VOSA "experts"

kr79:
I took a truck in for test and tgey put an advisory on for the tacho been due for the two year check the following month.
Ridiculos its either in date or out of date.

i would have asked him to remove that there and then, it is only an advisory if it is out of 2 year calibration, fail if out of 6 year calibration though

kr79:
I took a truck in for test and tgey put an advisory on for the tacho been due for the two year check the following month.

This is in the police training manual. Remember when you were a kid, the coppers would clip your ear and threaten to tell your parents even though you had done nothing wrong.

Just be careful next time. :laughing:

shuttlespanker:

kr79:

i would have asked him to remove that there and then, it is only an advisory if it is out of 2 year calibration, fail if out of 6 year calibration though

This was a good few years back and wasnt my lorry and didnt know about it affecting o licences etc

shuttlespanker:

Dave the Renegade:
Every operators licence I’ve seen states how many vehicles and how many trailers !!!

this is very true, but, with prime movers, it asks for registration numbers

whereas, with trailers, it doesn’t, it just asks how many

but, that said…

gettin-on:
If on trailer doesnt go against olicence as trailers arnt registered on ol

On truck does matter and i would argue it

is still talking ■■■■■■■■ :wink:

How am i talking bollox ■■

As operator yourself you will know upto recently you dont add trl c numbers to olicence now is voluntry
So if a trl at mot passes or fails its not recorded against a olicence as they dont know who licence it registered to

Prohibtion up road different goes against olice of pulling unit
So if i pulled your trailer got prohibition on it it would go against my licence not yours

Bking:

gettin-on:
If on trailer doesnt go against olicence as trailers arnt registered on ol

On truck does matter and i would argue it

Try getting a few mot fails on trailers or a couple of PG9s and see who comes knocking on your door.Sure as hell wont be the Glee club.

Prohibtions yes but trailers no
Or if you keep getting prohibitions on trls they will look into it yes
But just from mot see above

Trl could say joe bloggs onside doesnt mean it his

So why fill in service sheets for trailers every 12 weeks?

If a trailer is found with defective brakes at the scene of a fatal what VOSA going to do.

Blame the bloke driving the tractor,blame the trailer manufacturer

No they are going to blame the operator who has the trailer “C” number logged to them.

The trailer is the “big” part of the outfit and they will want to see its history and woe betide you if you have any problems at test time or road side pulls.

Bking:
So why fill in service sheets for trailers every 12 weeks?

If a trailer is found with defective brakes at the scene of a fatal what VOSA going to do.

Blame the bloke driving the tractor,blame the trailer manufacturer

No they are going to blame the operator who has the trailer “C” number logged to them.

The trailer is the “big” part of the outfit and they will want to see its history and woe betide you if you have any problems at test time or road side pulls.

Effectively voluntary to register them. Plenty of trailers out there owned by companies with no o-licence at all, no o-licence therefore no undertaking on maintenance to a TC.

When trailers are bought and sold they’re just dragged out of some field, well out of test, and delivered, generally no inspection or MOT. If you do traction only work, apart from check for an MOT disc in date, there’s really not a lot you can do beyond giving it the once over and taking it at face value it’s been reasonably maintained. The unit does the lion’s share of the braking anyway so unless there was total trailer brake failure, low effort on a couple of wheels of a tri-axle isn’t probably going to be the difference between an accident and not.

“the unit does the lions share of the braking”■■?
Try loading a tri axle to full axle weight,dont bother putting on the yellow line,run it up to 50 or 60 km/hr and slam the brakes on.

Then we will see which does the lions share!!!

In the dry on a good surface not nearly the drama you imagine. It’s the same as a car eating through front pads compared to rears.

Bking:
“the unit does the lions share of the braking”■■?
Try loading a tri axle to full axle weight,dont bother putting on the yellow line,run it up to 50 or 60 km/hr and slam the brakes on.

Then we will see which does the lions share!!!

Farmers do this the whole time.

Not saying dont service and keep records
But a trailer mot is NOT recorded against o licence at present and never has been

If trailer was involved in a fatal it will go against o licence of pulling unit