Visiting companies, a good idea?

Ok, me again… I have posted in other threads what I’m about to say but I thought it would be better to start my own thread on this as it may help other noobs aswel.
So passed my C back in early Jan. Since then i have been writing, emailing and phoning different company’s and agency’s but as yet no real luck. I’m sure this is a common for many other people. I was talking to one of our drivers who delivers where I work and he said to dress smart, put work gear in the car, and make a list of all the haulage company’s around my area and go visit them. This I am going to do hopefully this week. Was hoping to get a bit of advice on things I should look out for I.e what to wear and what to say. I have heard success stories on people doing this and landing themselfs a job. do I go in, and try and mention one of the first things is that I’m a new driver and have no
ExPerience? Part of me says yes because it shows I’m honest and part of me says no because they will just ask me to leave. This is the sort of thing I wanted an opinion about from people who know what their on about. The last thing I want it is to be given false hope so please don’t be affraid to say it how it is…

Regards. Clint

Hi Clint

Go for it what can you lose ? its hard for anyone to get a job never mind someone who has just passed if there are 20 haulage companies local to you and 19 laugh in your face but one says okay we will try you out (u only want one job!!!) all you need is a thick skin and if you want to be a truck driver you are gonna need that anyway , make sure that you have a really nice cv written up to go in with , as people say dress smart but take with you work shoes and a high viz jacket just in case , I passed my test in April last year and did not turn a wheel until september when finally got a break be polite friendly and for me I would tell the truth you are a newbie you need to sell your best points reliablility honest hard worker etc if you lie you will be found out the first time you go out ,

as I say what can you lose I wish you all the luck in the world bite the bullit go for it

Jennie x

He’s right. I have never known a haulage firm who would be irritated by you doing this and I have got an immediate start by doing it before.

Yep, dress smart but ready to go to work (PPE etc), make sure your car is clean and take night out gear with you, you may get a few knock-backs but equally you might find yourself in the right place at exactly the right time.

Good luck!

Harry Monk:
He’s right. I have never known a haulage firm who would be irritated by you doing this and I have got an immediate start by doing it before.

Yep, dress smart but ready to go to work (PPE etc), make sure your car is clean and take night out gear with you, you may get a few knock-backs but equally you might find yourself in the right place at exactly the right time.

Good luck!

Yep again HM very good sound advise I have done this always go Dresses none of this casual stuff but be prepared

Not a good idea on a Fri btw

Thanks for the comments, that’s the sort of thing I like to hear is that people have done this before and had success from it. Would a shirt and tie be ok or too OTT? I think it’s gonna be either this morning or Thursday morning I’ll give it a go. I’ve made my list of 15 companies to try, could possibly make it up to 20. Thanks again and any more info on this would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Clint

A shirt and tie wouldn’t hurt, the high viz vest is the most important part though… if you have a printer then print out your contact details and if, when you visit a firm they say they don’t have anything right now, leave those details with them, no haulier minds having details of somebody who could do a job for them at short notice in an emergency.

clint let me know how you get on also would you mind pm ing me the list you got so i can try the same tacticts once back on my feet got my mod 4 tommorrow morning fingers crossed im going to apply for my digi card after my operation as got 6-8 weeks of bordom to overcome might nstart looking after 3 weeks as can start driving again after 2 also morris and perry and westbury packaging are advertising in thursdays papers. did framptons get back to you i never heard back

yes cbarnes i will email you the list i made however it isnt an exahaustive one. ive decided tomorrow morning is the day to do it. soon as i finsh work at 7am its off home to get changed. i want to get the balance right of being confident and not looking too desperate. whats the first thing i should say when i arrive? " hi im enquiring about some class 2 work" or “i have recently aquired my licence and am looking for some class 2 work” what would your opinions be on the first thing to say?. ive always been told and know that first impression are the ones that count. got the high viz and work clothes ready also. good luck with your mod 4 tomorrow cbarnes. remember if you think you should say it then say it. just remember to talk whilst demonstrating. i never heard back from framptons either so i phoned them and they said that if ive not heard nothing then i should assume that ive not been successfull.
thanks again people of TNUK :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

regards

Clint

first job i got was for a fruit and veg company 3am start companies like this find it hard to get drivers and keep them try this type its crap work but prove yourself at this type and others will treat you better

I have done the fruit & veg market at TVTE was hol cover for 2 weeks yep 3 am starts :unamused: but as you said they find it hard to keep drivers the plus side is you finish early

animal:
I have done the fruit & veg market at TVTE was hol cover for 2 weeks yep 3 am starts :unamused: but as you said they find it hard to keep drivers the plus side is you finish early

then go to the market bar :laughing: who did you work for :question:

Sorry for sounding a bit dim but what is TVTE?

Clint.thee.trucker:
Sorry for sounding a bit dim but what is TVTE?

Its team valley trading est in gateshead your not dim no reason its should mean anything to you

An update for all the kind people that have given me advice. So this morning (Thursday) I set out with shirt and tie on. Folder with all my docs in, rucksack with all my work gear in and a list of companies to vist. On the way to the first one on my list I had to pass one that I put an application form into a few weeks ago. I though well maybe it won’t hurt to pop in and see them. So I went in and said to the receptionist that put an application in but didn’t hear anything. So she took my name and went to see the company director. After a few mins she came back and said " he wants to see you, he will be out in a few minutes". Following that he came out and invited me to his office. “bloody hell” I’m thinking. We done the introductions and he said “how weard is that, I was just looking through our application forms and look who’s was on top the pile” yes it was mine!!! A pile that was 2 inches thick. He was about to write to me to invite me for an interview but said seeing as I was already there he would do a quick one now. So we went through the company history. I told him about myself and my career prospects. He then told me about the vacant position. He then took me for a walk around the depot and to meet a few people. What he said next I couldn’t quite believe. He said" here’s the deal, I like what you have told me about yourself. I know you are a new young driver but that doesn’t bother me one bit. And you have inspired me by getting off your arse and go looking for work. So 7am tomorrow morning (Friday) I want you to be here, to take that lorry out there (a 10T scania) with one of our guys. If you enjoy it and your prepared to work hard. The jobs yours!!!"

I couldn’t belive it. In the space of half an hour I went from being a new driver with no experience at all , to a new driver with no experience at all with massive opportunity to get my first job as a proper professional driver. So 7am it’s game on.
I can’t thank people enough for their kind support and advice.
I will post how it went when I get back this evening.
:grimacing: :grimacing:

Regards

Clint

Fair play to you mate , what an excellent result :wink: :grimacing: bet you were on cloud nine :sunglasses: .

Good luck today with the drive ,hope it works out , your prospective new boss sounds an ok guy to me :slight_smile:

Got my c test today at 10.30 , feeling confident about it so hopefuly we come out happy :stuck_out_tongue:
Just hope my search for work is as fruitfull as yours .

cheers mike

Excellent result, well done!

well done mate keep me posted who is that with anyway

Congratulations

See you bite the bullit and results happen and you didnt even get a knock back result Im so pleased for you

enjoy your day and let us know how you get on

Jennie x

Well Done

see we did tell you :laughing: :laughing:

well done mate :smiley: