Vosa pulled me over

Hi. Customer loaded 7,5 tonner and issued paperwork that they are loaded 2 tonnes in total. Unfortunately I was fined 60 pounds being 6.80 percent over, weighting total of 8010 kilos. Later, the person who load me told me that he weight it and it was 2,8T which is correct weight from my calculations. So in the end they have put items weight only excluding heavy steel cages - 800kgs :smiling_imp:

Is there anything I can do or I need to pay this ?

Thanks.

Ultimately it’s your responsibility, however you can try and approach your customer and explain that they seem to have got it wrong and would they be nice enough to re-imburse you.

I think that its very unfair but you will have to pay ,as driver its your responsibility.

This used to happen a lot when I used to pull out of a foundry, they would weight the goods and then put it in stillages, a 10 ton load would easily weigh 11.5 tons if you include heavy stillages.

Ultimately it is your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle is not overloaded.

brados:
Ultimately it is your responsibility to ensure that your vehicle is not overloaded.

^^^^^^^ +1

Ken.

Write to them explaining what happened. If you have copies of the paperwork that would be good, but name the customer and just detail how it was that you were an innocent victim of their incompetence.

It might work and all it will cost is the the price of a stamp.

Santa:
Write to them explaining what happened. If you have copies of the paperwork that would be good, but name the customer and just detail how it was that you were an innocent victim of their incompetence.

Good luck with that. You will get the reply that if you are unsure of the weight you must proceed to the nearest public weighbridge and get weighed off.

Conor:

Santa:

Good luck with that. You will get the reply that if you are unsure of the weight you must proceed to the nearest public weighbridge and get weighed off.

I agree with Conor; Our previous TM used to say this when we complained of being overloaded. He would want to see us in his office when we refused to go back for more loads or as in my case, tipped it off in the gateway, blocking the site.
We got weighers after an overloaded lorry fell over on the tip…

O once loaded Russianb Turf in Rotterdam.
I couldn’t overtake not even a very old 8 Axle Fiat Road Train in italy :grimacing:
38600 Kilo had the Load.

Unfortunately your only defence is that you are on the way to the nearest weighbridge.
You are morally blameless but that cuts no ice I’m afraid. That’s vosa for you.

ShropsBri:
Unfortunately your only defence is that you are on the way to the nearest weighbridge.

Yes,and that is it.
Been unlucky.May get well next Time,but maybe not.I wouldnt take a chance :exclamation:

get the boss to pay, or get the customer to pay.

ShropsBri:

Or Trading Standards. Overloading is an absolute offence. Mens rea! :stuck_out_tongue:

Conor:

Santa:

Not sure on that…

You can normally check a 7.5t by putting your fist sidewards between wheel and arch, if it doesn’t fit, double check the weight (this was on leaf springs mind, not sure if it’d work on air?).

But, we go off paperwork all the time and expect it to be right, and if it drove normal etc (as it would for 600kg difference) then why would you assume any different and go to a weigh bridge??

I’d personally appeal it with copies of the paperwork and a draft of your calculations showing the total weight to be ok and explain that there was no reason to suspect being over-weight…

Does a public weigh bridge cost to weigh on ■■ How much?? How often do people use them because they ‘think’ they may be over-weight?

Conor:

Santa:

He wasn’t unsure of his weight, he was sure that he was loaded with 2.8t as per paperwork. Unfortunately he was wrong.

waynedl:

Conor:

Santa:
Does a public weigh bridge cost to weigh on ■■ How much?? How often do people use them because they ‘think’ they may be over-weight?

We charge £5 per ticket for public weigh. I think a public weighbridge has to have a digital scale that can be read from the cab aswell. You’d need it with the number of cantankerous weighbridge operators about…
Around here VOSA target 7.5tonners and builders’ vans and pickups. Plus of course anyone who they’ve caught previously…you’d be amazed at the repeat offenders, usually transit tippers where the labourers can’t get it in their thick heads they can’t carry 1.5ton despite what their boss says…

Muckaway:

waynedl:

Conor:

Santa:

We charge £5 per ticket for public weigh. I think a public weighbridge has to have a digital scale that can be read from the cab aswell. You’d need it with the number of cantankerous weighbridge operators about…
Around here VOSA target 7.5tonners and builders’ vans and pickups. Plus of course anyone who they’ve caught previously…you’d be amazed at the repeat offenders, usually transit tippers where the labourers can’t get it in their thick heads they can’t carry 1.5ton despite what their boss says…

So, would that be the driver that’d have to pay the fiver?

Only go to work to earn money, and you’ve got paperwork that says you’re underweight, and truck looks ok and drives ok, but you should spend a fiver of your own money just in case??

As I said, I’d be fighting it on the grounds of ‘this is the unladen weight of my truck, this is the weight of my goods, a+b=c which is under 7.5t’.

When VOSA weigh you, is it with driver in or out? Pre or post ■■■?

He was over weight.

I’ve no truck with firms who try and palm unsuspecting drivers off with bent loads. They know damned well what weight they are putting on - and if they don’t, they’re running such a liability that their O licence should already be under review!

I’ve had two firms try to get me to run bent in the past year. Both reported to vosa (by me!) and one of them looks like losing their O license. (operating drivers 75 hour weeks monday-friday). The other one was reported for “brinkmanship loading” when they didn’t have a weighbridge in their yard. Jury is still out on that one I believe. The 75 hour geezer was of course paying “daily rate” which is why I like being paid by the hour instead! Strangely, there never seems to be any top-dollar 15 hour shifts required over the weekend at these firms… I wouldn’t be objecting to 2 or 3x 15 hours across a weekend at top rates now would I?

Drivers have enough on their plates without all the “its your fault if you get caught with our bent setup” ■■■■■■■■.
As well as all the money spent on “health and safety”, VOSA should be fining firms a lot more than the driver gets fined. There are a lot of depots who’ll load the truck without allowing the driver to inspect during loading (sealed, no admission to building, etc.) I’ll look in the back as much as possible after pulling off the bay, and have occasionally caught umpteen pallets of bricks, hazchem loads, and other easy to spot “attempted palm-offs”, but overall it is the driver’s responsibility to keep the firms themselves on their toes. In these days of austerity there are sadly going to be more attempts out there to “cut corners” by firms once the wages have been pushed as far as they can go downwards… Don’t let the buggers intimidate you with “no work if you don’t comply” or “the agency boss is my mate, I’ll get you booted” which have both happened to me. I’m still alive, running straight, and have a clean license after all this time whilst many of the offending firms have long since gone.

…I must consider getting a job with VOSA actually - It would be nice to be on the other side of the wall!

Yes, I am ‘thinking of the children’ being saved! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

A lot of the quarries wont give you a ticket for any overload even 100kgs which is nothing when you look at it on the floor, tipped off. Although some weighbridges tell you to move right to the front of the bridge, so the front wheel is starting to come off, thus knocking off 100-200 kgs. I did it last week when shovel driver didn’t react quick enough to my weighloader siren. :grimacing: