VOSA - Information Needed, Please

The department I’m working in is responsible for updating the various guides that are published.

The HGV and PSV drivers hours guides were done last year and we’re currently looking at the others. We thought that an A5 sized (so it easily fits in a bag or cubby hole) booklet with general, driving related information in would be useful. We could sit thinking for hours as to what we should include, but the more radical idea is ask YOU the target audience what information YOU would like to see included.

So it’s over to you, what topics do you want to see included, just to get the ball rolling; basic drivers hours, permitted maximum weights, what else?

This post is Admin approved.

Are these any good

A CONVERSION chart Feet & Inches
into Meters, to help with stopping
bridge strikes,with over height trailers

List of Toll Roads , Bridges,and tunnels,

UP dated list of parking areas for Trucks.

How bout,

A checklist for what should be done on daily check of vehicle?

Safe loading techniques?

Authorised truck parking areas, where no truckstops are to be found? (That may take up too much space tho?)

Certainly an up to date list of parking would be useful.

Numbers to contact in an emergency, also things like Highway Agency numbers etc.

I’m sure theres loads of others but non I can think of now!

Alex

Emergency numbers (other than 999), for example local area HATO or Motorway police.

information about how we can stop the rules changing from complicated to really complicated. :confused: :confused:

Clarky:
How bout,

A checklist for what should be done on daily check of vehicle?

Like THIS one?

geebee45:
but the more radical idea is ask YOU the target audience what information YOU would like to see included.

I’m sure you’ll get many worthwhile ideas for the content of such a handbook, but my radical idea is to do with how to get the new handboook into the hands of those who really need it.

IMHO the concept of the handbook and asking for input is really first-class, but the idea should only be viewed as a starting point.:grimacing:
IMHO, the idea might fall flat if there’s stacks of handbooks gathering dust at the local GVTS. :wink:

:bulb: Why not publish enough of the handbooks and then use an official database to get them posted to everybody with an “O” licence and/or LGV licence??

I can see that there’d be cost implications to my suggestion, but since ignorance is no excuse, I’ve always felt that the authorities perhaps ought to be a little bit more proactive than simply hiding behind an easily quotable law that doesn’t actually help those who want to comply, but can’t because they can’t easily find the info. If this handbook is an honest attempt at correcting that situation, I’d say it deserves our wholehearted support.

:grimacing: Dare I suggest that some basic dangerous goods info might be included for those drivers who don’t hold an ADR licence??

how about printing some basic rules etc in Polish (and other European ) languages :wink:

which goverment department is asking you to publish this book? as i would like to write to them so they can simplify the rules by doing it my way.

limeyphil:
which goverment department is asking you to publish this book? as i would like to write to them so they can simplify the rules by doing it my way.

Before you start writing, learn to read. Its says VOSA in the subject line.
VOSA Head Office.
Berkeley House,
Croydon Street,
Bristol BS5 ODA

Good luck :wink:

Mike-C:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: PMSL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: Nice one Mike-C, now it’s well and truly simplified.:grimacing:

Denis F:
how about printing some basic rules etc in Polish (and other European ) languages :wink:

:laughing: It was once tried with Hungarian, but it didn’t work. :laughing: :wink:

Mike-C:

limeyphil:

VOSA Head Office.
Berkeley House,
Croydon Street,
Bristol BS5 ODA

VOSA are the enforcement dept. not the ones who write the rules. thats the ones i 'm talking about.

limeyphil:

Mike-C:

limeyphil:

VOSA Head Office.
Berkeley House,
Croydon Street,
Bristol BS5 ODA

VOSA are the enforcement dept. not the ones who write the rules. thats the ones i 'm talking about.

that will be THESE GUYS

Areas we are overnighting in, where the nearest pub is…what night grab a granny is on…and if we r lucky…where we can pull for the night…

Just one A4 piece of laminated card (so the boss cant rip it in half in disgust) stating…

It is the drivers choice to use the extended 1hr drive and it is also the drivers choice whether to take a reduced daily rest or not

and also

It is not acceptable for you as an employer and or holder of an operators licence to turn a blind eye to some drivers thinking it is perfectly acceptable to do a 15hr shift every day as long as they take 11hrs off twice a week

plus

Under no circumstances should you pay your drivers less per hour than you pay your office cleaner

and maybe even

You should refrain from purchasing Mercedes Mega waste of spaces instead opting for maybe a Daf 105 ssc or MAN tga xxl or Volvo gobbstopper

(ok that was on a more personal note)

theres probably more but im depressed enough as it is

Hope that helps :grimacing:

Reef:
You should refrain from purchasing Mercedes Mega waste of spaces instead opting for maybe a Daf 105 ssc or MAN tga xxl or Volvo gobbstopper

I think it’s time you sarted taking pride in the three pointed star that adourns your new truck. Your boss has gone to a lot of trouble to find a top marque truck and this is the thanks he gets :unamused: :unamused:

P.S. I know where you’re coming from :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The number you need for the Highways Agency is 08457 504030, hope this helps :wink: :sunglasses:

The Highway Man:
The number you need for the Highways Agency is 08457 504030, hope this helps :wink: :sunglasses:

You mean 0121 - 335 8300?

Non-geographic numbers, no thanks. I want to use my free minutes! :wink: