Volvo or Daf?

I have a choice of two trucks, a Volvo FH12 Globetrotter or a Daf XF 95 Superspace, both 6x2 and with similar engine sizes.

I have driven FH12s for years but haven’t ever had a Daf.

If you have driven both, and had this choice, which would you choose and why?

I hear DAF gearboxs are really smooth but in this day and age I guess they’re both auto’s? That being said, Volvo is known to have a really good box too.

I’ve driven both, and I think that they are both top notch trucks. The DAF has a little more leg room tham the volvo, and the bunk is more comfortable, but there is not a lot to choose between them. The volvo is probably a better finished truck, although the new ones i’ve been driving this week are not perfect. The passenger seat, being a fold away type, rattles like mad when you hit a bumpy road,and the drivers door tends to need a hefty bang to get it to shut properly.
If your used to a volvo, then the I shift will suit you, but the DAF autobox is good. If your going to spend a lot of time tramping, then the volvo FH with a single bunk has bags of storeage space.
If I personally had to choose, i would go with the DAF simply because i have driven more of them and feel comfortable with one, also, the bunk is super comfy!

Having driven and lived in both it’s a close call but I would go with the Volvo.

I drive an XF Superspace cab and really cant fault it, ive also drove a volvo a long time ago and there both good but if your spending lots of nights out id need say the daf would win hands down, The bed in the daf in my opinion is bigger and certainly more comfortable…

I’d go for the Volvo. I just dislike dafs I think the build quality is poor they always seem under powered and just not nice to drive. The only good thing is the bed.

DAF every time. The Volvo cab layout is a day older than snot! Raked windscreen reduces space, hump in floor, top bunk about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I would move into a Daf today given the chance.

Coffeeholic:
Having driven and lived in both it’s a close call but I would go with the Volvo.

I’ve nearly lived in both but mine was just a space cab and to be honest I’d take a normal space cab over a Volvo let alone a Super. DAF is a much much better truck to live in. Dare I say it probably the best.

Cant comment on volvo’s never had the pleasure, DAF’s have the most comfortable bunk I’ve ever slept in bar none and plenty cab storage, I’d love another one

blimey thats a toughy :confused:
i’d rater drive the VOLVO but the DAF does have the better bunk, although both are much of a muchness, VOLVO just edges it for me because the I-shift is second to none in gearbox terms & unfortunately most of the DAF’s ive driven have been plagued with AD-blu problems :cry:

For me, the decision would be based on the Job in hand.

The Volvo are good but not to live in, the DAF is huge.

The i-shift is great, but cannot comment about the DAF variomatic :stuck_out_tongue:

bigdennis:
DAF every time. The Volvo cab layout is a day older than snot! Raked windscreen reduces space, hump in floor, top bunk about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I would move into a Daf today given the chance.

the daf cab is older than the volvo!
hump in the floor keeps dust and muck of your boots in the footwell so not in the middle
raked screen reduces space, fair point but i’ve never felt the need to do star jumps between the drivers seat and the bed
its volvo for me by far ( i think the volvo will be a better drive and the daf has more space)

If they’re both manual = DAF
If one of them is manual = that one
If both are auto = Volvo

The auto box in the DAF is the biggest of ■■■■■ going. Forget pulling out onto busy roundabouts as it puts you in no-man’s land for a full 3 seconds between gear changes.

Space wise both of them are fairly easily workable. I’ve “tramped” in both (SC DAF, not SSC) and there was plenty of mobility and space for everything, even for someone of my lankyness. Really good mattress in the DAF XF as well - can sleep better on that than in my own bed at home. :open_mouth: Volvo bunk in the GTs is horrible and very uncomfy. Volvo has the near-flat floor going for it which is nice, but tbh the huge engine hump in the XF really isn’t a problem as you can put your stuff on there and the big under dash tray is very useful too, not to mention the cavern under the bunk where whole countries can be lost :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . Also the hump is just the right height to rest your feet on when you’re sat on the bunk. I’m a big lover of the FHs but if the XF has a stirrer then I’d take that out of the 2. :slight_smile:

The DAF has more room especially the Super Space but there’s still plenty in the Volvo. I much prefer the Volvo, they feel so well built.

I measure a trucks performance by fatigue.
The Volvo left me feeling fresher at the end of the day.
Volvo for me.

Stick with what you know.

Luckily I have driven both and it would have to be the Daf for me. It just seems an all round more well built vehicle. One of the things I remember about them both was the closing the door test. When closing the door on the Volvo it closed with a really tinny sound whereas the Daf closed with a nice thunk. Apart from that there is little between them. They both drive and handle well and have great gearboxes. Really in my opinion there is only a cigarette papers width between them, but for me it would be the Daf.

I drive a daf 85cf space cab. it brill and storage is ace so i would imagine the 95/105 if as good/better. the auto box is not the best as said but when you get used to the lag it works ok.
sleep over drive…a difficult choice and as for scania forget it lol.

I am lucky enough to have access to both a manual 05 plate XF 480 Super Space cab and a top of the range 55 plate Volvo FH 13 520 with the I shift.

I used to drive the DAF to and from Almeria and I never wanted the Volvo which was driven by someone else then.
The DAF is, as said, huge and therefore ideal for living in.
There is a massive amount of cupboard space, much of which can be reached from the driver’s seat, though you have to stand up. None of the top cupboards in the Volvo can be reached without standing in the middle,leaving not much storage at all within easy reach (it has a fridge under the bunk).
The top bunk in the DAF is big enough to be comfortable and better still, you can drive the truck with it down, giving even more acres of storage if you are single crewed.
The top bunk in the Volvo is in the way even when folded up.

Now, I am doing local work,a fair bit of which is in town and the Volvo is better suited.
It doesn’t matter that I can’t reach the storage or that all the space above the windscreen is outside the cab :frowning: and the I shift is a godsend.

The DAF has better dipped beam headlights, probably why you see so many Volvo truck with their foglights on at night.
The Volvo has better mirrors.
Less important, perhaps, the DAF has the best radio/CD player sound quality I have ever heard in any vehicle ever.
I would say you have a choice between the excellent and the superb.
You wouldn’t regret choosing the DAF but you should make your choice based on what type of work you will be doing.

Regards,
Nick.

Thanks for the replies so far, I am leaning towards the Daf simply because I have driven 10 or 12 Volvo FH12s over the years and while I do think they are an excellent truck, I fancy trying something different.

If I was to say that the Daf is about six years old, was originally supplied by Cardiff Daf Truck Centre, has had one owner, has 550,000km on the clock and has a number plate that ends in NYK, would anyone know which fleet it has come off of and what work it has been doing?

Incidentally, I should add that I am still tramping, and out for four or five nights a week so the living aspect is as important as the driving aspect.

Also, I want to correct a minor mistake I made when I said I had never had a Daf, I drove this many years ago…

Showing my age now! :blush: