VOSA "experts"

Two triaxle trailers went for test today,both passed but came back with advisories on the tag sheet.

“inboard axle 2 tyre tread low”

Both had a minimum of 6 mill across the full face of the tread (super singles)
Neither had had a recut or had any tread damage.

Still thought the law was 1 mm across threequarters of tread face?

A tyre is either road legal or its not.

Maybe this “expert” is moonlighting for Continental.

It’s an ’ advisory’ ,NOT for your benefit but for their bosses to ensure it is considered they are doing their job attentively,Civil Service malarky,move on.

Advisories stil run against your O licence
who do you appeal against when the pricks are running the asylum
never thought I would ever say this but the sooner hgv testing is privatised the better.
because the monkeys that run it at the moment are to put it politely [zb]who know [zb]

Armagedon:
It’s an ’ advisory’ ,NOT for your benefit but for their bosses to ensure it is considered they are doing their job attentively,Civil Service malarky,move on.

Your right but the bloody “advisory” still counts against your O licence.
Scuse my French but these [zb]shouldnt be given a licence to judge X factor
never mind a trucks road worthinesss.[zb] chancers and [zb]artists.

If you’ve got super singles HOW can you have one on the inboard with an advisory?

5 mill can soon be gone as said advisory

If on trailer doesnt go against olicence as trailers arnt registered on ol

On truck does matter and i would argue it

mucker85:
If you’ve got super singles HOW can you have one on the inboard with an advisory?

Hoped you could tell me?

gettin-on:

Try getting a few mot fails on trailers or a couple of PG9s and see who comes knocking on your door.Sure as hell wont be the Glee club.

gettin-on:

:laughing: :laughing: That’s a good one :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Every operators licence I’ve seen states how many vehicles and how many trailers !!!

Dave the Renegade:
Every operators licence I’ve seen states how many vehicles and how many trailers !!!

this is very true, but, with prime movers, it asks for registration numbers

whereas, with trailers, it doesn’t, it just asks how many

but, that said…

gettin-on:

is still talking ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

Bking:

mucker85:

Hoped you could tell me?

The same examiner might do you for not having any coolant in an air cooled engine :wink:

Bking:

gettin-on:

Try getting a few mot fails on trailers or a couple of PG9s and see who comes knocking on your door.Sure as hell wont be the Glee club.

Whats a PG 9,■■?, In my days of running a haulage Co they GV 9s, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Whats a PG 9,■■?, In my days of running a haulage Co they GV 9s, Regards Larry.

A PG9 is the new version of a GV9 Larry, that’s all.
They’ve not been in long, only 10 years or so :slight_smile:

as an ex mot tester, i can see what most likely happened, i’m not sure how long an mot on a trailer take’s, but on a car it take’s 40/60 min’s from logging in to logging out. and on a busy day, i couldn’t tell you what it tested this time yeterday, never mind the last vehicle i tested 2 test’s ago, unless it was anything good, i.e unusuall car or a real ■■■■■■■■

at time’s i’ve gotten confused on 2 different thing’s, not long after i stated testing, i did a transit mot and then a ka, i tried to advise the rear leaf spring had slightly worn shackle bush’s… i spotted it before i printed it off, but i know of some people who do this and don’t double check and just print, sign the paper work and give it to the customer with out looking through it…

This was discussed previously and I was of the opinion that trailer test fails were not recorded on OCRS as, unlike vehicles, they do not have an operators disc displayed. (Operator licences do include vehicles and trailers but this is generally down to yard suitability etc as there is actually no financial requirement for trailers ie if applying for a licence for one unit and 400 trailers - not saying they’d grant it without question - but technically you would only have to have the same financial standing as just one 7.5t rigid. I don’t know if VOSA think fairies do the trailer maintenance but that’s the way it stands currently). It’s also possible for someone like a manufacturer to own and maintain a fleet of trailers and hold no o-licence at all.

This has been confirmed by them that they are not included in this document published last October, so save your money on unnecessary trailer voluntary brake tests before the MOT. :laughing:

Q. Are trailers counted towards my OCRS Score?
A. Trailer details are not allocated to operators at the annual test because of the difficulty in
allocating trailers to operators. However, any prohibitions that are issued at the roadside are
included and allocated to the vehicle drawing the trailer

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/O … t%2012.pdf

nick2008:

Unlikely before the next PMI. :unamused:

nick2008:

on a rear axle maybe, but, not on the centre axle

that is why most people put a cut tyre on the centre, it lasts longer :wink:

I took a truck in for test and tgey put an advisory on for the tacho been due for the two year check the following month.
Ridiculos its either in date or out of date.