Volvo range change gearbox

Pat Hasler:
I find this post hillarious :laughing:
We have a man asking how to change gear in a manual truck, it shows how the world is changing :laughing:
It’s a truck, if you can’t figure out a damm gear box you need to find another job.

I have never been embaresed to ask another driver for advice. Better to ask than damage something!

waynedl:

andy12:
When you get in the cab with the assessor just tell him that youve never driven a box like this before and he will show you the basics, Well he shud if he doin his job properly! They dont expect you to know everything anything your not sure about ask better to do that make a hash of things.

^^ This

I’d say as a rule, you ARE going to start in 1st - most likely 1H though rather than 1L - since they like to see that you’re not going to kill the clutch, it’ll probably be on a sticker in the windscreen.

3 over 3 is actually a really nice box, was very common on Scania and was reasonably common on Volvo.

1st is lightly push left and back, push too hard and you’re in crawler gear.

As they get worn, reverse can be a pain, so if it doesn’t feel like it’s gone in, keep the pressure on whilst slowly releasing the clutch, you should feel it catch.

For driving, most likely 1H, 3L, 3H, 4H, 5H, 6L, 6H - but it won’t take you long to know what gear it wants, and it’ll be 2nd nature to you. Just don’t go for 1st in the usual spot because if you do select a gear there, it’ll be reverse :open_mouth:

Isn’t that the scania layout? Effectively 2, 3, 4. Where Volvo is a 1, 2, 3 layout (using a 4 speed H pattern)

I wouldn’t bother splitting 3rd

In a 4 series scania the 4 over 4 range change switch becomes the splitter switch in the 3 over 3

The above is the Scania layout. Scania has gears 1 and 3 to the back. Volvo has 1 and 3 to the front. It will be on the tip of the lever. Range change on the front and changes as you go through neutral. Splitter on the side and changes when clutched. That’s the left pedal lol!! 2nd/L should be plenty for moving off loaded or empty on reasonable ground. Best of luck

Its just another sign of the times Pat, in our day we didn’t have such things as TNUK on which to ask such q’s. I remember having recently passed my HGV 3 on a Bedford MK I’d heard about these multi speed boxes on ‘civvy wagons’ so collared a Broads Tpt dvr to show me the set up in his W reg F12, splitter on dash, seemed very confusing! About a year later, 85, and I was charging accross Norway in a nearly new 385 intercooler, SR70, dogs danglys, happy days.