VOSA Jct 14 M6

Ok then my mate made a mistake by coming in without checking his time off.
We work mon-fri nights 1 week then sun to friday the next with tue or thurs off.

As a vosa offical quoted on Prime time (irish program) that 90% of irish trucks have either over drivers hours or vehicle defects. Yet mr johnny foreginer is or some of the cowboys over here arent just as bad.

Its very rare we exceed 8hrs driving only if we have to go to another port.
so what is my mate going to expect for a minor mistake.

I cant understand the driving laws you drive a 44ton truck all week legally and on your days off whats stopping you from driving a 3.5ton van (if you wanted) around with only 2 or 3hrs rest so wtf be arsed over 4hrs.

When he got parked up for 45hrs there was 2 polish and they had run 29days only stopping for a few hours and what do they get parked up for 45hrs and let off with a small fine.

just a note,even when i"ve passed carlisle open,and they have people in,two minutes up the road gretna services is full of vosa/police.

K.Adams:
I cant understand the driving laws you drive a 44ton truck all week legally and on your days off whats stopping you from driving a 3.5ton van (if you wanted) around with only 2 or 3hrs rest so wtf be arsed over 4hrs.

The regulations stop you from doing it. You would be breaking the law, it is like saying whats to stop you parking up at an MSA every night for 11 hours and going in and working as a pump attendant.

Just because two polish trucks you say were stopped there only got parked up and a received small fine (how do you know what the fine was?) doesn’t mean it is OK to run “just a little” bent because they run bent.

As you keep saying there is no need to run bent in your company, so why the ■■■■ is this mate running bent? and more to the point why is he complaining about getting stopped if they were proved correct in stopping him■■?
I could maybe understand if he got stopped 4 times and there was nothing wrong, but then he would have got a letter saying he was OK at the first check and would have been waved on at any subsequent pull :confused: :confused:

The VOSA cars sit on the northbound sliproad at JCT13 and they register the traffic passing then if they have a slight inclination summat’s wrong they are all over you in a rash.I do alot of work abroad and the French Gendarmaries and German BAG are quick to target UK registered motors than their own.

bigbird201:
The VOSA cars sit on the northbound sliproad at JCT13 and they register the traffic passing then if they have a slight inclination summat’s wrong they are all over you in a rash.I do alot of work abroad and the French Gendarmaries and German BAG are quick to target UK registered motors than their own.

Most of the enforcement agencies are wired up now, they can sit at the side of the road and enter the registration in a laptop. Due to OCRS they can take their pick and intelligence leads to more convictions.

I dont honestly believe the Germans Dutch French or even Belgians randomly target UK trucks any more than the locals. It is just that the standards are higher and there are a lot of wrong uns from this country.

Buck said

just a note,even when i"ve passed carlisle open,and they have people in,two minutes up the road gretna services is full of vosa/police

Scotland and England will never work together :slight_smile:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Buck said

just a note,even when i"ve passed carlisle open,and they have people in,two minutes up the road gretna services is full of vosa/police

I don’t see that happening either, don’t think ■■■■■■■■ Police are going to sit in Gretna and take people back across the border or vice versa. Different country different laws.

Only thing can see them working on is maybe D&G on standby incase someone decides not to pull in and goes for the border.

Kenny1975:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Buck said

I don’t see that happening either, don’t think ■■■■■■■■ Police are going to sit in Gretna and take people back across the border or vice versa. Different country different laws.

Only thing can see them working on is maybe D&G on standby incase someone decides not to pull in and goes for the border.

So does the England / Scotland border thing work like it does in the movies?
Head for the State line boys. Yeeeeeharrrrrr. :laughing:

Heard stories it used to years ago, heard stories about someone with a Z1 motorbike in the early 70’s living in the borders used to go over the border at Coldstream and play catch me with the Northumberland Police then go back across the border and slow down.

But then again it was prob just a story, def aint like that these days. Don’t know what would happen if you failed to stop and carried on across the border, i’d assume ■■■■■■■ Police would keep on following you until D&G could catch up.

Kenny1975:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Buck said

just to clarify,these are two seperate checkpoints,about two miles apart,they are checking vehicles at carlisle AND gretna,sometimes at the same time.
don"t know,but i think obviuosly carlisle is ■■■■■■■■ enforcement,and gretna is scottish.just seems a bit daft,to me.

buck73:

Kenny1975:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Buck said

just to clarify,these are two seperate checkpoints,about two miles apart,they are checking vehicles at carlisle AND gretna,sometimes at the same time.
don"t know,but i think obviuosly carlisle is ■■■■■■■■ enforcement,and gretna is scottish.just seems a bit daft,to me.

There isnt any magical border to cross with gun emplacements any more. But the new Vosa checkpoint will probably be used more than the old weighbridge layby. Vosa vehicles are not tied to these sites and can and should roam about. Being on the main route to Ireland is probably a reason to have a visible presence :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem will come when the prosecutions drop through the letterbox. Is it from the Procurator Fiscal or Crown Prosecution Service or just 3 old daft old duffers with ear trumpets sat on a wooden bench.