Volvo Globetrotter F10 F12 F16

NZ JAMIE:
Great looking old Volvo’s Stu mate,that G reg one is a bit unusual. It has the earlier air intake up the back of the cab instead of the type that wraps around the side of the cab.

What’s the story there mate any idea?

Hi Jamie
As far as I’m aware that was standard as we had 2 G reg F12’s and they both had that type of stack.

Stupot:

NZ JAMIE:
Great looking old Volvo’s Stu mate,that G reg one is a bit unusual. It has the earlier air intake up the back of the cab instead of the type that wraps around the side of the cab.

What’s the story there mate any idea?

Hi Jamie
As far as I’m aware that was standard as we had 2 G reg F12’s and they both had that type of stack.

Spot on, the plastic fantastic ‘round the side’ version was first fitted to H reg’ trucks, I’ve had both G & H reg’ and only the later one had the plastic item.

Ross.

This has been put on Trucknet before.
Had the pleasure of driving this from new for Davies, Southampton.
It was fitted with the kitchen pack.

Here,s a later one. ( a rare right ■■■■■■ for Davies. )

mappo:
This has been put on Trucknet before.
Had the pleasure of driving this from new for Davies, Southampton.
It was fitted with the kitchen pack.

The best of the best, round headlight 4x2 385 intercooler with SR70 box!! Nothing on the road at the time to compare, a brilliant ride with plenty of power, space, comfort & air-con as standard!! What’s not to like??

Ross.

Hi Ross, gotta agree with you.
I,ve been driving HGV,s for 42 years now, and currently driving an FH…but I know what I,d rather
be driving. Oh to be able to turn back the clock.

mappo:
Hi Ross, gotta agree with you.
I,ve been driving HGV,s for 42 years now, and currently driving an FH…but I know what I,d rather
be driving. Oh to be able to turn back the clock.

I’m also currently ‘stamping on the pedals’ of an FH XL Trotter and without doubt they are a good truck, but back in the 80’s F12 GT’s were ground breaking trucks & totally peerless, the fury clog / wallet on a chain brigade mostly had Scania on their shirts while waiting in the doctors waiting room to have their back pain sorted!! :wink: :wink: :wink: (or in the Scania waiting room while their 141 is having pistons & liners fitted!!)

Ross.

Some off th old globetrotters I drove

Two things that I had a gripe about was… The condensation between the 2 lexan sheets on the head board, I later got round that be just painting on the outside of it. And the square head lights on my G reg F12 constantly filled up with water, even running to Spain in the summer when it didn’t rain (very much).

While I’m going on about gripes… I always had a thing about Scania drivers driving along with the side curtains half closed. Then one day I realized that if I had to drive a Scania I’d be so embarrassed about some one seeing me that I would have the curtains half closed as well…

There are still 3 series 1’s running daily in the Hobart area, I asked one of the guys if he wanted to sell it as was told the price was $30,000. To him it’s still a viable working truck that he earns his living from. I say one for sale in Deals and Wheels a few weeks back and $30,000 seems to be about the going rate. There are few 88’s going about as well the asking price is $15,000 to $20,000.
Jeff…

barkingbill:
Some off th old globetrotters I drove

A 3.8m wheelbase 4x2, a rare beast, lovely & coupled to a Trailor tilt too!! I’ve had a couple of those over the years and they were without doubt the best tilts to pull, especially if you had to open up for a crane to lift part of the load off. Yes, lovely.

Ross.

That was the most comfortable lorry I have ever drove it had deadman fuel heater and I loved it

Mark’s F12

Mark 2.jpg

and his F16

Mark F16.jpg

[/album]