VOSA Jct 14 M6

Hi everyone

I heard a rumour that Its going to be operating on a 24hr basis is it true?

Now i agree running bent is wrong but somethings are taken the wee wee

My mate got stop there 4 times in 2 weeks now 1. his truck and trailer had no defects. 2. his tachos where ok the 1st he was stopped and on the 2nd time he was found that he only took 41hrs instead of 45hrs so they parked him up for 45hrs.

Then on the 3rd and 4th his abs light was on the dash now the trailers we pick up arent the best in the world but they are leagal but he was made to drive round to prove it went out when he started driving.

now some might think that yeah we deserve all this.

has anyone else been stopped here and stupid things have been found.

I know they are doing there job but for the stupid little things dont you think they should be doing more to stop the foregin driver who run day and night eg 29days andonly get parked up 45hrs and a small fine

As for the ABS light on the dash I dont think they can do much as a lot of trailers are incompatable with some units all the light on the dash tells you is that they aint talking to each other but that dont mean the ABS aint working
Oh yeah how come they didnt pick up his tachos the first and second time it all depends on what he’s been workin

Ayup,I used to be one of them Foreign Drivers,and used to get stopped that much in Hull docks the ministry man used my first name,so they do stop Foreigners,even used to have Foreingn only checks at Wetherby.We were always heavy running at 40 tonnes(uk was 38 then)but we had to unload in the dock and have our weights checked again,before continuing our journey,cost us time but atleast we were legal on roads.I never had other problems but any Drivers with problems were always parked up for atleast 24hrs.Just remember some of the FOREIGNERS are Yorkshiremen and know how the UK works too. Joe. HIC :wink:

Having driven several foreign trucks I too have been targetted by the man in the van. The ministry still know who to pull and sometimes would get between me and a colleague to seperate us and take his pickings.

when the new Carlisle Vosa pad is ready & open, expect that to be working everyday :wink:

Another thing with the ABS is that one of our trucks was found to have the ABS light on and we would all put it down to incompatibility.

When the Vosa man crawled under it he found a broken disc and we got a PG9.

9 times out of 10 it will be electrical, but it is the other time when you may need it

ABS orange light allways 9 times out of 10 allways on…tell me about the wheeel nut allignment tags…majority of the time they are never there or some are missing…would you refuse to take the trailer

its just that i do, as the TM has gone home and instead of looking to ■■■■ things up i carry on regardless…internal magazine states not to pull trailers if yellow tags missing

K.Adams:
Hi everyone

My mate got stop there 4 times in 2 weeks now 1. his truck and trailer had no defects. 2. his tachos where ok the 1st he was stopped and on the 2nd time he was found that he only took 41hrs instead of 45hrs so they parked him up for 45hrs.

Then on the 3rd and 4th his abs light was on the dash now the trailers we pick up arent the best in the world but they are leagal but he was made to drive round to prove it went out when he started driving.

I know they are doing there job but for the stupid little things dont you think they should be doing more to stop the foregin driver who run day and night eg 29days andonly get parked up 45hrs and a small fine

I am confused, admittedly I have only been stopped a couple of times in the last 20 years, but when I was stopped in October this year, at the end of the control procedure they gave me a slip of paper and told me to keep it with me for the next month in case I was stopped again, telling me all I needed to do was show them this and they would wave me on my way.

I can only guess that the first time your mate got stopped he had a problem so didn’t get said piece of paper. Does that happen?

I got said slip of paper when all ok as they were having a countrywide blitz some years ago - it was to be shown so that I was not pulled again.

To the guys who say that foreign registered trucks don’t get stopped, I’d simply say: Sorry, but you’re talking rubbish.

I’ve driven two foreign (Italian) registered trucks on international journeys in the UK and I can honestly say that I got pulled in both trucks.

If you then say: Ahh, but they didn’t used to do that; I’ll say that I’m talking about 1984/5. (My Reg No: TO 10064 Z )

:grimacing: Foreign registered trucks not being stop-checked in the UK is a complete myth, for I was that driver… :wink:

Here’s another myth busted: Foreign registered trucks get parking tickets too. :blush: :blush: :blush:

:open_mouth: But they never got paid. :laughing: :sunglasses:

they seem to be getting busy around Harlow too, they’ve often got someone waiting to go on the weighbridge on jcn7 in the wee small hours

all our trucks are southern irish which dont help but we run legal theres no need to run bent on what we do.

I cant believe tho he got stop friday nite/ sat mornin then again sun nite/ mon mornng. When asked were all his tacho’s where they didnt believe him at 1st that they had taken them all on the fri/sat.

Now he makes a joke of it every night go and see his friends a JCT 14

What will he get for not having a 45hr rest a fine, points or a ban.
1st offence tho

K.Adams:
Hi everyone

from what i have heard that “tug” station is now running 24/7 now it is fully open. i may be wrong as i dont go up that way just what i have heard… :confused: :slight_smile:

K.Adams:
all our trucks are southern irish which dont help but we run legal theres no need to run bent on what we do.

I cant believe tho he got stop friday nite/ sat mornin then again sun nite/ mon mornng. When asked were all his tacho’s where they didnt believe him at 1st that they had taken them all on the fri/sat.

1st offence tho

You sy you run 100% legal, no need to run bent then at teh end you say your man got all his cards taken off him, presumably because the Vosa officer thought there was something wrong then you also clearly state he aint had a big enough break and wondering what penalty he will have to serve?

So which is it? Do use run bent? A little or none at all?

K Adams complains abut his mate getting pulled often, then says more should be done to stop foreigners then reveals the trucks are southern Irish. Irish trucks are foreigners at J14 of the M6 and that would also explain why he was stopped so often. I’d say running legal on southern plates would mean your still in a minority. VOSA in my experience stop many more foreigners (including Irish) than UK trucks in my experience, and rightly so in many cases.

I drive a southern Irish truck.

i reckon the new one at carlisle could be a 24/7 contender,everytime i go past its open(everyday).i"ve also seen scotch corner open at 8pm.
wouldn"t be so bad,but it worries me,not that im bent,i keep my truck/hours in order,but the last time i was pulled in by vosa,they didnt understand drivers hours regs,and tried to warn me on a friday.i"d reduced my daily rest three times that week.■■?.i pointed out to the inspector i was allowed to,he was adamant i"d done something wrong.
:unamused: :unamused:

I was stopped here j14 at 0200 in the morning the vosa man just ran me over the weighbridge asked where i started then let me go, prob thought i was non uk as driving a left hand drive.
There must have been 8 or 10 foriegn trucks parked up there

K.Adams:

1st offence tho

Could have been the same VOSA officer recognised the truck and remembered he had dodgy tacho’s last time and was only stopped less than 45 hrs ago and for some reason was on the road without the truck having a 45 hr break, prior knowledge and intelligence is a way they target trucks, that may have been why he was stopped, the fact that he had been stopped 4 times and on all occasions something was wrong does not bode well.

What did he do with the receipt that VOSA gave him for the Tacho’s taken from him on Friday? if he showed them to the officer there would be no reason to disbelieve him about VOSA taking his other cards,

I think it would be better if your mate came on the forum to explain what has happened because you appear to only have a limited knowledge of what went on and have jumped to your own conclusions on the limited story he has told you IMHO

Carlisle is open, its been open quite a bit during the day supposedly, but ive never seen it open when i pass which is normally after midnight.

Ive heard rumours its going to be 24/7 but if it is sounds a bit nuts to me having it running 24/7 its not that busy and typically same old faces see on that road night after night.

I’d have thought having a test station in that location open 24/7 would cost silly money and not a good way to distrubute resourses in the area, would be better open frequently at different times so people driving up there know there is always a chance of it being open, going to catch as many people and put a lot of people off running bent.

It was open the other week when i was going down but was shut when i was coming back up, i was upset i was hoping for a pull, hoping they would stop me for an hour so i could blag a load of OT outta it lol

Ive never been pulled in a mainland UK registared motor but been pulled plenty of times in a Northern Irish truck.

The closest ive been to being pulled in a UK truck was when i was guided into the test station and the guy took one look at the brand new truck and trailer for a large supermarket company and just said on you go.

I didnt realise Carlisle was up and running properly, there were some workman with excavators when I passed recently.

However they have not built those spare lanes and parking areas for show. The old weighbridge and hut was just too small for a VOSA nationwide operation.

And Beatock is just too bleak for even the most rufty tufty inspector in most weathers :stuck_out_tongue:

So with Switch Island, Wetherby, Scotch Corner and Carlisle, where are you going to hide?