VOSA, Facebook.. Targeting Curtainsiders this Crimbo?

Sorry if this is old news but just found VOSA on facebook and their latest post is aimed at curtainsiders.
With the seasonal increase in RDC traffic reckon they could be planning a purge on curtainsiders for some easy cash, or should I say to improve road safety…

As its facebook they do seem to attract a fair bit of abuse :slight_smile:
facebook.com/pages/VOSA-CHE … 2458072350

Operators will need to pay particular attention to curtain-sided trailers. VOSA’s advice to industry is that curtain-sides should not be thought of as a restraint system. Loads carried in curtain-sided vehicles should be secured appropriately, without using the curtains as part of the securing system.

Well if it ain’t secured :wink: I’d like to see how walkers chrisp will do as they don’t strap anything since they removed all straps from all vehicles.

nick2008:
Well if it ain’t secured :wink: I’d like to see how walkers chrisp will do as they don’t strap anything since they removed all straps from all vehicles.

And a pallet of crisps weighs ■■?

I know for a fact a certain Scottish operator doing a certain overnight pallet run in double deckers isn’t strapping anything down… and they are carrying massive oil and gas platform parts… agricultural tractors … etc and the reason being they dont have the time. With first hand experience I can tell you that if you so much as stop for a p!sh the office is on the phone pestring you!

You’ll have strap your johnson to your leg just to get in the cab next.

Operators will need to pay particular attention to curtain-sided trailers. VOSA’s advice to industry is that curtain-sides should not be thought of as a restraint system. Loads carried in curtain-sided vehicles should be secured appropriately, without using the curtains as part of the securing system.

So is it the law, or is it just advice, which we would be free to disregard in favour of our own experience? VOSA could do with being clearer on this …

Thats definitely not a VOSA page.

Someone taking the ■■■■

Their advice is, " should be secured appropriately", crisps, bog roll will be secured appropriately with the curtains pulled and no side straps, I.M.H.O.
But why can`t they tell us what they expect instead of leaving it to rumour. What I think is appropriate may differ from someone else.

What gives it away as being bogus then?

Surely, someone pretending to be VOSA would fall foul of current “impersonation” laws or something? :confused:

“Curtains are not restraints”? - Does that include “Load Bearing Curtains” I wonder… :smiling_imp:
What about “Load Bearing Straps”? :smiley:

“Sorry Bud, these straps are not of EU standard. Here’s a £240 fine for you.” :smiling_imp:

VOSA from what I can gather are a bit of a law unto themselves but the guidelines and how the infringements are calculated can be found at this link.

fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_ … curity.pdf

2480-load-security-matrix-3_original_crop.jpg

Light palletised goods i.e pallets of crisps would need internal strapping as a bare minimum and even that could lead to an advisory.

Ridiculous maybe an understatement but remember to undo the internal straps before hitting the bay or the forkies could be in a right mess.

trubster:
Thats definitely not a VOSA page.

Someone taking the ■■■■

I tried to be carefull but funnily enough the ’ I Hate VOSA’ page has loads more likes:
facebook.com/pages/I-hate-V … 0061151961

Thanks for that link Tipper Dave, interesting quote from it… “NB: For curtainsided vehicles carrying light palletised and extremely light loads, the curtains could feasibly be considered
to constitute a sufficient restraint mechanism in their own right.”

Of interest to me as I carry crisps among other stuff!

Anyway, it still comes down to an opinion doesnt it? How are we to understand where the line is to be drawn? If a VOSA guy says its insufficient and I say its ok, it hasnt fallen off or moved and I have 38 yrs experience behind me, he can still issue a penalty, but if I choose to take it further somebody has to implement a system of measurement in order to pursue the case surely?
There is no crime in this country that Im aware of where in *someones opinion* your breaking the law. You are usually either breaking it or not breaking it. I picked up a load of shrink wrapped boxes yesterday, they werent crisps or bog roll, but they werent steel ingots either, in my opinion they didnt need strapping. I was proved right when I arrived safely home with them all still intact.
Nothing in that link, although a very helpful insight, clarifies anything.

cheekymonkey:
Thanks for that link Tipper Dave, interesting quote from it… “NB: For curtainsided vehicles carrying light palletised and extremely light loads, the curtains could feasibly be considered
to constitute a sufficient restraint mechanism in their own right.”

Cheers I missed that in the small print, some degree of common sense has been applied but this NB is notably absent in another link.

fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloa … 120307.pdf

Sheesh! I`m not going to pretend that I understand any of that, but they seem to have something against lashing to ropehooks!

(6) This is always poor practice but there may be no other suitable attachment
points.

What the heck are they for?

How come Iv`e been in this job for so long yet know so little about it?

I asked about this stuff on my DCPC traning day on “load security”. Didn`t get anything approaching an answer.

The whole job has been dumbed down to fit the One Size Fits All mentality of modern day H & S requirements.
Not only do we already have armed forces, police forces etc., there’s now a veritable army of other “officers”, cameras everywhere, council spies and interfering nobheads bent on self - importancy.
This is just how ■■■■ Germany started…

Check this link…
donbur.co.uk/eng/features/EN12642XL.php

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry if this is old news but just found VOSA on facebook and their latest post is aimed at curtainsiders.
With the seasonal increase in RDC traffic reckon they could be planning a purge on curtainsiders for some easy cash, or should I say to improve road safety…

As its facebook they do seem to attract a fair bit of abuse :slight_smile:
facebook.com/pages/VOSA-CHE … 2458072350

Quite comical, the post about strapping the load in a chipliner, because curtainsiders aren’t load bearing, according to VOStApo.
There is an official European guide relating to load security, best practices published, was posted on here a few weeks ago, which does actually show how to restrain different loads.
Now, I would guess that if loads were secured to what is recommended in the European guide, you won’t go far wrong, it even approves the use of load restraining curtains.
VOSA, are a waste of space, yes they will offer advice on security, once they have stopped you, but will also do you as well.

Trukkertone:

nick2008:

And a pallet of crisps weighs ■■?

You’d be surprised what’s behind them curtains Not just Crisps you know

axletramp:
This is just how ■■■■ Germany started…

Is this nothing like how the ■■■■ party started… It’s a about putting a few straps on a loaded lorry not exactly an entire national that’s had its dignity and the rest removed from it as you describe.

What about foam blocks/cushions and matttesses.
You do not secure them but according to the lads that haul them it is only an offence when Vosa open the curtains and get hit on the head with a block of foam or matress.