Volvo F88 with a 290 cummins and twin splitter

rward:
evans of Tredegar had an 88 with a gardener 240many years ago I remember going up bath bank and passing it I thought that od me passing an 88 and the sound was funny later found out 240 regards rowly

Hiya Rowley…there was a company who did tinplate had something odd like a f88 with a atki cab i think.
Carswells rings a bell…dark blue with scroll sign writing. maybe it was an 88 with a ■■■■■■■ fitted.
i remember it going into Crown Cork at Southall. yes i heard the ■■■■■■■ roar but noticed Volvo air tanks.
John

I remember that Volvo with the Gardner 240 in John, it certainly sounded different. Best part of that truck I reckon, the oil chucked out from the Gardner would possibly slow down the cab rot that Volvo’s suffered with and give Herman another few years out of the blooming thing.

Pete.

My apologies Dan thought you mean,t the 88

Ok Greek ,I used to take granite in to the yard where this lorry stood prior to it being restored the first thing I noticed was the 290 ■■■■■■■ turbo stuck on the back end .

greek:
That is a long wheelbase Dan but I,m afraid you were wrong in one of your psts earlier, the f88 when new would have been 240 the 290,s had at that time not been introduced.
Somebody else reckons Volvo not reliable I am now semi retired &a lot of my career has been on Volvo all the models from 86,s right through all the models & reliability has never been a problem & I,m not anti ■■■■■■■ one of me favourite wagons over the years was a Ltd edition see atki 410 ■■■■■■■ Eaton twin split loved it but the times it came back on a wrecker was quite numourus. Not seen ■■■■■■■■ Powers 88 yet & I do quite a few vintage shows.

I’m not anti Volvo I’m just passing on some of the problems we had running Volvos we were lucky to get 400000ks out of the FL10s before a major engine overhaul
The FH12s we ran were even worse we had one which did just over 200000ks and it chucked a con rod through the block and Volvo wouldn’t pay towards the cost of repairs because of the high mileage we had done it a short space of time
For some other reason the 4 other FH12s we had suffered heavy oil consumption not leaking but burning
Probably the Volvo engine wasn’t up to being a fleet motor more of a one person one driver lorry

gazsa401:

greek:
That is a long wheelbase Dan but I,m afraid you were wrong in one of your psts earlier, the f88 when new would have been 240 the 290,s had at that time not been introduced.
Somebody else reckons Volvo not reliable I am now semi retired &a lot of my career has been on Volvo all the models from 86,s right through all the models & reliability has never been a problem & I,m not anti ■■■■■■■ one of me favourite wagons over the years was a Ltd edition see atki 410 ■■■■■■■ Eaton twin split loved it but the times it came back on a wrecker was quite numourus. Not seen ■■■■■■■■ Powers 88 yet & I do quite a few vintage shows.

I’m not anti Volvo I’m just passing on some of the problems we had running Volvos we were lucky to get 400000ks out of the FL10s before a major engine overhaul
The FH12s we ran were even worse we had one which did just over 200000ks and it chucked a con rod through the block and Volvo wouldn’t pay towards the cost of repairs because of the high mileage we had done it a short space of time
For some other reason the 4 other FH12s we had suffered heavy oil consumption not leaking but burning
Probably the Volvo engine wasn’t up to being a fleet motor more of a one person one driver lorry

Perhaps you had some bad ones ,now iam not a big Volvo fan but if I couldn’t get a ■■■■■■■ I’d get a Volvo the fh12 engine is nearly as good as a m11 or N14 for lasting .

Dan Punchard:

gazsa401:

greek:

Perhaps you had some bad ones ,now iam not a big Volvo fan but if I couldn’t get a ■■■■■■■ I’d get a Volvo the fh12 engine is nearly as good as a m11 or N14 for lasting .

We went on to DAFs once MAN had done away with ERF and they gave us a great service again it must be down to personal preference
But back to original post about ■■■■■■■ powered Volvos I remember I think a brewery putting a L10 290 in a F10 some years back

Dave Lawrence from uttoxeter put a l10 290 in a hi line F10 it was in trucking international also one of the Corbishleys from uttoxeter put a m11 405 in a f12 globetrotter .

Twas always the same, some clever men out there. For as long as i can remember people have modified, mixed, fixed all manner of engines, gearboxes into all manner of vehicles… A mate of mine ( no longer with us ) had a 290/88 with the TD100B engine in it after the engine had gone ■■■■ up twice, first time turbo blew, second time picked up on number 3 crank us, he fitted a 290 ■■■■■■■ in it with a 13 sp Fuller and ran it many years UK and abroad until rust caught up with him. My father in law bought a Bararrious Dodge that a local man had fitted a 290 ■■■■■■■ with Fuller 9 speed ran like a top until rust on the cab got the better of it so nothing would surprise me.

norfolk:
Twas always the same, some clever men out there. For as long as i can remember people have modified, mixed, fixed all manner of engines, gearboxes into all manner of vehicles… A mate of mine ( no longer with us ) had a 290/88 with the TD100B engine in it after the engine had gone ■■■■ up twice, first time turbo blew, second time picked up on number 3 crank us, he fitted a 290 ■■■■■■■ in it with a 13 sp Fuller and ran it many years UK and abroad until rust caught up with him. My father in law bought a Bararrious Dodge that a local man had fitted a 290 ■■■■■■■ with Fuller 9 speed ran like a top until rust on the cab got the better of it so nothing would surprise me.

Impressed! :open_mouth: Thanks for sharing that info! Any pictures of either of those two epic examples you’ve given? Robert :slight_smile:

There was a haulage company in Dagenham ( think it was Sammy Williams ) who fitted a ■■■■■■■ in an F88 matched with a twin split, I believe it all came from a transcon that was scrapped, but had a good engine, and the F88 had a blown engine but a good body, maybe someone will remember from here.

truckyboy:
There was a haulage company in Dagenham ( think it was Sammy Williams ) who fitted a ■■■■■■■ in an F88 matched with a twin split, I believe it all came from a transcon that was scrapped, but had a good engine, and the F88 had a blown engine but a good body, maybe someone will remember from here.

Truckyboy Sammie Williams fitted a Scania 110 with a ■■■■■■■ and fuller as Mr. Ken posted a photo of it on a thread on here, I think they also did it with a Scania Vabis as well and Scania were not too chuffed about it :unamused: :smiley:
cheers Johnnie

robert1952, Re the two moters I have somewhere a picture of the 88 I,ll try and find it , It was taken in Southern Spain we were both heading for Gib I ran with the lad on a few occasions . If i remember rightly it was either N or P reg, I was running a 290/88 reg HTJ894P at the time. The Dodge was ex Mortons /Brs and the lad that originaly had it was based at the side of the M6 at Cov , he with his bro ran a couple of moters, it was painted dark blue and black tidy but nothing fancy. On a different note, I was second mate on a Atki 8 legger back in the 60,s that had an AEC engine and overdrive gearbox in it out of a Mammoth Major (if i remember rightly ), went like sh… off a shovel 70mph+ even back then. Regular it carried 20t (we didnt take prisoners) eventualy it was retired after the back axle snapped in half (overdid it that day oops!). A well known local haulier was approached by a museum for a very early Leyland he had when they raised the bonnet they found it had a Gardner 4 pot in it, seeing they were dissapointed he asked them would they would like the original engine for it , they said yes, he walked across the garage lifted a sheet and there it was with not much more than delivery milage on it, He liked the chassis but hated the engine so he put Gardners in them. If he sold the moter (which was,nt very often ) he put the original engine back in.

norfolk:
robert1952, Re the two moters I have somewhere a picture of the 88 I,ll try and find it , It was taken in Southern Spain we were both heading for Gib I ran with the lad on a few occasions . If i remember rightly it was either N or P reg, I was running a 290/88 reg HTJ894P at the time. The Dodge was ex Mortons /Brs and the lad that originaly had it was based at the side of the M6 at Cov , he with his bro ran a couple of moters, it was painted dark blue and black tidy but nothing fancy. On a different note, I was second mate on a Atki 8 legger back in the 60,s that had an AEC engine and overdrive gearbox in it out of a Mammoth Major (if i remember rightly ), went like sh… off a shovel 70mph+ even back then. Regular it carried 20t (we didnt take prisoners) eventualy it was retired after the back axle snapped in half (overdid it that day oops!). A well known local haulier was approached by a museum for a very early Leyland he had when they raised the bonnet they found it had a Gardner 4 pot in it, seeing they were dissapointed he asked them would they would like the original engine for it , they said yes, he walked across the garage lifted a sheet and there it was with not much more than delivery milage on it, He liked the chassis but hated the engine so he put Gardners in them. If he sold the moter (which was,nt very often ) he put the original engine back in.

What an extraordinary story! And with all that jesting on the Bewick / ■■■■■■■ /Guy threads about folk ripping out Rolls Royce engines and implanting 240 Gardners, your story is actually true!! Thanks for replying and I look forward to some F88 pics. By the way, I assume that the Barrieros Dodge had a 9-speed Fuller in it! Robert :smiley:

hiya like all of us i driven some not so good lorries. been a bit of a spanner man i,ve nursed some for
the last few weeks of their life and they’ve been parked up. i had a 4 wheeler Bedford KM that was 9 years
old and did only 48 mph on distance work. i threshed it beyond its limit but never blew it up.
the bad side is i’ve blow 2 volvo engines up without trying.as soon as that red light flickers you,ve got to
stop fast or the cranks a goner. ive drive at least 20 Gardners and never had a bleep, i had a ■■■■■■■ loose
a valve head one time but no other blown engines…just the Volvo,s

Robert1952/3300 John, Hello lads, Yes Robert the Dodge had a 9 sp fuller in it, Ive found over the years it was a favourite with many and often replaced David Brown boxes in ERF and Atkis, in fact I had an ERF with a 180 Gardner /9sp Fuller and two speed back end. John I agree with you about Volvo cranks, never grind one waste of money never had a success with that. The TD100B engine if the oil pressure showed below 3bar when hot ,get the shells changed quick… otherwise they would pick up. If you went to buy one and it showed 4bar or above when hot, walk away odds on the old trick of putting a washer under the pressure relief valve( a 10min job ) had been carried out. The other thing was streaks of rust or water down the side of the block a sign of liner seal problems , sometimes if lucky it was the " pear drop seals " between the heads , you would soon find out which it was when you went to it and found it had hydraulicked. However if the oil was changed regular and you didnt bake them they wernt bad,except for the smoke in a morning ( if the preheat system didnt work properly ) that would put a Gardner ( with 300,000 on the clock ) to shame, oh and the turbos on the early ones…,

Hiya on one (7 year old) 88 wreck i drove, every 6 weeks or so we’ed drop the sump and emery tape the crank on 3
and 4 big end then put new shells in. the boss said that was the 2 that usually went…he was right in the end… no 4.
i must say she done a stack of miles god knows how many, when she was new she worked 24/7 for four months
running Newark to Peterborough. i bet she never got more than one oil change in that time.she was to busy working.
there was s39 fodens with 180,s running with her that never broke in that first few months. there was 18 of us out
on christmas day all wanting to drive this new fangle thing in 1973. i left and when back 7 years later to get that same 88.

image.jpg

Dan Punchard:
Dave Lawrence from uttoxeter put a l10 290 in a hi line F10 it was in trucking international also one of the Corbishleys from uttoxeter put a m11 405 in a f12 globetrotter .

Was the Dave Lawrence in the article the same guy who came from Somerset and was into tractor pulling ? cos if so he was one he… of an engineer if i remember rightly he had a tractor with a V8 Scania engine in it, god knows what horse power it used to put out.

Well he did do tractor pulling and stock cars but he’s always lived nr uttoxeter .