Volvo IShift problems/solutions

Blind Panic!

Driver just rang up, Truck wont select auto (just displaying N on dash).
But it must recognise something as it wont let the engine rev up when the lever is in A?

Any ideas or short term fixes?

Thanks in advance

Remove relay under dash. Think its f 15 or something like that.

It has fixed itself with the old turn it off for 10 mins.
What will removing the relay do?

Thanks.

Replace at the first opertunity the 4 power relais, and the gearbox relais, will save you a lot money.
Also for emergency swap the “intermittent wiper” relais with the gearbox relais is iirc f5 with f6

Truck has been on contract hire with Crossroads from new, i might give them a call to ask what has already been done.

One thing to bear in mind with any of these Carlos Fandango systems is that they rely heavily on electrical input, so make sure that the electrical sytem is in good shape as part of your routine maintenance programme. Start at the batteries and go from there, cleaning all the connections and ensuring that there’s a decent earth, check all the connecting plugs for integrity, that kind of thing. It only takes a tiny drop in voltage to trip out sensors and cause you a lot of headaches :wink:

Sounds like a job for Flysheet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:
Sounds like a job for Flysheet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Fly sheets top tip of the day ■■■■ the i-■■■■ sorry shift off & shove a Fuller in it problem solved.

If any moisture such as a split cup of tea get down onto the ishift plug down by the base of the drivers seat by the bonnet, it’ll cause the gear selector problem too. The fitter came out to mine, removed that plug, sprayed it with brake cleaner, refitted it and the job was sorted. I keep an old towel jammed down by the seat now to stop any liquid getting down to the plug. Dam silly place to put the plug IMO but there we go.

BB

As an asides to this I always carried a couple of spare relays for My version 2 FH as they are prone to shutting down, no point in telling You which relay as mine was LHD & would probably be different to a RHD, mine conked out twice once on that big hill just south of Exeter with a 3.5 m wide excavator on, not good on a dark morning…

caledoniandream:
Replace at the first opertunity the 4 power relais, and the gearbox relais, will save you a lot money.
Also for emergency swap the “intermittent wiper” relais with the gearbox relais is iirc f5 with f6

I knew it had a 5 in it.

fly sheet:
As an asides to this I always carried a couple of spare relays for My version 2 FH as they are prone to shutting down, no point in telling You which relay as mine was LHD & would probably be different to a RHD, mine conked out twice once on that big hill just south of Exeter with a 3.5 m wide excavator on, not good on a dark morning…

Are all the relays the same or are there a couple of different types?
My lad got back OK and it didn’t do it again, despite being on multi-drop work

I’m on about the one that shuts the engine not the i-shift chap I think it was F6 but mine was LHD, some relays are interchangeable, I was lucky I remembered someone telling Me about it so just swapped a few about & got myself going. Where I work they have 40 or so VN Volvos about 30 have i-shift & I know of 3 complete failures in the last 12 months & numerous niggles with relays etc, having said that He’s ordered 5 more with i-shift due to the mammoth warranties issued over here…

Do the VN’s have the same drivetrain as overhere like the NH?

They offer Volvo or ■■■■■■■ engines but manual gearbox is a fuller

The relays are in a crap position and subject to creep, once a month I make a point of re-seating them. To get out of a awkward spot you can put it in limp mode by pressing the E/P button and the limp button (back of the selector) together for 3 seconds, that’ll allow you to select gear 1, 3 or 5, possibly enough to get off a r/b or away from a customers gateway which is always where they seem to breakdown. Doing a soft reset sometimes will help (via the DID) and/or flick the isolation switch off for a complete 5 minutes.

Thanks for that, i will have a look for the button on the back. Whats DiD? Is that the menu in the dash?

Cold Up North:
Thanks for that, i will have a look for the button on the back. Whats DiD? Is that the menu in the dash?

Driver Information Display or the dash :slight_smile:

have you sorted this mate our 05 plate does this every now and then if its not sorted i will tell you how to get around it if it happens again,if its the same problem as ours that is

It’s not done it again, i wondered if the trigger on the shifter had stuck in a bit and the lad didn’t notice. I did 300 miles in it on Thursday without any bother.