Volvo Dual Clutch

So the other day I read something about someone ordering dual clutch Volvos in Truckstop news so I tweet how I’d love a go in one, and low and behold just over a week later Volvo have Lent me one for two weeks and it was in yard waiting for me in return for reviewing it. So I’ll do a written and video review once I’ve given it back but first impressions are- Oh. My. God! What a machine, the dual clutch is a work of genius, the power is seemless with only a slight pause between high and low boxes, the variable steering is really useful and the infotainment touchscreen is loaded with apps, spotify, web browser, deezer, tune in etc, DAB radio and TomTom truck and all works so well. Obviously cost options I imagine but this is the first truck I’ve ever driven that makes me wish I ran a lorry of my own so I could buy one! Previously I considered the S Series Scania the best truck on the road currently but in my opinion at least it’s been swept aside by this beauty!

She’s a 540 with every option boxed ticked so it’s fascinating to see the available options. All in all I’m a bit like a kid at Christmas (I know the forum depressives won’t understand this but they don’t need to comment…)

Volvo are on fire at moment. Dual clutch, variable steering, lift axle 6x4’s, separate cab batteries all seem to be things no other manufacturer is even trying let alone making available. Long may it continue and come on everyone else, time to catch up

Give me a wave if you see me, hoping to head to Italy from deepest West Wales Friday

It’s been years since…

I drove an FH full auto and it was the best gearbox bar none back then. Untouchable in smoothness and ease of operation, I measured everything else on the market against it and nothing came close.

By your own admissions Luke, it had it’s work cut out with the new Scania but, seems to have beaten it already.

I look forward to your further experiences of it as a working vehicle.

yourhavingalarf:
By your own admissions Luke, it had it’s work cut out with the new Scania but, seems to have beaten it already.

I’d still say the S Series interior is marginally the better than the Volvo but everything else on the Volvo is so good that it doesn’t matter. We should also remember this shape FH is a good few years older than the S in design terms. Don’t know when a facelift is due but looking forward to seeing it

That Volvo transmission is amazing…would give you FH16 journey times with FH13 engine…plus better fuel than the stock one. But, uptake in the UK has been very poor, Volvo tell me.

Can’t beat the ‘V8’ trim inside the Scania, though. It’s almost Bentley class (remember Scania and Bentley are both VW Group)!

I’ve only driven the new shape FH couple of times and loved it, as you say the dual clutch is supposed to be great. will have to beg Volvo for a go!

switchlogic:
(I know the forum depressives won’t understand this but they don’t need to comment…)

I’m sure they will though. :confused:
I saw your post about this on facebook, I can’t believe people can spit their dummy because somebody thinks a certain manufacturer has made a better truck, it wasn’t even a criticism of their favoured make. :laughing:

So hilarious isn’t it, being called all sorts of names because I said I think this is better than the S Series Scania! I’ve never understood that weird devotion to a single manufacturer that some Scania fanboys (as well as others) exhibit

switchlogic:
So hilarious isn’t it, being called all sorts of names because I said I think this is better than the S Series Scania! I’ve never understood that weird devotion to a single manufacturer that some Scania fanboys (as well as others) exhibit

Oh the Scania fans, no they were ok and offered a reason and considered responses, :open_mouth: it was the Iveco fans I was thinking of. :laughing:

I’d love to understand the psychology behind the need some people have for a total devotion to a brand name.

I have to say the new Scania ugly, thought I would warm to it by now but it aint happening ( think I may be called a ■■■■■■ now by the Scania fans)

Iveco fans…

LMFAO!

switchlogic:

That’s because your only a blow in, for years and years scaina was the only good truck out there to buy, very expensive but great resale value, it takes a lot for a scaina driver to even admit to likeing the look of another truck, old hands

Looking forward to the latest vlog of this then ,I seen the facebore Scania fans :unamused: ,I wonder if Berty will make an appearance Luke :wink:

So, how does this Volvo wish fulfilment thing work, do you get two more wishes like a genie lamp?

Are there rules, can you wish an old FL10 back from the dead?

Stunning looking truck, love the colour too. I can see how there will be a lot who are envious. I doubt anyone could be so loyal to a particular brand to say that is not a beautiful truck, it will be more born out of jealousy.

Own Account Driver:
So, how does this Volvo wish fulfilment thing work, do you get two more wishes like a genie lamp?

! Be careful what you wish for !
Or did you loose your virginity in an FL10? Getting the truck back still wouldn’t bring that feeling back.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

nightline:

switchlogic:

That’s because your only a blow in, for years and years scaina was the only good truck out there to buy, very expensive but great resale value, it takes a lot for a scaina driver to even admit to likeing the look of another truck, old hands

It’s still weird old hand or not. 1. I’ve been driving a bit longer than the last five minutes, 2. Never has there been a time when Scania was the only decent truck to buy and 3. This whole resale value bobbins is just you getting your own money back.

Own Account Driver:

Shudder I still have nightmares about Icelands FL10’s.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed getting a FH4 500 last year .Driven a lot of stuff in my time but I don’t think the S series Scania comes close to the FH4.

switchlogic:
Volvo are on fire at moment. Dual clutch, variable steering, lift axle 6x4’s, separate cab batteries all seem to be things no other manufacturer is even trying let alone making available. Long may it continue and come on everyone else, time to catch up

What do you mean by “variable steering”? You forgot to add independent front axle to the list of £10k-a piece goodies that rarely ever get bought.

I drove a dual clutch 500 at the local preliminary of the Volvo fuel efficiency competition. Didn’t get the difference tbh.

milodon:

switchlogic:

What do you mean by “variable steering”? You forgot to add independent front axle to the list of £10k-a piece goodies that rarely ever get bought.

I drove a dual clutch 500 at the local preliminary of the Volvo fuel efficiency competition. Didn’t get the difference tbh.

Alas this doesn’t have independent front suspension, not available in right hand drive, hence I forgot about that. When low speed manoeuvring you could turn the steering with your little finger, at faster highway speeds it becomes heavier and more reactive to the road. As for not noticing the difference with the dual clutch? Are you sure it was a dual clutch? Constant power with no noticeable gear changes unless you look at rev counter is hard to miss.

You’re right, some features won’t get specced by many owners but today’s expensive extras are tomorrow’s standard equipment. If manufacturers didn’t push things forward then we’d never advance and right now I’m glad Volvo is because no one else seems to be bothering.