Volvo F88 with a 290 cummins and twin splitter

Now it turns out I know where there is such a beast and I’m guessing it didn’t leave Gothenburg with that set up and I doubt there is many like it.
This was apparently new in the Bristol area.
The current owner and myself are keen for any pics or details on it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416691745.873593.jpg

I’ve seen this lorry at Appley bridge prior to restoration ,it’s a old 290 with the turbo on the back end ,not sure it was a twin splitter though ?

Yes it is with the ■■■■■■■ in, so the owner told me.

That wagon will have been one of the early F88s imported to the UK and will go better than when it was new :laughing:
cheers Johnnie :wink:

Ben9:

Is this the one which used to be owned by Alan Holmes at Haydock?

240 Gardner:

Ben9:

Is this the one which used to be owned by Alan Holmes at Haydock?

Yes his name was mentioned.

Ex Alan Holmes from Haydock built by him.The engine was from a Guy big j :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
Ex Alan Holmes from Haydock built by him.The engine was from a Guy big j :laughing:

Wouldnt that be a Percy 240 then :smiley:

Unfortunately if Volvo had offered a optional engine choice then in my own opinion it may have found favour in our fleet
The unreliable FL10s and even worse FH12s that we operated couldn’t keep up with the 24/7 operation we ran
After a change of management we reverted back to ■■■■■■■ powered ERFs which gave a sterling service but not as reliable or bullet proof as our Gardner powered lorries we ran

Who in there right minds would fit a Gardner into Volvo with a 240 in all ready :confused:

I’m just saying in my own personal opinion and from the lorries we ran if Volvo had offered an option they might of had a foothold into the lorries we purchased

Alan Holmes and his son both now live here in NZ and have a truck repair workshop. I’ve spoken to them before about this truck,apparenty it goes very well.

Lance Biscomb:
Who in there right minds would fit a Gardner into Volvo with a 240 in all ready :confused:

Hiya…now then Lance…first you have a new fangle Volvo that you don’t like because your family have run AEC,s for years
(maybe best part of 50 years)up until 1968 30 year old lorries doing Scotch from Stoke at 34mph. so times change and you
try the new 8lxb in a Atki Borderer (big step forward) when the Atki was about 5 years old it had the cab smashed of by a
Shell tanker, the driver managed to get away with his body in just about one piece but well knocked about.(a pal of mine)
knowing this firm there was still 20-30 years life left in the Atki IF it had a cab on it.Now to this new fangle doesn’t make
any noise Volvo(well it did make a noise)clank clank clank. this was a fair machine if it had a good crankshaft and at about
£1500 was far to much to spend on any lorry…BUT you have a good Gardner engine in the Atki. well these Stoke men don’t
throw away anything useful so the 240 was put into the volvo. the back of the engine come just to back of the sleeper.
job sorted and away down the road…problem was Hartshornes found out about the transplant and wouldn’t sell Eric any
volvo parts so Eric took the Volvo badge of and put HTS on the grille…Herman Tideswell special. for some reason know one
has a photo of the lorry not as it looked any different it was just an 88…240

these are two lorries restored in the 70,s the 8 legger was used until 1968 the four wheeler is a mammoth major it was new to Bowaters…so thats how Eric… fixed the volvo up with a gardner engine… Lance you should meet Eric he’s a very very clever man
John

Hiya,heres a pic of 170F(not my photo)…she was new to W.G.Golding of Wooton -u-Edge,Glos.I have a pic of it in their colours but I’m damned if I can find it.I hope this helps,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Looks a long wheel base for its time :confused: .I have heard of that Volvo f88 with the gardner 240 in but never seen it :sunglasses:

Is it me or is that a long wheelbase ?

evans of Tredegar had an 88 with a gardener 240many years ago I remember going up bath bank and passing it I thought that od me passing an 88 and the sound was funny later found out 240 regards rowly

That is a long wheelbase Dan but I,m afraid you were wrong in one of your psts earlier, the f88 when new would have been 240 the 290,s had at that time not been introduced.
Somebody else reckons Volvo not reliable I am now semi retired &a lot of my career has been on Volvo all the models from 86,s right through all the models & reliability has never been a problem & I,m not anti ■■■■■■■ one of me favourite wagons over the years was a Ltd edition see atki 410 ■■■■■■■ Eaton twin split loved it but the times it came back on a wrecker was quite numourus. Not seen ■■■■■■■■ Powers 88 yet & I do quite a few vintage shows.

Wrong ,ey ,err which post ,I mean 290 ■■■■■■■ .