VOSA

Are these guys allowed to Speed on the motor way to catch up with trucks. Last night on the m20 i saw on of them come by me at a fair old rate of knots so i tought id follow and see how fast he was going… he was doin well over the speed limit till he got too the forgien wagon and then proceeded to slam on the brakes in front of him to investigate… Where do they stand on speeding they really are a law to there own arnt they…

I would of thought they would have to get the police to stop the vehicle.

“They must be accredited by the police if using powers to stop. They must wear a distinct uniform and accreditation badge. They must not pursue, chase or exceed the speed limit and they must allow sufficient time for a driver to identify the VOSA vehicle and stop.”
-Ford & Warren Solicitors

A useful article:

tnn.co.uk/UKNews/UKLegislati … 2231516006

thanks for that these boys were HOONING and i was shocked by there actions… Yet very shocked at how quick a merc can go if u press the little button on the floor of the accelarator :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Another thing: VOSA do not have the power to stop vehicles on the motorway.

From the ACPO

"VOSA officers operate in distinctly liveried vehicles with yellow and black battenburg side
markings, yellow and orange chevrons at the rear and a roof bar with amber lights and variable
matrix signing. VOSA may use observation platforms and stop vehicles at a convenient place off
the motorway, such as a service area. VOSA are not permitted to stop vehicles on the motorway."

acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/ … x05x06.pdf

They can signal for you to “Follow me” but if you do not like the manner in which you were pursued then don’t follow them. They are exceeding their powers and their remit. Plus the suspicion is the vehicle may be bogus.
It won’t take long but a police traffic car will soon pull you over. Explain to the police that the VOSA vehicle exceeded the speed limit and pursued you. As the VOSA are not granted those those powers then you felt it may have been bogus and your safety may have been compromised.

Breaker One-Nine:
Explain to the police that the VOSA vehicle exceeded the speed limit and pursued you.

How you going to know that when driving a speed restricted lorry?

If you do not feel that the VOSA car is genuine by the manner of it’s driving then you have the right not to follow the car. If it is a genuine ‘tug’ then the police will soon be on your tail. Give them an explanation as to why you did not comply.

What I’m trying to highlight is that if a VOSA car tries to pull you over on the motorway do not stop. It is not a legitimate VOSA car.

You have the right to use your judgement to protect your safety.

There has been a number of hi-jackings using official looking vehicles directing you to stop.

Mike-C:

Breaker One-Nine:
Explain to the police that the VOSA vehicle exceeded the speed limit and pursued you.

To be a little fair, I would say that most professional truckers can judge the speed of another vehicle to the nearest 10 mph - this also said by a few traffic cops in my time :wink:

I Found this on the VOSA website:

Its a response to a freedom of information request.

3. Please could you advise me what training VOSA staff have in respect of dealing with
vehicles which fail to stop for VOSA checks and fail to pull over to allow VOSA officers to
exercise the power to stop.
A. VOSA staff are instructed to note the vehicle registration mark/s of any vehicle/s failing
to stop. They are then required to submit a report which will be followed up either by the
Police or another VOSA officer in the area where the driver/operator is based.

vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit … 20Stop.pdf

ROG:

Mike-C:

Breaker One-Nine:

To be a little fair, I would say that most professional truckers can judge the speed of another vehicle to the nearest 10 mph - this also said by a few traffic cops in my time :wink:

In my experience they can’t even tell if they’re going faster than you or not as i have plenty sit beside me on the motorway with their left indicator on !! :smiley:
But i think its bad advice to try and ignore VOSA cars it’ll just get you in a lot of trouble. Anyone with half a brain can correctly identify a liveried VOSA vehicle, it will also flash a sign to say ‘follow me’ or something similar. They will not stop you on the motorway, infact i could be wrong but i’m sure they will not actually stop you at all. They just get you to follow them to the nearest checkpoint.

Mike-C:
Anyone with half a brain can correctly identify a liveried VOSA vehicle, it will also flash a sign to say ‘follow me’ or something similar. They will not stop you on the motorway, infact i could be wrong but i’m sure they will not actually stop you at all. They just get you to follow them to the nearest checkpoint.

From the BBC News. Remember that this happened in broad daylight.

Armed gang hijacks lorry driver
A lorry driver was hijacked in Lancashire and forced to drive more than 100 miles by an armed gang who posed as transport officials.
The man was stopped by the three men, who were in a car, close to the Fulwood junction of the M6 in Preston.
They claimed to be from the Vehicle and Operator Service Agency, and threatened the man with a Taser stun gun.
He was forced to drive to Walsall where his load of copper wire was stolen, before being ■■■■■■■ in his cab.
The hijackers targeted the driver after he collected a load from Longridge in Preston at lunchtime on Monday.
He was forced to drive down the M6 to Walsall, where his trailer was stolen.

Also from the BBC News:
Lorry driver hijacked on motorway
A lorry has been hijacked on the M53 near Ellesmere Port in Cheshire in an operation to steal a load of cigarettes from Merseyside’s Birkenhead Docks.
Police said the lorry driver, who works for a firm in Preston, was stopped by bogus officials who commandeered his wagon on Thursday.
The lorry’s tractor unit was used to take the load of cigarettes to Hapsford near Chester.
The driver of the lorry was then taken to the Humber where he was abandoned.
Illuminated sign
According to Cheshire Police, the driver was travelling from Deeside in North Wales and was en-route to Birkenhead Docks when it was pulled over by a Ford Galaxy, made to look like a Vehicle and Operators Services Agency (VOSA) car.
The Ford pulled in front of the lorry and illuminated its sign, instructing the vehicle to follow it.
The lorry stopped near junction 7 of the M53 and two offenders forced the driver to continue driving to the docks where he exchanged his trailer for another trailer containing a large quantity of cigarettes.
The offenders are then believed to have followed the lorry to Hapsford Services, where the trailer was attached to the offenders’ vehicle.
The driver and his cab were taken to and subsequently found in Killingholme, in the Humber region.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about the robbery to contact them - the offenders’ tractor unit and the stolen trailer have not been found.

