Volvo F10,F12,F16

We have recently acquired this 4x2 Wrecker - We believe it was converted from a 4x2 tractor unit in the mid-1980s by Boniface, but do not know much more about it’s recent or past history. Can anyone on here point us in the right direction to find out a little more about it?

vectisworks:
We have recently acquired this 4x2 Wrecker - We believe it was converted from a 4x2 tractor unit in the mid-1980s by Boniface, but do not know much more about it’s recent or past history. Can anyone on here point us in the right direction to find out a little more about it?

I think
Tappins were coach operators

Suedehead:

vectisworks:

I think

S reg one of the first F10s

Suedehead:

vectisworks:

I think

So are VECTIS

vectisworks:

Sure some one will add to this…
I remember the truck being “new” at Tappins workshop, a new facility built next to Didcot power station, it was white and used for their own fleet generally, however they did start doing outside work I seem to recall.
We used their work shops for brake testing the fleet at TNT, Nigel … was the foreman in the workshop
Don’t think it did a lot of work, from memory.
Not sure if Tapppins bought it converted or had it done■■? Maybe some of the lads from BRS Oxford could fill in the blanks.
Tom Tappin was the founder I think, his son…can’t recall his name…, but remember his chequed flares :smiley: :laughing:
Hope this is helpful

steelboyf10:

vectisworks:

Sure some one will add to this…
I remember the truck being “new” at Tappins workshop, a new facility built next to Didcot power station, it was white and used for their own fleet generally, however they did start doing outside work I seem to recall.
We used their work shops for brake testing the fleet at TNT, Nigel … was the foreman in the workshop
Don’t think it did a lot of work, from memory.
Not sure if Tapppins bought it converted or had it done■■? Maybe some of the lads from BRS Oxford could fill in the blanks.
Tom Tappin was the founder I think, his son…can’t recall his name…, but remember his chequed flares :smiley: :laughing:
Hope this is helpful

Paul Tappin…

B2043AE9-E95C-402F-B376-ED92025D5CF4.jpeg

I remember seeing it when delivering to Tesco Didcot,could never get a decent photo,always behind the gate at Tappins

motorman’s cafe get together, 2016

after over twenty years of service British Steel Rotherham

F16

flocko:
One of three F16 and one F12 400 new that year, pity its not pulling one of the new Barrio fridge boxes that came home that year also, but nice to see thanks for posting Flocko ex Barrio driver

An earlier one Flocko

This one was sold on to a Barrio driver by the name Lezzal as can be seen on the name plate on the grill,and the lack of the BARRIO head board,I believe in or around 1987. By the time it was sold it had been back and forth to Maidstone (muck + rust) bus and truck to try and sort out the problems with mid Axle that had a mind of its own when going backwards I have no idea were you are finding these old photos but keep them coming if you can Thanks Flocko

Buzzer

Enjoy

Kent show Maidstone muck and rust stand one of the first gobstoppers in the uk Flocko

Slumming it today, only a flat top.

Back when I started you were one of a few to get to drive one of the F12s,let alone a gobstopper, most would be starting in a F88 the work was hard with good money, but not for the faint of heart or anyone that needed 8 hours sleep a day.Dock and market work was not for everyone and drivers came and went. keep the photos coming Flocko

Hi has any one got some good pictures stories etc about F10, F12 or F16 trucks? My first experience of the mighty F 10 trucks when I went with my dad RIP down too Port Talbot. He was at the time was working for Nick Churton a small one man band from Church stretton in Shropshire.We went down in an old Atki sorry I can’t remember what engine was in it . Well we were in the steel works and my dad parked up by the side of the mighty F10 . The driver let me in his truck . Bloody hell it was like comparing a rolls royce to a ford ■■■■■■ .I couldn,t believe the diference Comfy seats , sleeper cab and a heater that worked , I had been in a F88 and F86 but this was a league higher again !! Tony

Heres a few F10’s/12’s for you sir, I did’nt own this beauty but did borrow for a few trips, it made me itch as the interior was a kind of blue fur!!!

Fly sheet