, as far as I am aware (apparantly) it is unlawful for police to break the speed limit, they are allowed to go through red lights etc but not speed. I know that is ridiculous, the police need to break the speed limit at certain times. As for VOSA I think you would have to go to a hell of a lot of trouble to duplicate them. The one thing I would say is that you can buy a board from Maplin which scrolls red text messages just like the VOSA have for around £50, but you would still have a hell of a lot to do to imitate a VOSA vehicle IMO

I agree, a lot of time and effort would be needed to replicate a VOSA car I imagine. I mean the criminals would need a sign writer/vehicle painter for starters that’s easily bribed to get the galaxy painted for a start.

As has been said the matrix sign and flashing lights would be the easy bit i’d imagine.

I’m guessing that the “VOSA colour specs” (if that makes sense) are not exactly something you can acquire by typing it into Google and will give you the colours/design patens/blue prints etc :open_mouth: :question: .

Unless of course VOSA just send the old cars down the local car auction once they have done too many miles :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: .

Regarding the bit about police will pull you over, seemed to be a lot of police/VOSA activity at sawtry weighbridge this afternoon. There were also a few police cars/motorbikes positioned down the A1m on slip roads leading towards sawtry so no telling what they were up to today!!!

VOSA vehicles, like ours are decommissioned at the end of their service lives. They have all equipment, lights, and livery removed. A plain car with holes from the extra switches goes to auction. :wink:

The Highway Man:
VOSA vehicles, like ours are decommissioned at the end of their service lives. They have all equipment, lights, and livery removed. A plain car with holes from the extra switches goes to auction. :wink:

Where do they get auctioned? I hear they go cheap? and well we can all say carefull drivers you only to 50 - 60mph shoguns are expensive so wouldn’t mind a ex highways one at least we know they are looked after.

Our cars are leased through Lloyds, They go to different auctions through out the country. A 2 year old Land Cruiser from my station went for 12 grand, full service history, serviced every 3 weeks.

Thankyou for that might give them a call see if they have a catalogue or something.

So acceptme what did Vosa say when you complained about there driver speeding

The Highway Man:

And collect a £60 fine and 3 points for calling it regardless of using hands free, as they’ll say you were not concentrating on the road :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Davey Driver:

The Highway Man:

And collect a £60 fine and 3 points for calling it regardless of using hands free, as they’ll say you were not concentrating on the road :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You pull over in a safe place and call, I can’t be condoning illegal activities now, can I ■■? :sunglasses: :wink: