Volvo range change gearbox

Howdy all,I need a bit of help! I have a driving assessment next week in a Volvo fh12 with the manual box but have never used one as did my test in a scania with a 4 over 4. I’ve watched a few vids so know that the side switch does low and hi and the front switch is the splitter but what I’m wondering is a) do you use the clutch going from say 2 low to 2 hi and b) what’s a preferred shifting pattern from a stand still? Eg 1 lo to 2 hi and so on? Cheers

Dipping the clutch will bring the half gears in and out.

Unless you are going uphill fully laden from a standing start, 1 low is pointless.

2 low is more likely to be a realistic starting point.

hi and low is on the front and the splitter is on the side, if you pre select the splitter switch it will change when you dip the clutch

I find this post hillarious :laughing:
We have a man asking how to change gear in a manual truck, it shows how the world is changing :laughing:
It’s a truck, if you can’t figure out a damm gear box you need to find another job.

Pat Hasler:
We have a man asking how to change gear in a manual truck, it shows how the world is changing :laughing:
It’s a truck, if you can’t figure out a damm gear box you need to find another job.

I expected better from someone with your experience Pat, what is the bloke supposed to do■■? Not ask and then look at tool on his assessment, or do some research, ask a few questions and be as prepared as possible.

You will know as well as anyone that there are many different types of gearbox used in HGV’s so maybe you could just give a bit of advice or better still don’t say anything.

Not Hard is it but in simle terms for you to get through assetment .

low range is on front of the stick oblivliosly down with switch is low amd up is high . switch on side spits can flick it as many times as you like but untill clutch is used it wont activate .

i only use first when loaded 60t onwards or if on hill

volvo 12speed is as easy as it gets

who is the assetment with not many use volvo with a stick these days

Pat Hasler:

wasn’t it you the other week that didn’t know what to do with the usb input on your tune box? i didn’t take the ■■■■, just told you what to do :unamused:

When you get in the cab with the assessor just tell him that youve never driven a box like this before and he will show you the basics, Well he shud if he doin his job properly! They dont expect you to know everything anything your not sure about ask better to do that make a hash of things.

When you get in the cab with the assessor just tell him that youve never driven a box like this before and he will show you the basics, Well he shud if he doin his job properly! They dont expect you to know everything anything your not sure about ask better to do that make a hash of things.

This depends on load/hp but as a general rule you should just keep in hi split in the low-range gears. The splitter is used more in the higher gears.

NewLad:

Pat Hasler:

I expected better from someone with your experience Pat, what is the bloke supposed to do■■? Not ask and then look at tool on his assessment, or do some research, ask a few questions and be as prepared as possible.

You will know as well as anyone that there are many different types of gearbox used in HGV’s so maybe you could just give a bit of advice or better still don’t say anything.

I agree, how’s does anyone learn if not by asking :question:

Better to ask here and get the basics than go to the assessment looking like a fool.

NewLad:

Pat Hasler:

I agree and am truly sorry if I offended the lad, I just find it strange to ask how to change gears, it’s obviously different now with automatic boxes etc.
It is really just a matter of looking at the gearbox layout diagram which every truck I ever drove has in plain sight. It’s much easier over there even with a box where you have to change manually because they has syncrmesh boxes, no double clutching or clutchless changing.
Once again … Sorry young man :blush:

Pat Hasler:

NewLad:

Pat Hasler:
Once again … Sorry young man :blush:

pat, at least you’ve apologised pal :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Pat Hasler:

If I wasn’t having a assessment I would just figure it out myself, but this is the first employer that hasn’t hung up/said not enough experience since passing my class 1 last month, (8 years class 2 doesn’t get you very far when your looking for a class 1 job! :unamused:) so obviously I want to make the right impression.

Cheers PSV8 it’s for a small company in Westbury, they use flat trailers so a lot of roping and sheeting which is right up my street so lets just hope this assessment goes ok.

And cheers to everyone one else for the usefull information.

Oh yes and pat I don’t have a problem with manual boxes seeing as though my previous lorry had a Eaton twin splitter and my daily driver is a Series 2 landy with no synchro between 1st and 2nd…

they are easy enough to use .its funny at our place to watch a scnia driver get in a volvo the gears are completly oppersite try to pull away with 70 ton on in 3rd ha ha

terratology:

Pat Hasler:

If I wasn’t having a assessment I would just figure it out myself, but this is the first employer that hasn’t hung up/said not enough experience since passing my class 1 last month, (8 years class 2 doesn’t get you very far when your looking for a class 1 job! :unamused:) so obviously I want to make the right impression.

Cheers PSV8 it’s for a small company in Westbury, they use flat trailers so a lot of roping and sheeting which is right up my street so lets just hope this assessment goes ok.

Oh yes and pat I don’t have a problem with manual boxes seeing as though my previous lorry had a Eaton twin splitter and my daily driver is a Series 2 landy with no synchro between 1st and 2nd…

Tell you what my man, if roping and sheeting is right up your street and they run flats, I guarantee you get that job pound to a penny, those range change boxes are awesome, I used to love them…

JLS Driver SOS:

terratology:

Pat Hasler:

Tell you what my man, if roping and sheeting is right up your street and they run flats, I guarantee you get that job pound to a penny, those range change boxes are awesome, I used to love them…

Yes I agree, if you love roping and sheeting they will buy you the truck off your choice.

andy12:

^^ This

I’d say as a rule, you ARE going to start in 1st - most likely 1H though rather than 1L - since they like to see that you’re not going to kill the clutch, it’ll probably be on a sticker in the windscreen.

3 over 3 is actually a really nice box, was very common on Scania and was reasonably common on Volvo.

1st is lightly push left and back, push too hard and you’re in crawler gear.

As they get worn, reverse can be a pain, so if it doesn’t feel like it’s gone in, keep the pressure on whilst slowly releasing the clutch, you should feel it catch.

For driving, most likely 1H, 3L, 3H, 4H, 5H, 6L, 6H - but it won’t take you long to know what gear it wants, and it’ll be 2nd nature to you. Just don’t go for 1st in the usual spot because if you do select a gear there, it’ll be reverse :open_mouth:

Tune into the truck - it’ll let you know how to get the best out of it - bit like an older woman…ooops sorry :blush:

Socketset:
Tune into the truck - it’ll let you know how to get the best out of it - bit like an older woman…ooops sorry :blush:

I should be fine then seeing my missus is 8 years older than me at nearly 43! :wink: