Volvo Globetrotter F10 F12 F16

I’ve just been looking as some ‘Globey’s’ on the “Rust in Greece” thread & thought it’s about time Globetrotters had a thread of their own so I’m starting this with a couple of pic’s of my F16 which is still awaiting some work pre re-spray / light restoration.

These are the two ‘borrowed’ from the “Rust in Greece” thread;

I’d love a round headlight F12 385 Globetrotter, definately my all time favorite truck!!!

Please add your Globetrotter pics.

Ross.

E120 SVG before i got it

by the time i got it it had been sold and looked like this

I saw this in a TIR park in Albania

a couple i found on the net a while ago

my favourite motors, Danish

What about this corker

Absolutely the ultimate Truck and what a restoration it would be if you could find an early version of this truck and restore it in that livery.Wow what a dream.

Saw this at a local show in 2011

Riverstick:

Saw this at a local show in 2011

The French number plate ‘threw me’ for a second there!!

Ross.

postman paul:
Absolutely the ultimate Truck and what a restoration it would be if you could find an early version of this truck and restore it in that livery.Wow what a dream.

Here you go Paul mate,I remember this one from when I was a a kid,it was in an early Trucking International.

flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … hotostream

Someone has done a resto of that multi toned blue F12 Globetrotter, saw the pics on Facebook, it is absolutely stunning, the inside has been done out in tan leather :sunglasses:

Never had a round headlight Globetrotter, or a 385 for that matter, numerous F10s, a 330 flat top, square headlight 360s and 400s Globetrotters and Hi Lines and an F16 Globetrotter, happy memories of all of them, especially the F16, had that a couple of years and sold it for more than I paid for it, only time that’s ever happened to me, time I’ve finished with a lorry it’s usually only fit for fragging :laughing:

newmercman:
Never had a round headlight Globetrotter, or a 385 for that matter, numerous F10s, a 330 flat top, square headlight 360s and 400s Globetrotters and Hi Lines and an F16 Globetrotter

That’s mad, I had a T reg 240 F10, then an X reg 330 F12, on to an H reg 360 Hi Line, then a G reg 400 Gobstopper & now since I’ve packed in I’ve got an F16 500 ‘Globey’. Have you been stalking me, or have I been stalking you??

Ross.

It seems that way Ross, I’ve had quite a few Volvos over the years, definitely the lorry of our era :sunglasses:

In age order I’ve driven an S reg F10 240, used to do a weekend run in that, tipping and loading for an O/D to top up my money.

A 83 flat top F12 330 on paddy plates.

A couple of C reg 299 F10s, one a four wheeler with all the kit, ex Jack Daniels, the other an S ride 6 wheeler.

The the F16, only a little 470 though, not like your big 500 :laughing:

Then a hi line 360 on a G, a hi line 400 on an H, a LHD 400 Globetrotter on an H, then a K plate 360 Globetrotter that wouldn’t pull you out of bed.

Then I moved onto FHs, had a 380, a 420, a 500 turbo compound with I shift and did a few weeks on a 610 FH16 before I escaped the UK, not bad lorries, but not as memorable as the F series :wink:

I know it’s the wrong place to admit it, but I’m a Scania man really :laughing:

newmercman:

Haha, you can tell;)

Me too, as you can see :wink:

Ross. :smiling_imp:

NZ JAMIE:

postman paul:

Here you go Paul mate,I remember this one from when I was a a kid,it was in an early Trucking International.

flickr.com/photos/foden_djp/ … hotostream

Not Quite the original livery though,sill very nice and in fact I have seen that truck with a “W” plate on it.

IMG_0014.jpg

JSc00570-02.jpg

bigr250:

newmercman:

Haha, you can tell;)

You selling up mate, shame if you are :frowning:

JonB1973:

bigr250:

newmercman:

Haha, you can tell;)

You selling up mate, shame if you are :frowning:

Unfortunately yes, she’s on Ebay now :cry: :cry: :cry:

ebay.co.uk/itm/111121013420? … 1555.l2649

Ross.

I’ve had and driven a few Globetrotters in my time, but my first and favorite was my 385 A reg series 1, 4 wheeler draw bar that I used to haul tanks with, farthest one way trip was Aberdeen ( Scotland ) to Gasfa in Tunisia. Oh happy days. It had the full factory kitchen pack and I manage to get Dug Thompson to recover the seats for me and do a few other bits inside as well .

I drove my mates F16 pulling a fridge for a couple of Scotland Spain trips, which would have been more fun if I allowed to sleep for more than a couple of hours.

I later owned and drove both an F12 and F16 series 2, pulling fridges on a more leisurely job, good fun but they didn’t have the feel of my series 1.

The 12 was a mid lift and the 16 was a tag, both went well, and fairly good on fuel not many problems.

Next was an Italian reg first gen FH 500 which I went as far as the China border on many occasions as well as Muscat a few times, and Lybia. It was a 4x 2 long wheel base, pulling either a fridge or tilt, things used to fall of on regular basis, but that was down to the rough roads not the truck. google the M32 across Kazakhstan or have a look at Dave Mackies site Long haul trucking, and have a look at the roads (lol) that we used but warned if you do you’ll be there most of the day.

Second last one was an FH■■? which was on B double work pulling milk in fridges for Road Masters running Brisbane to Sydney at 73 ton gross both ways. I say it was an FH ■■? as it was a special development truck for Volvo who place high out put trucks with various companies for R+D and I was in the right place at the right time to bag it. Volvo usually had it in over the weekend for adjustments, some weeks it went like a rocket, others not so good, every where you looked it was hoked up to computers and monitoring equipment.

Last, I drove a 660 hp and going up certain drags the FH ■■? would be at least a gear and a half in front of the 660. Having said all that, if I had my pick it would be my series 1 draw bar any day.

Jeff…

hello jeff,
was your f12 rigid a factory build or a cut down artic?
looked very nice with the airbrushing.

Hi everyone, love the globies posted up so far, they will always be my favourite truck.
A while ago there were some pictures on the web of a Dutch F12 globie owned by bertus ederveen pulling for Norfolk line back in the 80’s. it was very distinctive and was called ‘the flying Dutchman’.

I keep asking around but I can’t seem to find any pictures of it any where, bertus owned several globies I think in later years but the original f12 series 1 of his was just stunning.

It was featured in trucking international in the mid 80’s but guess what, I can’t find it!

Can anyone help at all please?

Cheers, harryvr6.

Hi Andrew it was a genuine factory job, as far as I know it was the only factory series 1 F12 Globetrotter 4 x 2 ridged that was registered in the UK. It’s original owner bought it form the Bristol dealer and run it out of Redruth ■■? pulling fruit and veg to and from Cornwall. I had it for 6 years then sold it to a guy that did machinery removal, he added another axle and heavy crane, I don’t think he ran a drag with it. Not long after he had it the cab went on fire, but it couldn’t of been to bad as it still had the flying witch paint job I did on it a few years later, when I saw it on the 34 near Abingdon.
My mate ran it through DVLA in 2009 and it was still registered.

I was also a member of the Globetrotter club much to the annoyance of my mate Mark Beast, and the Western tyre brothers.
One of the first head turner Globbies that I liked was Road Raider which was Dutch and had an Indiana Jones paint theme, I never saw it at any Brit shows even though it seemed to spend a lot of time running up and down the A 1.

Jeff…

Some of my old ones

Great looking old Volvo’s Stu mate,that G reg one is a bit unusual. It has the earlier air intake up the back of the cab instead of the type that wraps around the side of the cab.

What’s the story there mate any idea?