Volvo or premium

Getting a new wagon on monday.
I’ve got a choice between a 57 plate volvo fh 480, or a new Renault premium with 600km on the clock.
I’m stuck with what’s best. What would you go for, and why.
Don’t do many nights out really, and just on container work.

I was given a Renault Premiem a year ago, was told it was Volvo underneath the cab. Well TBH I found it uncomfortable, big hump in the middle, cruise control constantly failed, armrest kept falling off. Had Abs problems, which to be fair was probably the trailor. The layout could be better, Radio in a silly place and very little locker space.
I have swapped another driver to have my old reliable Actros back. Lots of storage and cab space , less pulling power, but I can accept that.
Can’t say about the Volvo, but I would avoid the Renault.

Might as well take that new truck while the goings good, Volvo should be on 500k or possibly much more by now, probably smoked in and slept in, definately ■■■■■■ in.

Oohh that’s a tough one. Best bet would be too see if you could have a day or two in each and then decide for yourself. If you’re not doing nights out, I would lean towards the new premium as the hump in the middle is a pain but only if you’re kipping in it. It would just come down to how I got on with the different switch gear I suppose & how clean the FH was inside.

I’d take the premium every time. Certainly a very under rated motor

Possibly one of the easiest motors to drive on the market.
Ok so the humps a bit of a pain but you learn to live with it even on nights out. Not the greatest storage space although even that’s not a major issue, and believe me I carry some sort of stuff :blush: but then again I only had one bunk in my latest one.
I’ve an 18 month old 460 with over 200k km on it now, and never had an issue with it. Gear change is swift, very responsive underfoot, quick off the mark and pulls really well fully freighted.
Good all round vision, minimal blind spots behind the mirrors. Seats comfortable, bit short of leg room, even for me at 5ft 7"…

I’ve had 5 premiums in the last 10 years, and the only thing I’d swap for is an Iveco Stralis.

[quote=“Kate”
I’ve had 5 premiums in the last 10 years, and the only thing I’d swap for is an Iveco Stralis.[/quote]
God you were doing so well till that masochistic gem popped up… :open_mouth: :wink:

Premium is fine for day work and one night out a week but thats it. I’d take the fh without thought, quick clean up and will be good as new, not everyone trashes their motor you know.

Thanks for replys the fh is the gaffers own motor, so it’s been looked after. My last truck was an actros mp2, so I think I’m going to have the fh.
Don’t think I will like being in a premium after the merc.
We don’t do many nights out, but saying that if work picks up I could be out all week.
When I got my kit out of the actors this morning, didn’t realise how much crap I’ve collected in the 12 month I’ve had my class 1, I don’t know we’re I would put everything in the premium.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Between the 2 I’d go for a Volvo any day, I don’t like French motors, they look very ugly…

Snarley:
I was given a Renault Premiem a year ago, was told it was Volvo underneath the cab. Well TBH I found it uncomfortable, big hump in the middle, cruise control constantly failed, armrest kept falling off. Had Abs problems, which to be fair was probably the trailor. The layout could be better, Radio in a silly place and very little locker space.
I have swapped another driver to have my old reliable Actros back. Lots of storage and cab space , less pulling power, but I can accept that.
Can’t say about the Volvo, but I would avoid the Renault.

if you had the retarder stick clicked down the cruise doesn’t work. i got a 3 1/2 month old premium with 70k on the clock and it hasn’t skipped a beat. only do one or two nights out so its ample for me. radio isn’t a problem as controls on the steering rack. there isn’t much room around the seat and i do find resting my right arm uncomfortable as the door panel slopes away. given this or a scania i would choose the premium hands down

The FH! No contest! :wink:

fingers:
given this or a scania i would choose the premium hands down

Whattt, that’s an insult right there, renault over scanny-no chance…lol :smiley:

Definatly the Volvo, without even thinking about it.

Madguy :smiling_imp:

Why has an engine hump suddenly been a major inconvienience?? Great for putting your feet up on, making a cup of coffee or sorting paperwork!

drivers seem to have been spoilt with flat floors of late…

Derf:
Why has an engine hump suddenly been a major inconvienience?? Great for putting your feet up on, making a cup of coffee or sorting paperwork!

drivers seem to have been spoilt with flat floors of late…

Pain in tha ■■■ for moving around in the cab.
The Big Actros is the nuts.

Pimpdaddy:

fingers:

Whattt, that’s an insult right there, renault over scanny-no chance…lol :smiley:

mines doing 2 to the gallon more than the scanias on the fleet and when you approach a island and want to go the gearbox finds a gear :wink:

jonboy

fingers:

Pimpdaddy:

fingers:

mines doing 2 to the gallon more than the scanias on the fleet and when you approach a island and want to go the gearbox finds a gear :wink:

jonboy

Auto yes! But not when you’ve got a manual! :grimacing:

Actros 9.1 mpg
Renault 8.2
Yes the hump is annoying, once you have had an Actros where you can stand up to get changed like a normal human being, you would never go back.
If the choice is french or swedish, I like Abba.

dessy:

+1. :smiley:

truckertang:

dessy:

+1. :smiley:

+2 no contest