It is not bad advice to fail to stop. If you have your suspicions about the vehicle then do not stop. You will not get into trouble as you will be given a chance to explain your actions at a later date.

Breaker One-Nine:

Mike-C:
Anyone with half a brain can correctly identify a liveried VOSA vehicle, it will also flash a sign to say ‘follow me’ or something similar. They will not stop you on the motorway, infact i could be wrong but i’m sure they will not actually stop you at all. They just get you to follow them to the nearest checkpoint.

From the BBC News. Remember that this happened in broad daylight.

Armed gang hijacks lorry driver
A lorry driver was hijacked in Lancashire and forced to drive more than 100 miles by an armed gang who posed as transport officials.
The man was stopped by the three men, who were in a car, close to the Fulwood junction of the M6 in Preston.
They claimed to be from the Vehicle and Operator Service Agency, and threatened the man with a Taser stun gun.
He was forced to drive to Walsall where his load of copper wire was stolen, before being ■■■■■■■ in his cab.
The hijackers targeted the driver after he collected a load from Longridge in Preston at lunchtime on Monday.
He was forced to drive down the M6 to Walsall, where his trailer was stolen.

It is not bad advice to fail to stop. If you have your suspicions about the vehicle then do not stop. You will not get into trouble as you will be given a chance to explain your actions at a later date.

Well i said its bad advice to ignore VOSA cars, not bad advice not to stop. VOSA will not stop you. I’ve no idea of the scenario of that report you quoted, but i’ll reckon three guys dressed like Japanese generals stopped him on the hard shoulder with a flashing amber beacon or summat? Who knows.

How about this Mike?

Also from the BBC News:
A lorry has been hijacked on the M53 near Ellesmere Port in Cheshire in an operation to steal a load of cigarettes from Merseyside’s Birkenhead Docks.
Police said the lorry driver, who works for a firm in Preston, was stopped by bogus officials who commandeered his wagon on Thursday.
The lorry’s tractor unit was used to take the load of cigarettes to Hapsford near Chester.
Illuminated sign
According to Cheshire Police, the driver was travelling from Deeside in North Wales and was en-route to Birkenhead Docks when it was pulled over by a Ford Galaxy, made to look like a Vehicle and Operators Services Agency (VOSA) car.
The Ford pulled in front of the lorry and illuminated its sign, instructing the vehicle to follow it. The lorry stopped near junction 7 of the M53 and two offenders forced the driver to continue driving to the docks where he exchanged his trailer for another trailer containing a large quantity of cigarettes.
The offenders are then believed to have followed the lorry to Hapsford Services, where the trailer was attached to the offenders’ vehicle.
The driver and his cab were taken to and subsequently found in Killingholme, in the Humber region.
Police are appealing for anyone with information about the robbery to contact them - the offenders’ tractor unit and the stolen trailer have not been found.

did any 1 else hear anything over the stolen ciggarettes etc ■■

mark h:
did any 1 else hear anything over the stolen ciggarettes etc ■■

why do u wanna buy some :laughing: :laughing:

Breaker One-Nine:
How about this Mike?

Also from the BBC News:
Illuminated sign
The Ford pulled in front of the lorry and illuminated its sign, instructing the vehicle to follow it. The lorry stopped near junction 7 of the M53 and two offenders forced the driver to continue driving to the docks where he exchanged his trailer for another trailer containing a large quantity of cigarettes.

Come on !! I can’t answer every scenario you are going to produce. But what sticks out in this one…he’s been ‘stopped’ and then goes into the docks to get a trailer while they are with him? No part of him thinks it might be a good idea to run away whilst in the dock compound? Or just shout at the security on the way in or out?
Here’s what the back of one looks like…

It will get you to follow it to a properly lit check point with plenty of other officers about.

Mike, The point I’m trying to make is that if a VOSA car is acting in a manner beyond the powers granted to it then you have a right to believe that the vehicle may not be genuine. If that is the case then you have the right not to follow or stop.

If the vehicle is acting within it’s legal remit then you are obliged to follow the vehicle and stop if requested.

Breaker One-Nine:
Mike, The point I’m trying to make is that if a VOSA car is acting in a manner beyond the powers granted to it then you have a right to believe that the vehicle may not be genuine. If that is the case then you have the right not to follow or stop.

If the vehicle is acting within it’s legal remit then you are obliged to follow the vehicle and stop if requested.

I agree entireley with you. The more we know what they are supposed to do and not to do can only be a good thing.

Mike-C:
In my experience they can’t even tell if they’re going faster than you or not as i have plenty sit beside me on the motorway with their left indicator on !!

Maybe they are politely asking you to back it off a notch or 2 so that they can return to the left lane instead of being forced to sit in the 2nd for the next 10 miles?

Mark, regarding the ■■■■ job. One of the company involved fitters comes in my local occasionally. Not seen him for a while, but last time i saw him, the trailer still hadn’t been found.

As i said at the time on the old forum at the time this was discussed, don’t know what this story is about having come from Deeside… he’d come from Daventry with a load of engines.

Thank you Mike. Good argument by the way! For once has not ended in a name calling slanging match! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good night!